Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-29-2009, 10:15 PM   #1
GSprunk
GSprunk began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 505
Reader Library not loading after upgrade

I hope somone can help on this. I have been a user of Sony E-Books since the beginning and have about 75 books in my library. I currently have a PRS-505. I am running XP SP3. After updating to the current software, version 3.1, I find that the Reader Library program wont activate and load. It is running in Task Manager however. I double click on the icon and it shows the hourglass for a couple seconds and that is it. I spent an hour on the phone with Sony, they elevated me twice adn said there is a known issue with the update and we went through everything including DEP, running from a command line, deleting the files as mentioned in previous posts and still nothing. Turned off virus scan (Trend), re-installed, nothing. The program wont load up. Any ideas?

Last edited by GSprunk; 12-29-2009 at 10:18 PM.
GSprunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 05:35 PM   #2
Rubz
Rubz began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
I'll let you know as soon as they fix it for me......

I spent about an hour and a half on the phone with Sony tech support. I went up to the highest level that was working today. Now I'm waiting from someone out of San Diego (presumably a programmer) to call me. You're not the only one with the problem, and I'll post a fix as soon as I have one.
Rubz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 11:48 AM   #3
aldovanucci
aldovanucci began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
Look at this post: http://afterthefox.blogspot.com/

This is what worked for me after about two weeks of frustration. I compiled the information from this and other forums and finally got it working!
aldovanucci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 01:42 PM   #4
kfarmer
Gizzzzmo Nerd
kfarmer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kfarmer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kfarmer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kfarmer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kfarmer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kfarmer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kfarmer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kfarmer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kfarmer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kfarmer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kfarmer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by aldovanucci View Post
Look at this post: http://afterthefox.blogspot.com/

This is what worked for me after about two weeks of frustration. I compiled the information from this and other forums and finally got it working!
This is one of the standard things that the second level support takes people through before sending them to the top.
kfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 01:52 PM   #5
kfarmer
Gizzzzmo Nerd
kfarmer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kfarmer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kfarmer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kfarmer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kfarmer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kfarmer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kfarmer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kfarmer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kfarmer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kfarmer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kfarmer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad
In fact, I already narrowed it down (in my case) to some bad interaction with the DHCP Client service. The folks at Sony were stunned when I demonstrated it to them, and quite happy. If you would go to this thread, there are repro steps to see if it's the same case as yours (my box happens to be Win7 x64 Ultimate, not XP):

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...t=65074&page=2

To re-iterate what I've said before: DEP is not an answer. DEP is a mechanism to prevent programs from executing random data as if they were program instructions. If a piece of software requires an exception to DEP, something is wrong with that software.
kfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 12:59 AM   #6
GSprunk

Thanks for the suggestions and replies but no go. I tried all of the above. No luck. Unf#$$&^believable. I am about done with these idiots at Sony. I have never liked the software interface but I loved the book. I have Calibre but can't download any books from the Sony ebook store. I wonder how much revenue they have lost. I also was talking to high level tech support and they have no answer. Frustrating!!!!!

Last edited by GSprunk; 01-07-2010 at 01:17 AM.
Old 01-07-2010, 11:11 AM   #7
twinszz
Connoisseur
twinszz will become famous soon enoughtwinszz will become famous soon enoughtwinszz will become famous soon enoughtwinszz will become famous soon enoughtwinszz will become famous soon enoughtwinszz will become famous soon enough

Device: prs 300, 600, 950, 350, & T1
Hi everyone, I don't know if you are running Calibre or another program like it while trying to open the EBL. If you are, you will have constant issues with the EBL. I had Calibre open moving books from it to the EBL. The EBL shut down and hasn't worked right until I went to the safe mode and signed onto my computer under a different user. Works perfectly there. But, I want it to work under my logon. Working on that now.

So, if you have other ebook library software open, close it then try to open the sony library. Remember, calibre has a file where the books are where you don't have to open the sony library. You can just drag and drop your books to the EBL.
twinszz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 03:14 PM   #8
GSprunk

No I dont have Calibre loaded when trying to open it up. Thanks for the suggestion though. Can I purchase e-books somewhere else other than Sony and download them to the reader through Calibre? If so, any recomendations? I have only used the Sony library in the past. Thanks in advance.
Old 01-09-2010, 04:21 PM   #9
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSprunk View Post
Can I purchase e-books somewhere else other than Sony and download them to the reader through Calibre?
Yes - almost anywhere that sells EPUB format for a start - there's a post "Where to obtain eBooks for your Reader" on my site that has number of suggestions & while the site is focused on UK readers, only 2 of the sources are UK-specific.
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 10:29 AM   #10
GSprunk

Thanks! Very helpful and much appreciated.
Old 01-22-2010, 08:35 PM   #11
Sullivan
Connoisseur
Sullivan began at the beginning.

Device: none
Cheers for the link, good for future reference.
Sullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 04:32 PM   #12
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
Thanks for the links in this thread! My new laptop (Vista 64 bit) won't run 3.1, just launches and closes instantly. I'll try some of the tips mentioned elsewhere. What a pain!

edit - just changing my DEP setting to 'only critical Windows services' fixed it. Yay!

Last edited by Penforhire; 01-28-2010 at 10:06 PM.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 08:54 AM   #13
pamulla
pamulla began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
I was using the EReader library software upgrade until yesterday. I purchased 2 books and was trying to sync and download. It hung so I closed it and was unable to open again after that. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling from the CD which is vers. 2.2, then I downloaded the new version from the internet.
The old vers wouldn't install; the new version installed but won't work. I ended up on a web site that is offering firmware that you have to send your ebook to sony to have installed OR a coupon towards the purchase of a new reader. Frankly, if I were buying a new reader, I would get a Kindle.
Is a 505 virtually the same as the 500?
pamulla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 07:00 PM   #14
pamulla
pamulla began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Thanks Aldo Vanucci. It worked although the library is empty and won't sync with the library on the ereader.
pamulla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 04:51 PM   #15
GSprunk

Just wanted to give an update. I downloaded the new Sony eBook Reader software verion 3.1 today and I am good to go. Had to re-import my books but everything else is perfect. Got a personal phone call from a Sony tech on the home phone informing me of the update. Nice.