Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-11-2009, 07:01 AM   #1
jackau
Connoisseur
jackau has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jackau has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jackau has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jackau has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jackau has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Cool-er / Mac Mini / Satio / Notebook
Essential characteristics of the 'perfect' E-book reader in 2010.

Essential characteristic of YOUR perfect E-book reader in 2010...

With more and more makers putting out their devices, makes choosing a good e-reader more complicated than before.
So, in aid of those yet to own an e-reader and for those who is frustrated by their current devices (admit it, there IS NO perfect devices in an infancy era of e-readers!
As customers, we have the rights to ask for functions either in hardware / software that should be implemented (upgraded) on current / upcoming devices.

E-reader of my choice in 2010: ((I use point forms for easy reading))

Hardware wish list:
• 250 g max in weight for 6 -7 inch devices
• No more than 450g for 9 inch class models
• 1200 X 800 class resolution
• Half QWERTY / T9 class letter inputting buttons (touch screen / full keyboard is a no go for me).
• At least two sets of fast page turn / text size change buttons
• One button horizontal / portray change
• jogDial wheel / touch sensitive navi wheel (think apple) controller.
• Wifi but not 3G!
• Realistic 5000 page refresh / 3 week per charge.
• SDHC card support up to 16GB
• 1 or more (TransFlash) Micro SD card Slot.
• 256 MB + ram for better large size PDF support.
• Extendable Glare less LED external light for low light reading?!

Software must haves:
• Zoom on .jpg and other widely used picture formats,
• Proper PDF format support, able to zoom in pdf diagrams (regardless text reflow condition)
• fast / easy navigation in zoom.
• Text select / copy note taking function for research purposes
• Smart edge / margin chopping
• MS office file type support.

what is your ideal e-reader like?

Have fun dreaming

Cheers

Jack

jackau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 07:57 AM   #2
Dylrob
Murderous Mustela
Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad M1 Pro, Kindle Paperwhite
To be honest I'm not even sure what would be perfect anymore.

For a long time I desired a larger model, say a 9.7", though [being paranoid after my PRS500 broke] I wanted to wait for the more durable plastic substrate displays. Ideally this device would also have WiFi and very basic web browsing capabilities. And of course optimal battery life.

However now I'm torn between that and the idea of a tabletPC-style netbook equipped with a Pixel Qi screen and ideally a Wacom Digitizer. Plus a 5-6" ebook reader to compliment it.

It would seem that I'm proactively pulling a SweetPea.
Dylrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 08:24 AM   #3
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackau View Post
what is your ideal e-reader like?
Well, for general fiction reading:

hardware:
  • A screen that's 85mmx150mm and 12ppmm (so 1020x1800 pixels). I'd accept four or more grey levels, but colour would be better.
  • A robust plastic screen - no glass.
  • The screen should have better contrast than the best current e-Ink screens
  • The full redraw time of the screen should be < 0.1s
  • No built-in light.
  • Touchscreen if this can be done without affecting contrast
  • Small bezel around the screen - no more than 10mm at each side.
  • Controls should be easy to press - with multiple page forward controls.
  • Battery life should be at least a week if left on with no page turns. And at least 10,000 page turns.
  • No more than 8mm thick and no heavier than 200g
  • micro-usb for power and data.

software:
  • Fully compliant ePub renderer
  • DRM-free Mobipocket support
  • web browser
  • Support for DRM-free Mobipocket format dictionaries, with lookup from ePub or Mobipocket books.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 08:40 AM   #4
dura
Groupie
dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O (2th edition), Kindle PW11
I agree with the OP and other posters here.
Additionally: 1280 screen in 6 inch format, for even sharper picture.
Build-in backlight (I know it isn't possible with -ink, but 2010 is the future, right?)
Let the screen be almost the whole front of the device, instead of the current ~3/4.
dura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 08:45 AM   #5
BeccaAnn
Groupie
BeccaAnn will become famous soon enoughBeccaAnn will become famous soon enoughBeccaAnn will become famous soon enoughBeccaAnn will become famous soon enoughBeccaAnn will become famous soon enoughBeccaAnn will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-505
I would like right *and* left page turn buttons.
Must have both a Memory Stick and SD card slots.
A color screen would be nice as well.
Also, the Reader would function as a PDA; in other words it would let me use it as an organizer and keep track of my books, DVDs, and music.
BeccaAnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 09:12 AM   #6
Format C:
Guru
Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iLiad + PRS-505 + Kindle 3
The perfect device is an iLiad with a few add-ons:

