Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-12-2010, 01:21 PM   #46
SameerH
Product Manager
SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
The Kobo eReader does run linux.
SameerH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 01:45 PM   #47
anidel
Zealot
anidel doesn't litteranidel doesn't litter

Device: Kobo,Nokia N900
Quote:
Originally Posted by SameerH View Post
The Kobo eReader does run linux.
Which version, if we may ask?

Usually is a Montavista distro ...
anidel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 09:07 AM   #48
mlstein
Enthusiast
mlstein knows what time it ismlstein knows what time it ismlstein knows what time it ismlstein knows what time it ismlstein knows what time it ismlstein knows what time it ismlstein knows what time it ismlstein knows what time it ismlstein knows what time it ismlstein knows what time it ismlstein knows what time it is

Device: iPad (one)
Yes, it's running just fine on Ubuntu 10.4. I sort of doubt that Borders will be as thoughtful.
mlstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 02:12 PM   #49
luqmaninbmore
Da'i
luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Toshiba Thrive, Kobo Touch, Kindle 1, Aluratek Libre, T-Mobile Comet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kicou View Post
It's nice to see that finally, Linux may have access to commercial ebooks! I have a Sony PRS-600 and was considering buying a Kobo Reader for my daughter (played with it in a Chapters store, I really like it, especially the black flavour).

I'd definitely buy ebooks if I could, but there is no way I am installing Windows or MacOS on any of my systems. BTW, I upgraded 3 of our machines to Ubuntu 10.04, it really makes a great desktop system, my 10 year old daughter loves it
EReader also runs on linux.
luqmaninbmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 02:36 PM   #50
sbaird
sbaird began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Kobo Desktop App for Ubuntu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinodoc View Post
I have tried to pm a couple times and it looks like it goes through but I have nothing in my sent mailbox. So I thought I would post here as well.

I would like a a copy for my 32bit ubuntu system if you don't mind.

Thanks for showing support for linux.
Me too (32 bit ubunto).

Thanks.

Stu
sbaird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 08:15 PM   #51
Spinner
Bibliofreak
Spinner began at the beginning.

Device: kobo
PM'd with a request for a link; I'm running Ubuntu 9.10/64bit. If anybody else has a link handy....?

Chuffed that a 'nix version is being made available so quickly, too. Usually we have to wait much longer.
Spinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 11:13 PM   #52
dannyb
dannyb began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo eReader
PM'd asking for a link, but if anyone has a Ubuntu 10.04/64bit link handy could you please PM me?
Just bought one of these and dying to try it out with one of my PDFs

Great to see they're thinking about Linux support.
dannyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 02:22 AM   #53
Rodney9
Rodney9 began at the beginning.

Device: kobo
I tried sending a message also, but my outbox is empty.

Thank you for supporting Linux , I would love to see support for Ubuntu 10.4 64bit.

Rodney
Rodney9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 04:57 PM   #54
timlegge
Addict
timlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than mom

Device: Kobo, Kobo Wifi, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyb View Post
PM'd asking for a link, but if anyone has a Ubuntu 10.04/64bit link handy could you please PM me?
Just bought one of these and dying to try it out with one of my PDFs

Great to see they're thinking about Linux support.
Simply copy the pdf to the device when plugged into the computer. Linux treats it as a USB drive and the device pulls recognizes the pdf (at least that is what I remember for the one I copied to it.
timlegge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 06:17 PM   #55
kawk256
kawk256 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo E-reader
I've sent a P.M. But if someone can point me towards a link for x86_64 platforms (I'm running Arch, Debian, and Ubuntu) or x86 platforms, I suppose, it would be very much appreciated.

Thank you, Kobo, for your work on this! It is great to see an e-book reader running Linux, and even better to see a desktop synchronization application for Linux.

Also, timlegge: do note that the Kobo's flash device does not have partitions, and the node in /dev/ is actually /dev/sd[abc...], not /dev/sd[abc...]1 like most flash drives are. If you're not using auto-mounting (like me), then be warned.
kawk256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 06:36 PM   #56
darkadept
darkadept began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo eReader
If there is an x86_64 build out there the person that has it should definitely post here.
But in the meantime you can install the 32 bit version on 64 bit linux. I had to force install the .deb (under ubuntu) with dpkg but it runs just fine. (I also have the ia32 libs installed as well).
darkadept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 08:05 AM   #57
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
Can someone PM or post a link to download the 32-bit version (using Ubuntu so if there is a .deb available....). I sent a PM for a copy a while ago, never heard back, rather keen.
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 02:20 AM   #58
DHR
DHR began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo original, Kobo Vox, iPad1, HP TouchPad, BB PlayBook
I just got a Kobo. My desktop is 64-bit Fedora 11 but I expect to switch to Fedora 13 soon. I won't bother to ask for a Kobo Desktop for my system until I've updated.

What would a Kobo Desktop do for me? Just allow me to purchase ebooks from the Kobo site? Would it let me deal with Adobe Digital Editions DRM (such as used by the Toronto Public Library)?

So far the only ebooks that I've purchased have been from O'Reilly and hence DRM-free. I've loaded them onto my Kobo without any special tool: just treating it as a USB Mass Storage device.

In the Fedora world, i386 packages work fine in an x86-64 system so only the 32-bit version would be needed.

I didn't notice the Linux kernel listed in the extensive "about" screens. Boy, the LGPL and GPL licenses look long on the Kobo.

I didn't see any offer for the sources that must be released. Did I miss something?
DHR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 07:36 AM   #59
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
I need to update my machine to Ubuntu 10.04 to get the software running (libc6 is a version behind), so later on in the week I'll be able to tell you what it actually offers.

With Adobe Digital Editions in case you aren't aware, it successfully runs under Wine (I personally have it running under Crossover Office without any hassle at all, even updates itself when needed). Only niggling issue I found was I need to have my reader plugged in and mounted before running ADE, otherwise it doesn't see it (no biggie I guess).
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 07:37 AM   #60
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by DHR View Post
What would a Kobo Desktop do for me? Just allow me to purchase ebooks from the Kobo site? Would it let me deal with Adobe Digital Editions DRM (such as used by the Toronto Public Library)?
The Kobo Desktop will right now let you synchronize books in Kobo format bought from their website.

We've been told though that it is also the tool that will perform firmware upgrades on the Kobo. There is also the possibility that newer versions will let us manage the 100 free books preinstalled on the Kobo.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
desktop, kobo, linux, software