Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Astak EZReader

Notices

Old 10-12-2009, 06:46 PM   #76
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
Quote:
Originally Posted by brecklundin View Post
why should you have to pay for a battery if it's PP? ....if the battery is dead already then it was a bad battery and should be covered under warranty.
If my battery fails I'm leaning towards just buying a new battery, as I've calculated the cost of shipping the unit back, and that is far more than the cost of just buying outright a battery and having it shipped to me. Then again if it happens I might argue it would be cheaper for Astak to just send me a new battery FOC rather than pay the greater amount of returning my unit. Hasn't happened so might not be an issue for me at all.
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 03:05 AM   #77
Javed
Grand Sorcerer
Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO, iPod Touch, PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe999 View Post
This happened to my mother's: To fix customer service told me to remove the battery and then plug in the device with the power adapter (not to the computer). The device then reset and i put the battery back in. The battery was dead. I have ordered her a new battery as the one that came with it would not hold a charge for more than a couple of hours.
I too am wondering how much battery costs and how they are ordered.
Javed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 11:29 PM   #78
SDRebel
Addict
SDRebel has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: astak pro
WTF! My replacement unit has exactly the same problem as the first one. I charged it overnight about 4 days ago and only read about 20 pages. This is absolutely farked up. 2 out of 2 is really really bad.
frack frack frack frack!
SDRebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 11:43 PM   #79
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDRebel View Post
WTF! My replacement unit has exactly the same problem as the first one. I charged it overnight about 4 days ago and only read about 20 pages. This is absolutely farked up. 2 out of 2 is really really bad.
frack frack frack frack!
Fark dude, sorry to hear about your replacement. I'm not even going to offer help to you as you've probably already gone through the same procedure as you did with the first unit.
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 11:51 PM   #80
SDRebel
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solicitous View Post
Fark dude, sorry to hear about your replacement. I'm not even going to offer help to you as you've probably already gone through the same procedure as you did with the first unit.
actually, I haven't tried anything yet other than charging it for about 12 hours since I discovered this problem like at 1:30 am today and couldn't do much, and I just got back from work, but charging for 12 hours didn't help. The only other thing I'll try is removing the battery and connecting, since nothing helped last time. I already sent support an email.
Old 10-14-2009, 12:18 AM   #81
SDRebel
Addict

WTF, it just came back to life. I reset it about 5 times and nothing. Then I left it alone for about 5 minutes. As I was ready to remove the battery, it was in the main menu...I don't know..... but I don't trust it to remain stable

edit:
by the way, it came back to life with 3 lines of battery, WTF!

Last edited by SDRebel; 10-14-2009 at 12:43 AM.
Old 10-14-2009, 12:55 AM   #82
Chiron
Fantasy & SciFi Reader
Chiron has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Chiron has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Chiron has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Astak EZ Reader Pocket Pro
Quote:
WTF, it just came back to life. I reset it about 5 times and nothing. Then I left it alone for about 5 minutes. As I was ready to remove the battery, it was in the main menu...I don't know..... but I don't trust it to remain stable

edit:
by the way, it came back to life with 3 lines of battery, WTF!
I suggest an exorcism because you are having REALLY bad luck with your PP

Still do like i do: on you initial charge look when it says is fully charged, then without disconect it turn it ON, browse some files, read 1-2 pages, ten turn it off, you will see it will get say to you to get full charge.
Chiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 10:17 AM   #83
SDRebel
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiron View Post
I suggest an exorcism because you are having REALLY bad luck with your PP

Still do like i do: on you initial charge look when it says is fully charged, then without disconect it turn it ON, browse some files, read 1-2 pages, ten turn it off, you will see it will get say to you to get full charge.
let me go to Catemaco, i'll be back soon
Old 10-14-2009, 04:10 PM   #84
Joe999
Joe999 began at the beginning.

Device: Astak EZ-Reader Pocket Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
How were you able to order the battery and how much did it cost?
The batteries are currently only available from Astak (i checked the Jinke web page and they do not have one for the V5 only the V3). You have to call the Astak customer service number (1-866-368-8788) and do the order over the phone (their website does not currently have the option to buy the batteries). Cost was us $17.99 including shipping by USPS. They told me i could send back the original battery to have it replaced but i did not want to go thru the hassel. Additionally the batter is holding a slight charge so my mother is able to use her Reader for several hours before the battery dies. I did not want to deprive her of it while waiting for the new battery to arrive in the mail.

I have bought 3 of the PP 5" (2 as gifts) and so far only the one device has had any issues.

Last edited by Joe999; 10-14-2009 at 04:16 PM.
Joe999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 04:26 PM   #85
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Thank you.

