Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Alternative Devices

Notices

Old 11-13-2009, 08:37 PM   #16
imaredr
Collector
imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abelturd View Post
Have you tried to download the apk of the app and after allowing installation of apps from external source to install it after this fashion (not via the Market app)?
I accidently deleted Wordplayer and got the same message when I tried to install v3. I tried Art of War Wordplayer book, but it looks really strange.

Do you have the previous version of Wordplayer? I thought I kept a copy, but I can't find it. If so could you please send it to me or tell me where I can download it?

Ellen
imaredr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 05:05 PM   #17
Abelturd
Little Fuzzy Soldier
Abelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toys

Device: cybook gen3, htc hero, ipaq 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by imaredr View Post
I accidently deleted Wordplayer and got the same message when I tried to install v3. I tried Art of War Wordplayer book, but it looks really strange.

Do you have the previous version of Wordplayer? I thought I kept a copy, but I can't find it. If so could you please send it to me or tell me where I can download it?

Ellen
I'm sorry, but Wordplayer is not my type of thing. I gave it a try, but uninstalled it soon thereafter and now I stick with FBReader.
Abelturd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 07:05 PM   #18
imaredr
Collector
imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abelturd View Post
I'm sorry, but Wordplayer is not my type of thing. I gave it a try, but uninstalled it soon thereafter and now I stick with FBReader.
Thanks for the info. I have written the author, no word yet. Until something comes up, I will use FBreader and Aldiko. My only interest in the app is the many formats.

Ellen
imaredr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 02:19 AM   #19
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
I have "Aldiko" and "Art of War WordPlayer" installed. So far I like Aldiko, and have used it almost exclusively. Sorry, I guess I haven't given WordPlayer a fair shot, as I havn't used it much to tell.

I use FBReader on my Nokia N800, and like it a lot there, but just haven't found it necessary to load up on my phone.
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 02:32 PM   #20
Abelturd
Little Fuzzy Soldier
Abelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toys

Device: cybook gen3, htc hero, ipaq 214
I tried Aldiko. Honestly, didn't like it all that much. The bookshelf is fancy, but a bit over the top, I like things simple, so I prefer FBReader's bookshelf look more.
Plus the loading time for epubs seems longer with Aldiko compared to FBReader. The Aldiko's lookup is interesting, but not very useful, as it has to switch to browser and then back. I rather switch from fbreader to colordict and then back. While I'm at it, is there a reader that supports offline dictionary lookup, the way mobipocket reader on windows mobile does - that you highlight a word and get a definition, without having to switch to a different app? I think Libris does, but it's not free.

Last edited by Abelturd; 11-17-2009 at 04:50 PM.
Abelturd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 01:27 PM   #21
dkoenig
dkoenig began at the beginning.

Device: Android G1
Conversion for FBreader

I have many ereader .pdb books from previous palm days. I am happy that ereader has finally released a client for Android, but I am having issues with it. I am not sure if the beta is buggy, or if it is because I am running a modified ROM on my G1.

When the new client came out I had been working on converting my old pdbs to something I can read with FBreader. I use ereader2html to convert my pdbs to html files. I was then trying to use Calibre to convert the htmls to either Epub or FB2. While the conversion to epub completes, the results have been inconsistent (probably because of the source conversions).

For instance I just converted Dan Brown's The Lost Symbol. The epub conversion does not have any of the italics nor ' or " (it substitutes with a block).

Does anyone more familiar with Calibre have a 'recipe' for converting to be read with FBreader with better results than I am getting.

Thank you in advance,

Don
dkoenig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 08:14 PM   #22
luqmaninbmore
Da'i
luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Toshiba Thrive, Kobo Touch, Kindle 1, Aluratek Libre, T-Mobile Comet
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoenig View Post
I have many ereader .pdb books from previous palm days. I am happy that ereader has finally released a client for Android, but I am having issues with it. I am not sure if the beta is buggy, or if it is because I am running a modified ROM on my G1.

When the new client came out I had been working on converting my old pdbs to something I can read with FBreader. I use ereader2html to convert my pdbs to html files. I was then trying to use Calibre to convert the htmls to either Epub or FB2. While the conversion to epub completes, the results have been inconsistent (probably because of the source conversions).

For instance I just converted Dan Brown's The Lost Symbol. The epub conversion does not have any of the italics nor ' or " (it substitutes with a block).

Does anyone more familiar with Calibre have a 'recipe' for converting to be read with FBreader with better results than I am getting.

Thank you in advance,

Don
You need to change the character encoding to cp1252. This can be done when you convert the books.
luqmaninbmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 01:52 PM   #23
bharbo
bharbo began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook gen3
Wordplayer Calibre Integration

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
There's also wordplayer which integrates both wirelessly and via USB cable with calibre
Thanks for fixing The HTC Hero issue. Now the wordplayer/calibretransfer/..
shows up in Calibre. I deleted the content and reinstalled books from my PC. The new content of /wordplayer/calibretransfer/... is synchronized. But the library within Wordplayer is empty! I have to manually load books from the /books/... folder into wordplayer to get stuff to read. I removed and reinstalled wordplayer: no change.
bharbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 02:10 PM   #24
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
That would be an issue with wordplayer, you'll have to ask there.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote