Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > justRead.app

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Today, 05:55 AM   #46
culytera
Addict
culytera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.culytera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.culytera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.culytera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.culytera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.culytera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.culytera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.culytera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.culytera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.culytera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.culytera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Posts: 206
Karma: 295686
Join Date: Jul 2021
Device: iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by petrjahoda View Post
Also from the screenshots: do you really have those fonts added to JustRead and selected as in my screenshots?
Because what you posted on screenshots from Justread is a default font.
Yes, but the point of this test was to show that JustRead should be able to show those fonts because the CSS tells it to. Readest and Calibre ebook viewer are able to show those in their designated fonts, so why isn't JustRead able to do the same? Under "Original" font it says that it's the "book's own font". So I thought JustRead would follow the book's CSS since those fonts are in the app. Setting a font in the app settings loses the point of that test because now all sections are in the same font.

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrjahoda View Post
Because I used your book right away and all OK (just one font showing here, but the rest are the same). I am showing you even the font selected.
In your screenshot, you can even see that the numbers are showing how they should be displaying in Noto Sans compared to what I'm seeing on my phone when Noto Sans is selected. While doing my tests, I discovered that setting Publisher Style to off displays the numbers correctly in the fonts I was having problems with. When you took that screenshot, was Publisher Style set to off in your settings?

I even edited the epub so the CSS is as simple as it can be in case the CSS really was the issue.

I tested the same epub on Apple Books and it has the same behavior as JustRead in that it's not able to show the designated fonts unless you manually select it in the settings and it also has an xml rendering error in the third chapter.

However after I followed the instructions in this page and edited the epub again, Apple Books was at least able to display Verdana and Charter without manually setting it to those fonts since they're system fonts. JustRead just doesn't do any of this on my device despite all those fonts being in the app and/or a system font.

MapleRead doesn't have the XML rendering error or the different number display, but it still behaves differently when different fonts are set. I don't know why Readest doesn't have the same behavior, but it's been an interesting experiment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrjahoda View Post
1. Do you have fonts added to JustRead? Can you post a screenshot from Custom Fonts like I do?
2. Do you have this font selected? Can you post a screenshots showing font is selected, like I do
3. Did you please, like I advised, restarted the app completely (I suppose fonts are added and selected, this is just to be sure)?
1. Yes, you can see the custom fonts in the screen recording I linked below.
2. Yes, see the attachment of my comparison with your screenshot and mine.
3. Yes, I've done this numerous times.

Here's a screen recording to demonstrate the issue with the same epub in JustRead, Readest, MapleRead, and Apple Books. The apps weren't running in the background before the demo.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Comparison.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	616.4 KB
ID:	226575  
Attached Files
File Type: epub Tests.epub (27.5 KB, 1 views)
culytera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 06:12 AM   #47
petrjahoda
Fanatic
petrjahoda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrjahoda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrjahoda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrjahoda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrjahoda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrjahoda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrjahoda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrjahoda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrjahoda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrjahoda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrjahoda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Posts: 567
Karma: 3774598
Join Date: Dec 2025
Location: Czech Republic
Device: iphone, ipad
Thank you, now it is clear. JustRead always overrides the font in the book, but when Publisher's on, it does not override the CSS settings, of course (but keep overriding that font)

To respond about that Publisher's style: I do not use it at all, never. As I want the reading experience as I want, but others are seeing it in the exact opposite and they use Publishers always.

So, one thing, that is missing now: when in Publisher's mode there should be a switch to "also defer the selected font and show fonts how publishers wants them"?
Meaning, when Publisher is on and this new switch is on, it would display fonts as Publishers wants them (maybe even that Font selection should be than hidden to make it clear).

I would like to add a switch and not make it permanent, because when permanent then I would expect someone arguing, that they want the exact opposite as you want to: no matter the font in book by Publisher, they want their own font.

That will be answer to your ..
Quote:
Yes, but the point of this test was to show that JustRead should be able to show those fonts because the CSS tells it to.
So will this be OK?

EDIT: Or simpler: when set to Original font, then use those fonts set in the epub.

Last edited by petrjahoda; Today at 06:19 AM.
petrjahoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 06:31 AM   #48
culytera
Addict
culytera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.culytera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.culytera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.culytera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.culytera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.culytera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.culytera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.culytera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.culytera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.culytera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.culytera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Posts: 206
Karma: 295686
Join Date: Jul 2021
Device: iPhone
Honestly, I don't even know why setting Publisher Style to OFF would make the numbers display properly. Since as I understand, that setting is only for the spacing and alignment of the book. You see what I'm referring to, right? Since I've highlighted the difference in the numbers on your screenshot and mine. This wasn't necessarily about the app not following the font declaration in the CSS, this was about the numbers not displaying properly in the set font when Publisher Style is ON since that setting is only for the layout.

Can you set Publisher Style to ON on your app settings for that book and screenshot the numbers on the Words line and see if they look the same as the one in my screenshot?

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrjahoda View Post
EDIT: Or simpler: when set to Original font, then use those fonts set in the epub.
Yes, I think that would be ideal for the other issue I encountered.

There's also the XML rendering error that isn't present in some reader apps.
culytera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 06:33 AM   #49
petrjahoda
Fanatic
petrjahoda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrjahoda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrjahoda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrjahoda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrjahoda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrjahoda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrjahoda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrjahoda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrjahoda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrjahoda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrjahoda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Posts: 567
Karma: 3774598
Join Date: Dec 2025
Location: Czech Republic
Device: iphone, ipad
Publishers style is not only for spacing, alignment, etc, but for complete CSS.
Yes, when I set Publishers ON, I get the same results as you.

I will do it, so when Original font selected it will behave as you would expect.
petrjahoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 07:00 AM   #50
petrjahoda
Fanatic
petrjahoda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrjahoda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrjahoda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrjahoda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrjahoda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrjahoda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrjahoda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrjahoda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrjahoda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrjahoda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrjahoda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Posts: 567
Karma: 3774598
Join Date: Dec 2025
Location: Czech Republic
Device: iphone, ipad
Hi culytera, in the future I will be asking better, because in the end the problem and change was kinda simple.
It is done and looks like in the screenshots (will be in 5.4).
EDIT: Publishers OFF.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2026-10-11 at 12.58.48.png
Views:	7
Size:	648.4 KB
ID:	226579   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2026-10-11 at 12.59.04.png
Views:	5
Size:	410.3 KB
ID:	226580   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2026-10-11 at 12.59.15.png
Views:	6
Size:	419.6 KB
ID:	226581  
petrjahoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 09:15 AM   #51
culytera
Addict
culytera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.culytera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.culytera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.culytera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.culytera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.culytera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.culytera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.culytera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.culytera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.culytera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.culytera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Posts: 206
Karma: 295686
Join Date: Jul 2021
Device: iPhone
That looks great, thanks!
culytera is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Version 3.3. sent to AppStore (OPDS update, Calibre sync update) petrjahoda justRead.app 0 06-09-2026 06:18 AM
Kobo database version unsupported + Error when trying to update Calibre to version 6. Maria Loranger Devices 35 09-12-2023 09:40 AM
Update Version - cerberez Calibre 7 12-28-2013 04:31 PM
Nook Color version update "Biggest ever" 6charlong Barnes & Noble NOOK 20 12-19-2011 01:49 PM
Biggest satisfaction/happiness vs. biggest disappointment/frustration hermes General Discussions 54 07-11-2011 02:29 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:42 PM.


MobileRead.com is a privately owned, operated and funded community.