SDRebel are you listening?
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 09:06 PM   #86
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
I tell you guys that either they are using low grade batteries or the issue is related to the fact some are having with getting their device not to function correctly at USB 2.0 speed because something is buggered in the hardware, either the cable or the USB port on the device or mainboard is screwed. Either is possible. Also, if the computer itself has an UNPOWERED USB1.1 port that will not let the reader charge, or any other USB device that supports charging via USB. Also some motherboards do not properly support the USB 2.0 standard. I doubt the issue is related to the PC's USB port but it also is possible.

What needs to be determined is if someone who has a device which is having apparent battery issues, can you charge/power other devices via the USB port on your computer? If you can then the issue is either in the battery itself or the reader's USB port/cable. It is a process of elimination to determine which is the fault here...I mean, that is, if anyone really wants to know the truth.

Having viewed the way the USB ports are crooked on the readers, in photos posted by owners of the device, it is possible that something is not right. Odd though is are owners of the other clones having the same issues? Knowing that detail will aid in truly solving the issue.

If someone who has a flaky device and knows how to check the power at the cable then that will eliminate the cable as your issue, then again someone who knows how to to that would likely have already checked that out...FYI it needs to be about 5V give or take a small amount.
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 12:00 AM   #87
SDRebel
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Thank you.

SDRebel are you listening?
Yes, I am listening to the TV.... wait, what are you talking about?
You suggesting I buy another battery?
Old 10-15-2009, 12:02 AM   #88
SDRebel
Addict

Quote:
I tell you guys that either they are using low grade batteries or the issue is related to the fact some are having with getting their device not to function correctly at USB 2.0 speed because something is buggered in the hardware, either the cable or the USB port on the device or mainboard is screwed. Either is possible. Also, if the computer itself has an UNPOWERED USB1.1 port that will not let the reader charge, or any other USB device that supports charging via USB. Also some motherboards do not properly support the USB 2.0 standard. I doubt the issue is related to the PC's USB port but it also is possible.

What needs to be determined is if someone who has a device which is having apparent battery issues, can you charge/power other devices via the USB port on your computer? If you can then the issue is either in the battery itself or the reader's USB port/cable. It is a process of elimination to determine which is the fault here...I mean, that is, if anyone really wants to know the truth.

Having viewed the way the USB ports are crooked on the readers, in photos posted by owners of the device, it is possible that something is not right. Odd though is are owners of the other clones having the same issues? Knowing that detail will aid in truly solving the issue.

If someone who has a flaky device and knows how to check the power at the cable then that will eliminate the cable as your issue, then again someone who knows how to to that would likely have already checked that out...FYI it needs to be about 5V give or take a small amount.
I have never connected my pocket pro to the computer. I've always used the SD card, so that eliminates one option, but it could still be the port. It's possible the battery is not getting charged...
I don't know, I think it's the very bad quality of the batteries, combined with the fact (assumption really) that they "communicate" with the battery using the third pin.

"Odd though is are owners of the other clones having the same issues? "
When I had the original problem, I didn't find a similar issue with the jinke version, though maybe it hadn't been in the market long enough
Old 10-15-2009, 12:30 AM   #89
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
Quote:
I have never connected my pocket pro to the computer. I've always used the SD card, so that eliminates one option, but it could still be the port. It's possible the battery is not getting charged...
I don't know, I think it's the very bad quality of the batteries, combined with the fact (assumption really) that they "communicate" with the battery using the third pin.

"Odd though is are owners of the other clones having the same issues? "
When I had the original problem, I didn't find a similar issue with the jinke version, though maybe it hadn't been in the market long enough
Does the PP charge via the USB port? I understood it did but if not then d'oh!! So much for that idea...if it does not charge via the USB port then it it's the battery, charger/AC adapter or the power port itself for sure.

EDIT: OK, I see it charges both ways...has anyone who is having issues tried both options? For the USB port, remember the PC needs to be powered on and I believe not in sleep or suspend mode for Windows but am not 100% certain there.

Last edited by brecklundin; 10-15-2009 at 12:34 AM.
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 01:00 AM   #90
SDRebel
Addict

Quote:
Does the PP charge via the USB port? I understood it did but if not then d'oh!! So much for that idea...if it does not charge via the USB port then it it's the battery, charger/AC adapter or the power port itself for sure.

EDIT: OK, I see it charges both ways...has anyone who is having issues tried both options? For the USB port, remember the PC needs to be powered on and I believe not in sleep or suspend mode for Windows but am not 100% certain there.
most of the time I tried with the included adapter, as that is what is suggested in the manual (I read the F manual :P ).
When the device was locked up, it didn't seem to get charged, but when not locked up, it seems to charge correctly....I don't know, it's very non-deterministic with this device. In this case, non-deterministic is not good at all.

Tags
help needed pocket pro