Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-08-2026, 07:24 PM   #1
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
issybird's Avatar
 
Posts: 22,220
Karma: 241025665
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: New England
Device: Mini, H2O, Glo HD, Aura One, PW4, PW5
Goodreads ratings become more granular

As of October 5, it’s possible to rate books on Goodreads with half and even quarter stars. I just noticed it this evening.

I know this is a change that a lot of people have wanted for a long time. It never seemed that important to me (and certainly quarter stars are hard to parse), but I admit that I’ve thought it would be useful to have a 3½ star rating. Three stars is my baseline and there certainly have been many books which beat basic expectations but still didn’t rise to four stars. I’m going to try to avoid the temptation to use the ½ star to augment other levels.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2026, 10:54 PM   #2
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Uncle Robin's Avatar
 
Posts: 3,788
Karma: 52758936
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: in my mind
Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra Colour
When I heard of this the idea I took it as proof that The Storygraph especially is finally becoming big enough for Amazon to notice. Goodreads is infamous for having added NO new features for more than a decade, TSG started with 1/4 stars more than 6 years ago and it seems has now reached the point where Amazon decided it needed to slow the migration
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2026, 11:36 PM   #3
nana77
Wizard
nana77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nana77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nana77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nana77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nana77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nana77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nana77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nana77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nana77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nana77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nana77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
nana77's Avatar
 
Posts: 3,146
Karma: 4444444
Join Date: May 2025
Device: Kobo Forma, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
While I have not a lot of content to chart on, anyway, I was to think Storygraph relied - mostly - on Goodreads as for the books' descriptions, thought it doesn't seems always the case:
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/216752459-star-wars
https://app.thestorygraph.com/books/...f-02ec014631a3
I mean, in there Storygraph has a correct authors' details.
nana77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:49 AM   #4
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Uncle Robin's Avatar
 
Posts: 3,788
Karma: 52758936
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: in my mind
Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra Colour
My comment had absolutely nothing to do with book descriptions. I was referring only to the recent change in Goodreads RATING system, mimicking the rating system TSG has used since its inception. On social media, the lack of that more granular "scoring" system has been mentioned A LOT as a major factor in users deciding to leave Goodreads for TSG.

As I said above, Goodreads has had a well-earned reputation for changing absolutely NOTHING about its core functionality for more than a decade, so the sudden decision to ape a feature TSG (and other similar sites) offers suggests that migration is becoming something of sufficient concern to Amazon to overcome its laissez-faire inertia.
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:59 AM   #5
drofgnal
Wizard
drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Posts: 1,528
Karma: 10827780
Join Date: Dec 2009
Device: Ipad Pro/Kindle Oasis 3/iPhone 13 Pro Max
I'm not sure how useful it is. I typically don't think of my like for a book in that granularity. I use 3 stars for just ok, 4 for good, and 5 for excellent. on the other end, 2 stars was I finished but is was a slog, 1 star horrible DNF. I might could find use for 1/2 stars, but 1/4, I doubt it.

Does this mean when you finish an amazon book on a Kindle and it asked you to rate it, you'll be given fractional choices now?
drofgnal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:54 PM   #6
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Terisa de morgan's Avatar
 
Posts: 6,814
Karma: 13151505
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Madrid, Spain
Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by drofgnal View Post
I'm not sure how useful it is. I typically don't think of my like for a book in that granularity. I use 3 stars for just ok, 4 for good, and 5 for excellent. on the other end, 2 stars was I finished but is was a slog, 1 star horrible DNF. I might could find use for 1/2 stars, but 1/4, I doubt it.

Does this mean when you finish an amazon book on a Kindle and it asked you to rate it, you'll be given fractional choices now?
According to an email I got from goodreads about it, I suspect no, Because they mention that, if you rate from your kindle, you can later adjust the rating at goodreads.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 09:17 AM   #7
Maxbet
Junior Member
Maxbet began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 2
Karma: 10
Join Date: Oct 2026
Location: Brazil
Device: none
think half stars are a nice addition, but quarter stars might be a bit much. Sometimes a book feels better than a 3 but doesn't quite deserve a 4, so a 3.5 makes sense.
Personally, I find a few sentences explaining what someone liked or disliked about a book much more useful than a very precise rating. Especially with classics, where personal taste can make such a big difference.
Maxbet is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply


Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Import number of ratings from Goodreads Levinas2021 Library Management 1 01-26-2021 05:09 AM
Goodreads ratings are less than useless JSWolf General Discussions 86 08-04-2016 10:12 PM
Goodreads Ratings Then and Now Fbone General Discussions 53 07-10-2014 09:41 PM
GoodReads decimal ratings Hattie Plugins 5 09-29-2013 03:58 PM
Sony includes goodreads ratings? Todd Young Writers' Corner 0 05-10-2011 02:32 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:41 AM.


MobileRead.com is a privately owned, operated and funded community.