Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Fictionwise eBookwise

Notices

Old 12-06-2009, 11:04 AM   #1
HorridRedDog
Addict
HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: PRS-600 EB-1150
EB-1150 Vs PRS-600

I've had the EB-1150 about a year but really really wanted a sleek / lightweight Sony Touch reader. So I finally got one 2 weeks ago.

Am I now happy? Don't know, still trying to figure that one out.

1) The Sony, e-paper, is great in direct sunlight. But I like to read with a table lamp (50 watt - 3 way) behind and to my left. The touch edition does have a problem with glare and reflections. Not insurmountable though and you soon get used to turning it at the correct angle. In all, the EB-1150 is easier for me to read in this setting.

2) PDFs - Sony does this VERY well and is something I need/want because of the manuals I use. Sorry, EB-1150, but I need PDF reflow with charts and diagrams.

3) Gray scale - Again, the PRS-600 wins on this one - 8 versus 4 on the EB-1150. Not realy! The touch surface adds a layer that darkens the screen. So the effect creates muddy looking "pictures". Using the "same" book with pictures on the 600 and the 1150 (side by side) I found that the image on the 1150 was easyer to understand (just not pretty).

4) Weight - The EB-1150 is actually easier to hold one handed than the lighter Sony.

5) E-paper Vs EB-1150 screen - E-paper looks, and is, GREAT. EB1150 backlit screen has very limited glare, is great in dim lighting, and has never caused me any eye problems.

6) Software - Sony eBook Library does the job, but needs to be replaced.
EBW Librarian does the job, but is not much better than Sony.

7) Memory - Really a non issue. In practice most of us can't deal with hundreds of books on an ereader. I keep 10 - 20 books on each one and delete them from the reader after I have read them. I still have them on my computer anyway.

8) Interface - Sony - great
EB-1150 good enough.

9) DRM books - Sony wins.

Recommendations - except for PDF reflow, charts and diagrams (which I need) I would recommend the EB-1150.

Last edited by HorridRedDog; 12-06-2009 at 11:09 AM.
HorridRedDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 10:45 PM   #2
sassanik
Guru
sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB1150, iPhone, Cool-er Purple, Pocketbook 360, Kindle Fire
so many books!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HorridRedDog View Post
7) Memory - Really a non issue. In practice most of us can't deal with hundreds of books on an ereader. I keep 10 - 20 books on each one and delete them from the reader after I have read them. I still have them on my
I find it amusing when people talk about having extra memory to store more books on a reader. Realistically could I easily navigate my 700+ book library on the reader its self at this point? No it is not realistic. I imagine most people keep less than 50 books on their readers at most times. When the software catches up to the readers then I can see having my whole library on a reader, but until then, it doesn't make sense to me.

If you are going to add music then I can see memory space being an issue, but for books themselves? You don't need a ton of space.

I have a Cool-er and while I really like it, primarily it is because I can read drm epub on it. If DRM were a non-issue EB1150 is one of the best readers on the market IMO.

Amy
sassanik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 11:17 AM   #3
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by HorridRedDog View Post
I've had the EB-1150 about a year but really really wanted a sleek / lightweight Sony Touch reader. So I finally got one 2 weeks ago.

3) Gray scale - Again, the PRS-600 wins on this one - 8 versus 4 on the EB-1150. Not realy! The touch surface adds a layer that darkens the screen. So the effect creates muddy looking "pictures". Using the "same" book with pictures on the 600 and the 1150 (side by side) I found that the image on the 1150 was easyer to understand (just not pretty).
Actually the 1150 has 16 levels of grayscale and does quite well but you need to insure the images take advantage of this. The images can be pretty but of course the screen resolution is not as high.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 11:50 PM   #4
250 Coupe
Groupie
250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch

Device: Many ebook readers at my house
Quote:
Originally Posted by sassanik View Post
I find it amusing when people talk about having extra memory to store more books on a reader.

Amy
Me too although it did fill a 128mb card when I downloaded Wikipedia to the 1150

Michael
250 Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 12:25 AM   #5
chainring
Addict
chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650 (black), Kindle 3G
Quote:
Originally Posted by 250 Coupe View Post
Me too although it did fill a 128mb card when I downloaded Wikipedia to the 1150

Michael
How did you download Wikipedia, and in only 128MB?
chainring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 07:49 AM   #6
250 Coupe
Groupie
250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch

Device: Many ebook readers at my house
Quote:
Originally Posted by chainring View Post
How did you download Wikipedia, and in only 128MB?
A forum member was working on the SOS Children's CD selection of the Wikipedia and asked me to test it for him. It's about 50MB and if I remember right, it brought either the 1150 or the 2100 to it's knees but the other did work.

Michael
250 Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 11:43 AM   #7
Journier
Groupie
Journier has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Journier has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Journier has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Journier has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Journier has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle Oasis
I had an 1150 and really liked it. One of the main drawbacks for me was setting up the account. You have to go into settings and enter dial up or what ever and other stuff. That's probably because of the on board modem which no ereader has that I know of. In addition, for me there was a lot of screen glare under direct lighting and the lack of drm support was also a concern. But, it is a nice device. The ports are sealed, which I like and it is easy to grip on one edge. This makes it very ergonomically pleasing. Although I am a Sony person now, I do miss my 1150. Just a few changes, and I would go back.
Journier is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
eb-1150, sony 600