Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Today, 05:25 AM   #1
MrSilverstrike
Zealot
MrSilverstrike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrSilverstrike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrSilverstrike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrSilverstrike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrSilverstrike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrSilverstrike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrSilverstrike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrSilverstrike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrSilverstrike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrSilverstrike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrSilverstrike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
MrSilverstrike's Avatar
 
Posts: 141
Karma: 969522
Join Date: Apr 2024
Location: Belgium
Device: Kobo Libra Color, Kobo Clara Color
Talking Kobalt: an alternative reader app for Kobo devices

Hi everyone,

After many weeks of development and late nights, the first beta of Kobalt, my alternative reader app for Kobo devices (and soon, other devices too) is now available.

It works on most Kobo devices running firmware 4.x. It uses KOReader's CREngine under the hood (with some modifications). It's like a KOReader "Lite" in some ways, but with a more focused user experience.

For the KOReader diehards: it won't replace your favorite app. KOReader still has many more features and its plugin directory is, of course, unrivalled.

But for casual KOReader users who find the main app a bit too much, this might scratch a particular itch, like it did for me. (Or if you dislike the built-in reader app because its typography sucks. I made a mod for that too, as you might know. But that didn't go far enough. I had to make my own reader app!)

Also, unlike KOReader... Kobalt is more integrated into Kobo's OS: any DRM-free epub file can be opened in it via Kobo's "My Books" section (or your home screen). Purchased or loaned books work the same as before and open in the regular reader, as I don't want to have anything to do with DRM whatsoever. It's supposed to be pretty seamless!

You can visit the website to learn more or watch one or both of my two videos on the subject:

1. Why I decided to make Kobalt (mostly due to Kobo OS 6's slow reader, lol)



2. The beta you can try if you'd like



Let me know what you think!

Oh, it's all open source, too: https://github.com/nicoverbruggen/kobalt

Cheers,
Nico

P.S. I already have it working on Kobo OS 6 too, and on Android, but I'm releasing those later.
MrSilverstrike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 07:05 AM   #2
mrmikey
Connoisseur
mrmikey doesn't littermrmikey doesn't litter
 
Posts: 50
Karma: 110
Join Date: Dec 2012
Device: Kobo Clara HD
No comment on the software yet but your description and narration is right on the money. I've never tried Koreader but I'm going to give yours a go for sure. I assume there's no interference with using Calibre? everything stays the same?
**EDIT**
Just installed, extremely easy to install, instructions were dead on, no hiccups at all, took all of about 2 minutes if that and everything worked as described right out of the gate.
I don't have the page turn animation but that is a deficiency of my reader, a Clara HD not Kobalt.
I have no complaints :-), my compliments for a nice bit of software.

Last edited by mrmikey; Today at 07:25 AM.
mrmikey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 07:10 AM   #3
MrSilverstrike
Zealot
MrSilverstrike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrSilverstrike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrSilverstrike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrSilverstrike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrSilverstrike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrSilverstrike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrSilverstrike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrSilverstrike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrSilverstrike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrSilverstrike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrSilverstrike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
MrSilverstrike's Avatar
 
Posts: 141
Karma: 969522
Join Date: Apr 2024
Location: Belgium
Device: Kobo Libra Color, Kobo Clara Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmikey View Post
No comment on the software yet but your description and narration is right on the money. I've never tried Koreader but I'm going to give yours a go for sure. I assume there's no interference with using Calibre? everything stays the same?
Everything stays the same, correct. If you have copied your books DRM-free to your Kobo (with or without converting to kepub) you should be set and have a good experience.

