Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Other formats > LRF

Notices

Old 12-09-2009, 02:31 AM   #1
poshm
Fanatic
poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, Sony Reader Touch, Ipod touch & Kindle 2
Question Readabilty of LRF format

I mostly read fiction in the form of .pdfs and epub files.

I was surprised on downloading an .lrf file from mobileread that the font seemed to be a lot crisper and darker than what I've been used to reading so far.

Is it just my imagination or are .lrf files much better in terms of readability?

If so I will consider using this format a lot more.
poshm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 02:44 AM   #2
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
I confess... I will read the lrf format first if available. I always get the ePub version first when buying a book just because it is supported by more devices.

I also found that I like the looks of the lrf, although my mother prefers the ePub versions (she enlarges the text).
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-09-2009, 03:59 PM   #3
Valloric
Created Sigil, FlightCrew
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by poshm View Post
I was surprised on downloading an .lrf file from mobileread that the font seemed to be a lot crisper and darker than what I've been used to reading so far.
The default font for LRF books is heavier than the default font for epub books on the Sony Readers. That's why it looks "crisper and darker".

You can change the default font for both renderers. It's not hard, but it's not exactly easy, either.
Valloric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 04:16 PM   #4
poshm
Fanatic
poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, Sony Reader Touch, Ipod touch & Kindle 2
Thank you for the help. So it's probably the font then, hadn't considered that. I might have a go at using calibre to convert some of my books into lrf and see what the difference is.
poshm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 11:38 PM   #5
pepak
Guru
pepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T3, Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valloric View Post
You can change the default font for both renderers. It's not hard, but it's not exactly easy, either.
You can? I was under the impression that there is no known way of changing the default EPUB font without modifying each EPUB file separately.
pepak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-15-2009, 04:07 PM   #6
radius
Lector minore
radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura One, Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e, Google Pixel Slate
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepak View Post
You can? I was under the impression that there is no known way of changing the default EPUB font without modifying each EPUB file separately.
Wasn't there a thread about how you can change the default stylesheet used for epub?
radius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 12:52 PM   #7
pepak
Guru
pepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T3, Kobo Libra H2O
If there was, I haven't seen it (and would very much like to see it).
pepak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 03:24 PM   #8
Harry001
Addict
Harry001 will become famous soon enoughHarry001 will become famous soon enoughHarry001 will become famous soon enoughHarry001 will become famous soon enoughHarry001 will become famous soon enoughHarry001 will become famous soon enoughHarry001 will become famous soon enough

Device: palmone lifedrive+sonyreader 505+NookColor+HPTouchpad \32GB+NookSimple
lrf is better, because they are way bigger than epub.
its around 40% more
(thats all i heard about the difference)

keep reading
harry
Harry001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 09:36 AM   #9
radius
Lector minore
radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Ah, I mis-remembered... seems like it works in Sony Library only and not on any devices.

See thread here:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=56548
Old 12-24-2009, 08:28 AM   #10
Valloric
Created Sigil, FlightCrew
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Actually you want this thread, not the stylesheet one.
Valloric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 06:22 PM   #11
radius
Lector minore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valloric View Post
Actually you want this thread, not the stylesheet one.
Hmmm... unless I'm mistaken, the thread you are pointing to is only about how you can embed some CSS in your epub so that you can use fonts stored on the Reader.

I thought we were talking about setting some default CSS so that even epubs *without* any custom CSS could display in a different font?
Old 02-19-2010, 02:58 PM   #12
Teddman
Addict
Teddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-505
What you are noticing in the darker text of the lrf files was probably just a "bold all" option when the book was prepared. You can do it yourself upon a conversion in Calibre:

http://www.teleread.org/2009/12/26/h...calibre-tweak/

Hope that helps!
Teddman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 03:19 AM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by poshm View Post
That's because the overwhelming majority of LRF files at MR have been created using "BookDesigner", and BookDesigner uses, by default, a bold font as its default body text font.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote