Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Reading and Management

Notices

Old 02-19-2010, 09:12 AM   #1
StevenXL
StevenXL began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Kindle, DRM, and Confussion

Hello all. I just got a Kindle and have a couple of questions regarding eBook management. I hope some of you guys can help me out here. I searched for some of the answers to these questions before posting, but some where incomplete.

(1) I understand that Calibre can convert eBooks between many different formats (http://calibre-ebook.com/user_manual/faq.html#id6). I would like to convert DRM epub and mobi books that I borrow from my library into my Kindle. The Calibre FAQ does not address conversion of DRM files. Will Calibre work with DRMed ePub and mobi books?

(2) I have downloaded some free Project Gutenberg (currently reading Don Quixote), and was wondering if I can keep the notes, bookmarks, highlights, etc. that I have for this book if I decided to get rid of my Kindle. I doubt that the Kindle stores this information on the mobi book itself, or in a format that can be read by non-Kindle software / hardware.

Thanks for the help with these questions ladies & gents.

- Seven
StevenXL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 09:29 AM   #2
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Calibre can manage DRMed (encrypted) ebooks, but it can't convert them to another format. In the case of MOBI lending library ebooks it is possible to read them on the Kindle using the script kindlefix.py, which does not remove the DRM. You can also remove MOBI DRM using mobidedrm.py and ePub DRM using ineptepub.pyw.

The Kindle notes (and clippings) are stored in a plain text file, so these are in principle portable to a non-Kindle. However, the Kindle's address scheme for where the note is placed in the ebook is specific to the Kindle.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 11:01 AM   #3
StevenXL

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
Calibre can manage DRMed (encrypted) ebooks, but it can't convert them to another format. In the case of MOBI lending library ebooks it is possible to read them on the Kindle using the script kindlefix.py, which does not remove the DRM. You can also remove MOBI DRM using mobidedrm.py and ePub DRM using ineptepub.pyw.

The Kindle notes (and clippings) are stored in a plain text file, so these are in principle portable to a non-Kindle. However, the Kindle's address scheme for where the note is placed in the ebook is specific to the Kindle.

wallcraft, that was a great answer. Thank you.

I guess my only consideration at this point then would be if it's worth the move to a Sony reader (really the only other brand I am considering) for the SDHC cards available to expand memory. (I'm not a big fan of touchscreens, but I do like the wireless. Sony doesn't offer no-touchscreen + wireless).

I guess that's a conversation for another post.

Thanks again!!
Old 02-26-2010, 05:22 PM   #4
StevenXL

What does Calibre do in terms of Whispernet? If I manage my books through Calibre, will it interfere (enchance?) the Whispernet service.
Old 02-26-2010, 05:50 PM   #5
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenXL View Post
What does Calibre do in terms of Whispernet? If I manage my books through Calibre, will it interfere (enchance?) the Whispernet service.
It will neither interfere with or enhance Whispernet.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 11:34 AM   #6
ddfen
ddfen began at the beginning.

Device: Astak EZ Reader and Kindle
how do I use kindlefix?

[QUOTE=wallcraft;796544]Calibre can manage DRMed (encrypted) ebooks, but it can't convert them to another format. In the case of MOBI lending library ebooks it is possible to read them on the Kindle using the script kindlefix.py, which does not remove the DRM. You can also remove MOBI DRM using mobidedrm.py and ePub DRM using ineptepub.pyw.

thanks for this really good reply ..
I understand that I can use software to get a Kindle PID and to get the mobi library books on to my Kindle, but am clueless how this works. I have not been able to find directions in the last couple of hours.
D
ddfen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 01:07 PM   #7
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddfen View Post
I understand that I can use software to get a Kindle PID and to get the mobi library books on to my Kindle, but am clueless how this works.
There used to be really detailed instructions in the Wiki, but Amazon asked for them to be removed. Short form: find KindlePID, give PID to library (must be your only PID at the library), get MOBI, run kindlefix, read on Kindle.

The standard approach uses python scripts and the command window. If you are familiar with these then a Google search for kindlefix will find the Reversing Everything blog that should be all you need.

If you want something easier, then look for tools_v1.4 in the recent comments (there are now more than 1,000 comments) to the Darkreverser's weblog. You will still need Python, but these tools are "clickable" like most Windows apps. The Kindleizer.pyw script is a version of kindlefix.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calibre, convert, drm, epub, mobi