If you bump into any issues, feel free to comment in this thread or DM me.
MrSilverstrike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 07:26 AM   #4
Stevefj
Junior Member
Stevefj began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 1
Karma: 10
Join Date: Aug 2026
Device: Kobo H20,Kobo Forma,Sony Prs 950
Is Wikipedia integrated into the app?
Stevefj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 07:42 AM   #5
MrSilverstrike
Zealot
MrSilverstrike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrSilverstrike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrSilverstrike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrSilverstrike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrSilverstrike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrSilverstrike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrSilverstrike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrSilverstrike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrSilverstrike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrSilverstrike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrSilverstrike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
MrSilverstrike's Avatar
 
Posts: 141
Karma: 969522
Join Date: Apr 2024
Location: Belgium
Device: Kobo Libra Color, Kobo Clara Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevefj View Post
Is Wikipedia integrated into the app?
No, no Wikipedia integration (yet). I'll put it on the list.
MrSilverstrike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 08:03 AM   #6
mrmikey
Connoisseur
mrmikey doesn't littermrmikey doesn't litter
 
Posts: 50
Karma: 110
Join Date: Dec 2012
Device: Kobo Clara HD
Just noticed also there's a % meter for the battery as well as the battery image, I like the percentage number being visible.

**EDIT**
Any way the % meter for the battery can be made an option to remain on the header, maybe replacing one of the other header displays?
Kobalt is very fast operating the books, page turns, opening etc.

Last edited by mrmikey; Today at 08:58 AM.
mrmikey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 08:18 AM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
JSWolf's Avatar
 
Posts: 85,289
Karma: 154365101
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Roslindale, Massachusetts
Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Can you fix Kobalt so it's more ePub3 compatible? The downside is that KOReader is not ePub3 compatible enough.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 08:19 AM   #8
Apollyon202
Addict
Apollyon202 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apollyon202 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apollyon202 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apollyon202 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apollyon202 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apollyon202 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apollyon202 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apollyon202 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apollyon202 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apollyon202 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apollyon202 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Apollyon202's Avatar
 
Posts: 226
Karma: 251718
Join Date: May 2018
Device: Kobo Libra 2, Clara HD, Aura, Touch
I haven't tried yet, but will Kobalt's fonts conflict with my existing font folder? I have some custom fonts installed from your github (Newsreader for example), and some other sourced fonts as well.
Apollyon202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 08:48 AM   #9
rantanplan
Weirdo
rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Posts: 1,351
Karma: 13516840
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: Wuppertal, Germany
Device: Kobo Libra 2, Tolino Vision Color, reMarkable PaperPro
Do you plan to make the top header configurable? I prefer to have it set to remaining minutes in chapter instead of page progress. But it's just a small thing I can adapt to, I roughly know how many pages I can read per minute.

Looking forward to a 5.18.x / 6.x compatible version

PS
The best thing about Kobalt is that it doesn't sometimes clip the last line of a page on my Clara BW .
rantanplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 09:06 AM   #10
MrSilverstrike
Zealot
MrSilverstrike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrSilverstrike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrSilverstrike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrSilverstrike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrSilverstrike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrSilverstrike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrSilverstrike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrSilverstrike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrSilverstrike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrSilverstrike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrSilverstrike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
MrSilverstrike's Avatar
 
Posts: 141
Karma: 969522
Join Date: Apr 2024
Location: Belgium
Device: Kobo Libra Color, Kobo Clara Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apollyon202 View Post
I haven't tried yet, but will Kobalt's fonts conflict with my existing font folder? I have some custom fonts installed from your github (Newsreader for example), and some other sourced fonts as well.
Fonts shouldn't conflict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Can you fix Kobalt so it's more ePub3 compatible? The downside is that KOReader is not ePub3 compatible enough.
Please let me know what problems you seem to be having in terms of compatibility and I'd happily take a look. There are limits to what's possible with CREngine, though. Not making my own engine here. Ultimately, Kobalt is mostly a UI/UX project with some additional challenges.

As an aside: for proper ePub3 support, I'd argue that an E ink device is also not the right device (given the multimedia requirements).

Quote:
Originally Posted by rantanplan View Post
Do you plan to make the top header configurable? I prefer to have it set to remaining minutes in chapter instead of page progress. But it's just a small thing I can adapt to, I roughly know how many pages I can read per minute.
Yes, header and footer customization is planned! Not sure if I'll have remaining time included, still investigating if I can come up with an approach that's more or less accurate. Kobo's often isn't.
MrSilverstrike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 09:21 AM   #11
rantanplan
Weirdo
rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Posts: 1,351
Karma: 13516840
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: Wuppertal, Germany
Device: Kobo Libra 2, Tolino Vision Color, reMarkable PaperPro
What’s the line height equivalent for 1.5 in Koreader expressed in percentage in Kobalt? I love that it’s so granular but I realized that I’m just fiddling around with it too much.
rantanplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 09:43 AM   #12
MrSilverstrike
Zealot
MrSilverstrike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrSilverstrike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrSilverstrike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrSilverstrike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrSilverstrike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrSilverstrike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrSilverstrike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrSilverstrike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrSilverstrike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrSilverstrike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrSilverstrike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
MrSilverstrike's Avatar
 
