Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 01-19-2010, 02:20 PM   #46
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
OMG I can't believe this. Apple is the king of hype and people continue to follow along like happy little sheep....

It's this sort of thing -- this manipulation --that turns me against Apple regardless of how good or bad their products are.
(Holding up my iPod Touch) And yet... it still works. (To paraphrase Galileo)

Look, I'm not saying that Apple's products are vastly superior to the various WinPC flavors, just that there *is* a niche here for an Apple tablet pc. Can't imagine that I would buy one if it runs $1,000 - I'd probably wait for a WinDoze clone for half that price (and then put Snow Leopard on it) - but I like the fact that there's still a different hardware/OS stream out there from the WinPC universe.

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 02:36 PM   #47
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by delphidb96 View Post
(Holding up my iPod Touch) And yet... it still works. (To paraphrase Galileo)

Look, I'm not saying that Apple's products are vastly superior to the various WinPC flavors, just that there *is* a niche here for an Apple tablet pc. Can't imagine that I would buy one if it runs $1,000 - I'd probably wait for a WinDoze clone for half that price (and then put Snow Leopard on it) - but I like the fact that there's still a different hardware/OS stream out there from the WinPC universe.

Derek
It's all fine and good, when the product exists. Most discussion about an Apple tablet is emotion on top of presumption on top of speculation. When it exists, all the silly discussion about will be legitimate. Right now though, it does not exist. There are no real specs, no real known hardware or software, no real prices, no real anything. Even if some of the Apple fanboy supposition becomes reality, it still does not vindicate the idiocy of playing into Apple's unpleasant but sadly effective marketing tactics before the product even exists.
LDBoblo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 02:38 PM   #48
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
Let's not put the cart a parsec before the horse.

Creating a forum for a new and exciting device from any manufacturer makes sense. Creating a forum for a rumored device that has been repeatedly denied by the purported manufacturer does not.

Let them announce it, then see if it can display ebooks in at least one format. If so, sure. Until then, it's premature.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 02:57 PM   #49
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
What? No one's doing a countdown to the day when Apple announces their suspected device? After so many eons anticipation I would have thought some people were counting the minutes.
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 03:21 PM   #50
CyGuy
Avid Reader
CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 902, Galaxy Tab 2 7.0, ASUS TF700, and Cybook Gen III
I predict the tablet market will take off in a huge way, but definitely not the Apple tablet. The tablet to have will come with Windows7 installed.

I vote NO to a dedicated section for the Apple tablet.
CyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 04:48 PM   #51
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivaldirules View Post
What? No one's doing a countdown to the day when Apple announces their suspected device? After so many eons anticipation I would have thought some people were counting the minutes.
You mean this:
http://www.9to5mac.com/tablet-countd...ntelligence%29
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 05:01 PM   #52
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
The iPod revolutionized MP3 players, the iPhone did the same to smart phones so I think writing off Apple before the device comes out is premature. They are a very good hardware design company and with OS X they have a solid OS that runs on all kinds of devices.

You know it will have a more aesthetically pleasing design that other tablets, will have iTunes and appstore integration (a BIG deal for games, apps, music videos, TV, movies and easy to add ebooks to that system).

However I'm not totally convinced this is the tablet. The colors look like iPod colors!! It could be new ipods, how crushed will the Apple fans be then?
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 05:03 PM   #53
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by fugazied View Post
The iPod revolutionized MP3 players, the iPhone did the same to smart phones so I think writing off Apple before the device comes out is premature. They are a very good hardware design company and with OS X they have a solid OS that runs on all kinds of devices.

You know it will have a more aesthetically pleasing design that other tablets, will have iTunes and appstore integration (a BIG deal for games, apps, music videos, TV, movies and easy to add ebooks to that system).

However I'm not totally convinced this is the tablet. The colors look like iPod colors!! It could be new ipods, how crushed will the Apple fans be then?
Nope. That is entirely hype.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 05:10 PM   #54
CyGuy
Avid Reader
CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 902, Galaxy Tab 2 7.0, ASUS TF700, and Cybook Gen III
Quote:

I have never owned any Apple product, but I have friends who have iPods and iPhones. I actually tried an iPod once. I found you can't copy paste music to/from the device directly. That is a no-sale. I can't believe so many people fell for that.

With the iPhone, you don't have the ability to install any application you want from any vendor you want, you have to purchase from appstore. I can't believe so many people fell for that either.

I guess there really is one born every minute...
CyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 05:12 PM   #55
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
Quote:

Also, and I'm not being pro or against, Apple does have their new LP format up their sleeves (which I've been trying to recreate this week). It's basically just HTML with a new wrapper, but it could so easily be adopted for a 'richer' reading experience. Apple would have their LP going up against ePub (like aac vs mp3).

I'm guessing a modified version of Apple LP will become the 'book' format and that the tablet will be released on the 27th to bring them into a full sweep of digital entertainment - movies, books, music, internet, games. The publishers will love it, because it's folded into Apple's 'store' and they can control it more easily while at the same time mimicking the traditional 2-page book layout will appeal to the 'book collector' as Apple are hoping the LP will appeal to music/album collectors.