- 256 or more grey levels ranging from pure white to pure black, around 2 megapixel.
- usable upside down, for left-handed people who like to use the flipbar on the other side.
- Instant tur on - turn off (suspend / restore).
- Calibre as the main internal application, with frequent updates and ebook selling sites interface.
- Multi format reader with search capabilities.
- Google desktop installed for extended searches.

Everything except the first one can be achieved by a good sofwtare development effort.

Format C: is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 12:51 PM   #7
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
Has to have a removable drive, and software that accomodates folders. Other than that, I am flexible. Yes, I can be flexible.
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 01:17 PM   #8
DrMoze
Booknut
DrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with others

Device: Sony Reader 500/505/300/350, Nook Glowlight Plus (6")
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylrob View Post
However now I'm torn between that and the idea of a tabletPC-style netbook equipped with a Pixel Qi screen and ideally a Wacom Digitizer. Plus a 5-6" ebook reader to compliment it.
You mean, like "hey there, those are some mighty sharp pixels you're flashing!"? (Or do you mean 'complement'? )
DrMoze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 01:44 PM   #9
Dylrob
Murderous Mustela
Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad M1 Pro, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrMoze View Post
You mean, like "hey there, those are some mighty sharp pixels you're flashing!"? (Or do you mean 'complement'? )
*Sigh* You guys expect too much from my sleep deprived mind.
Dylrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 01:51 PM   #10
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Did someone say "Free"
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 01:56 PM   #11
corroonb
Addict
corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kobo Aura, Nexus 9
I'm satisfied with the PRS-505. There's not much I'd change.

Faster page-turns would be nice but it's fast already.

A better EPUB rendering engine would be nice as I'd have an alternative to LRF.

A Wi-Fi adapter (which you can disable) would be nice for transferring books but more of a luxury.

I'd actually remove the MP3 player and Picture viewer as I've never used those. I don't see the need for a dictionary as there are not enough words that I don't know.

The ability to make notes would be nice for proofing books but if it means a blurry screen then I'm not interested.

A replaceable battery (which you can easily buy) would be a huge plus point too as I think a lot of devices these days are limited by the battery's inevitable decline.
corroonb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 02:02 PM   #12
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-505
I guess I'm getting more vague with my hopes:
  • More durable
  • Better than e-ink
  • More comfortable
  • Hell of a lot faster
  • Better than e-ink
  • Less proprietary
LDBoblo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 02:10 PM   #13
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by corroonb View Post
A better EPUB rendering engine would be nice as I'd have an alternative to LRF.
What do you not like about reading ePub on yours?
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 02:18 PM   #14
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
-A detachable wired button pad for turning pages (at least).
-Highly user-configurable (fonts, margins, button actions, zoom levels). Providing some sort of .ini file or similar for interested users would be great (no need for graphical interface for every possible setting!)
-Customizable applications too. Users could add readers for other formats, different image viewers, calendars, games (sudoku, cross-words... no shoot-'em-up)
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 02:22 PM   #15
corroonb
Addict
corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kobo Aura, Nexus 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
What do you not like about reading ePub on yours?
I don't like the numbers on the side and I don't like the limit on flow size (or whatever the sections of an ePub are called; limited to 300kb size IIRC). The lack of full justification is also an issue.
corroonb is offline   Reply With Quote