Posts: 141
Karma: 969522
Join Date: Apr 2024
Location: Belgium
Device: Kobo Libra Color, Kobo Clara Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by rantanplan View Post
What’s the line height equivalent for 1.5 in Koreader expressed in percentage in Kobalt? I love that it’s so granular but I realized that I’m just fiddling around with it too much.
About that -- it's actually bugged right now, oops. 122% = 1.5 in KOReader at this point. I need to adjust it, because the calculation actually gets applied twice. See, this is why it's a beta
MrSilverstrike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 10:03 AM   #13
Gormagon
monstrous mythical beast
Gormagon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gormagon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gormagon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gormagon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gormagon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gormagon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gormagon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gormagon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gormagon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gormagon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gormagon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Gormagon's Avatar
 
Posts: 204
Karma: 5078396
Join Date: May 2023
Location: Klopstokia
Device: Tab Ultra C, Meebook P78 Pro, Viwoods AIPaper Reader, various NXTPAPER
Funny, Nico, just this Sunday I watched a youtube video where you demonstrated the Kobalt reader. If it's available as apk for Android I'll give it a try. I like KOReader but I don't need everything it has build in and it always takes some time opening with a library of >3000 files, it's faster when I've selected "start with last file". But then the app takes it's time when I want to see the library from within the last file. Maybe Kobalt can be faster. Librera for example is faster on all my devices.
Gormagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 10:11 AM   #14
rantanplan
Weirdo
rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Posts: 1,351
Karma: 13516840
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: Wuppertal, Germany
Device: Kobo Libra 2, Tolino Vision Color, reMarkable PaperPro
Is it possible to enlarge an illustration? In Nickel it’s doublepress, in KOReader it’s longpress but both don’t seem to do the job with Kobalt.
rantanplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 10:18 AM   #15
MrSilverstrike
Zealot
MrSilverstrike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrSilverstrike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrSilverstrike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrSilverstrike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrSilverstrike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrSilverstrike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrSilverstrike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrSilverstrike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrSilverstrike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrSilverstrike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrSilverstrike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
MrSilverstrike's Avatar
 
Posts: 141
Karma: 969522
Join Date: Apr 2024
Location: Belgium
Device: Kobo Libra Color, Kobo Clara Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gormagon View Post
Funny, Nico, just this Sunday I watched a youtube video where you demonstrated the Kobalt reader. If it's available as apk for Android I'll give it a try. I like KOReader but I don't need everything it has build in and it always takes some time opening with a library of >3000 files, it's faster when I've selected "start with last file". But then the app takes it's time when I want to see the library from within the last file. Maybe Kobalt can be faster. Librera for example is faster on all my devices.
Want to take it for a spin? I just uploaded an early Android debug build.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rantanplan View Post
Is it possible to enlarge an illustration? In Nickel it’s doublepress, in KOReader it’s longpress but both don’t seem to do the job with Kobalt.
Yeah, this is still missing right now.
MrSilverstrike is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
koreader, nickelhook, reader


Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Adding alternative readers to Kobo devices Ken Maltby Kobo Reader 251 11-28-2024 05:46 PM
good alternative reader app (epub) for note air? polossatik Onyx Boox 22 05-01-2022 09:18 AM
Android devices. Built in e-reader vs. e-reader app. Your preferences? norweger Android Devices 19 11-10-2019 11:12 AM
Reader not Appearing in Devices or App AniPendragon Kobo Reader 13 10-28-2015 09:38 PM
Reader App for Apple Devices Ken401 Sony Reader 7 11-07-2012 09:20 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:43 PM.


MobileRead.com is a privately owned, operated and funded community.