Some more information on the LP format.
http://www.tuaw.com/2009/09/15/insid...nes-lp-format/
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 05:13 PM   #56
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyGuy View Post
..I actually tried an iPod once. I found you can't copy paste music to/from the device directly. That is a no-sale. ...

Yep, and yep.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 05:17 PM   #57
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moejoe View Post
Also, and I'm not being pro or against, Apple does have their new LP format up their sleeves (which I've been trying to recreate this week). It's basically just HTML with a new wrapper, but it could so easily be adopted for a 'richer' reading experience. Apple would have their LP going up against ePub (like aac vs mp3).

I'm guessing a modified version of Apple LP will become the 'book' format and that the tablet will be released on the 27th to bring them into a full sweep of digital entertainment - movies, books, music, internet, games. The publishers will love it, because it's folded into Apple's 'store' and they can control it more easily while at the same time mimicking the traditional 2-page book layout will appeal to the 'book collector' as Apple are hoping the LP will appeal to music/album collectors.

Some more information on the LP format.
http://www.tuaw.com/2009/09/15/insid...nes-lp-format/
MoeJoe, this makes more sense than just about anything else I've seen. Pardon my cynicism, but I think you're right: The only way Apple is going to get into ebooks is with their own proprietary DRM. I'm still not sure Apple will EVER release a tablet, but if they did - yeah, that's probably the route they'd take.
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 06:33 PM   #58
stustaff
Wizard
stustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it is

Device: sony reader PRS505 and 600
Quote:
I have never owned any Apple product, but I have friends who have iPods and iPhones. I actually tried an iPod once. I found you can't copy paste music to/from the device directly. That is a no-sale. I can't believe so many people fell for that.

With the iPhone, you don't have the ability to install any application you want from any vendor you want, you have to purchase from appstore. I can't believe so many people fell for that either.

because its so easy, im a pretty sensible guy.

But even I get that with an ipod i CAN copy and paste music to it using itunes, using itunes for me and most people is a complete non issue!
In fact I can put a cd in my computer rip it in iTunes, it adds cover art and song titles and drops it on my iPod, I see no issue with that process.
If I already have the song on my mp3 I put i drag and drop it into my itunes playlist and it is then auto added to my iPod. again it just works. lets compare the two

Open folder containing existing MP3 >drag it onto itunes playlist>connect iPod = done

Open folder containing existing MP3 >connect generic player>Right click and copy/or have a window open for player and file> paste device or complete drag and drop = Done

Its just a different way of achieving the same thing, if you dont like it then fine but I see no reason to dismiss what is teh most popular MP3 player in the world for such a trivial reason that actually isnt even one of the main reasons for not having one.

My friend has an android phone and can get apps from ANY vendor I have an iPhone... guess who has more choices.

Oh and I havent downloaded a fake bank app that stole my personal details from Apple recently can the same be said for Android?

based on previous portable hardware the Apple tablet, should it exist and should it be launched will certainly polarize opinion. but if it performs even close to the iPod and iPhone it will be THE choice for Joe Public.

Thats why it will get a place on the forum.(oh and for me that place should be in the existing Apple spot)

Speculation here but i think the apple tablet will very quickly become the most popular Ereader for news and magazine, and by default not the best but the most popular portable device for reading text on electronically.

If you allow the iPhone,Ipod Touch and tablet to be seen as a group of devices and Apple make getting Ebooks possible via iTunes on the device then we will start 2010 with a big battle between Amazon and Apple... or Apple will stay out of Books and push the iSlate Kindle app.... one or the other.
stustaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 06:38 PM   #59
hidari
MR Drone
hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360+, Huawei MP5, Libra H20
Quote:
I predict the tablet market will take off in a huge way, but definitely not the Apple tablet. The tablet to have will come with Windows7 installed.

I vote NO to a dedicated section for the Apple tablet.
Thank you .... and agree with your prediction...No to a dedicated apple tablet forum...

All you MACHEADS...... There are many TABLETS already on the market...IF you want a tablet so much....look around. MR has done several reviews of some good tablets. Sounds like MACLEMMINGS to me. Only when Apple releases a product will they buy it.

Then they revolutionize that 'field'.

Hello MACHEADS: Wake up and smell the coffee. They did not revolutionize MP3's or smart phones. My Casio phone does more than an iphone and it is an average phone here in Japan.

IF Apple released a MACTOILET Brush would you MACHEADS buy that as well?
hidari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 06:48 PM   #60
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by hidari View Post
Thank you .... and agree with your prediction...No to a dedicated apple tablet forum...

All you MACHEADS...... There are many TABLETS already on the market...IF you want a tablet so much....look around. MR has done several reviews of some good tablets. Sounds like MACLEMMINGS to me. Only when Apple releases a product will they buy it.

Then they revolutionize that 'field'.

Hello MACHEADS: Wake up and smell the coffee. They did not revolutionize MP3's or smart phones. My Casio phone does more than an iphone and it is an average phone here in Japan.

IF Apple released a MACTOILET Brush would you MACHEADS buy that as well?
You are using "MACHEAD" as in a "polite" way, like yvanleterrible spells "aAple" https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...=68330&page=19
right?

Thanks for the warm welcome.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote