Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Archive > Handhelds and Smartphones

Notices

Old 07-19-2007, 11:39 AM   #16
stxopher
Nameless Being

I don't think that that lapinator thingamabob will cause any unusual temperature increases since it's a hard surface to begin with (which places it equal to a table) and then looks like it raises the 'puter a little more for more airflow. (Disclaimer: I use a homebuilt plywood "bean" myself when working from the couch so may be prejudiced about said uses.)

I like the idea of luggable computing. That's what most laptops I know get used for anyway. It's just nice having the same computer with you at the office, classes, home, vacation. Life's just easier when the main tool you use is the same wherever you use it. You always know what programs you have, what docs are available, what shortcuts, macros and quick-keys are in use. Plus some of us are getting to old to remember complete layouts for 2, 3 or even 4 different systems.

Now combine this with the conductive charger so you can just pop it on a desk plate and it's powered and we're all set!

Old 07-19-2007, 12:45 PM   #17
Leaping Gnome
Evangelist
Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Marquard View Post
The second problem is that the protector shields your balls from heat, but the consequence is sending the heat back into the laptop. I very much doubt that it will survive long.
Actually, the lapinator has raised bumpers on it to rest the back half of the laptop on, creating some airspace between the laptop and the board. Tests on review sites have shown this actually keeps the laptop cooler than just resting the laptop on a desk.
Old 07-19-2007, 01:29 PM   #18
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Coming to think about it my first Mac, the 512 was considered a lugable and cost $3600 at the time. My! What will it be in an other 23 years?
Old 07-21-2007, 12:10 PM   #19
stxopher
Nameless Being

Cripes, I forgot all about that era of "portability". By the definitions of that time my desktop would be considered "lugggable"!

Old 07-23-2007, 07:09 AM   #20
jasonkchapman
Guru
jasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it is

Device: Sony Reader, nook, Droid, nookColor, nookTablet
I used to do custom software and systems back in the CP/M days, when the "portable computer" first became a hot idea (Osborne I, Kaypro, Zorba, and Compaq). Those things were the size and weight of portable sewing machines. (They tended to look like them, too.)

For one brief, shining moment in history, computer geeks had muscles.
Old 07-23-2007, 07:35 PM   #21
Azayzel
Cache Ninja!
Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500, HTC Shift, iPod Touch, iPaq 4150, TC1100, Panasonic WordsGear
I can see it now, pay-per-slot power outlets at all your major coffee houses! Seriously though, I don't think this idea will fly too well considering the lack of outlets available, even in a school setting. I also don't think people will want to be lugging around a huge notebook, regardless of the weight; people want something small, lightweight, and easy to carry around.

Now, if the whole cordless power thing ever gets off the ground, we might see something like this as being a bit more versatile; but I still don't think the concept of a batteryless laptop taking off.
Old 07-23-2007, 11:25 PM   #22
citius
citius is on a distinguished road

Device: None
I must concur...

I've had shoddy battery life for my laptop the entire time; the only thing I use my 2 minutes of battery life for is to switch from outlet to outlet, and I'm running all the time. We need a new system about these batteries....
Old 07-24-2007, 01:55 PM   #23
dmikov
Addict
dmikov has learned how to read e-booksdmikov has learned how to read e-booksdmikov has learned how to read e-booksdmikov has learned how to read e-booksdmikov has learned how to read e-booksdmikov has learned how to read e-booksdmikov has learned how to read e-booksdmikov has learned how to read e-books

Device: REB1200; REB2150; Sony 500/350; EZReader; IREX DR800SG; Nook/Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmeister0 View Post
The concept is fine. I'd love one myself, but it doesn't necessarily give me anything that having one work and one home computer and a portable usb drive doesn't. Getting rid of the brick is a nice touch. But where's the handle?

Dell's XPS M2010 does kinda the same thing: http://www.dell.com/content/products...=19&l=en&s=dhs

I've owned three Samsung products in my life and regretted every single one of them, so there's no way in heck I'd buy a computer with their name on it.

Of course, being laptop designs, these things tend to have ridiculous price tags attached.
I have to agree, Dell does it much better in luggable department. It is desktop functional and better transportable.
The only issue $2990 price tag on Dell vs $1100, but then again the Samsung is vaporware. Dell might cost the same at Samsung launch.
Old 07-24-2007, 04:24 PM   #24
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
And on the other end of the spectrum is the UMPC. The low cost ASUS looks to be in my future one day soon. (I wonder if it can be one of the devices on my Sony account.)
Old 07-25-2007, 04:43 PM   #25
JAcheson
Tech Writer
JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, Nook Color, Nook Simple Touch, Vizio Tablet, Nexus 10
I've seen "desknote" designs like this for a long time now.

The problem is, you're getting all the ergonomic shortcomings of the laptop, without the advantage of being able to take it with you and run off the battery.

It's also typically less upgradeable than a desktop is.