|
|
#31 | |
|
Zealot
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Posts: 106
Karma: 1173714
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Puerto Rico
Device: Kobo Clara HD, Kindle PW Signature 12th ed, B&N Nook GL4+
|
Quote:
I attribute 75-80% of my enjoyment of reading to the actual content. If the content isn't any good, I don't care how good the eReader is, I'm not going to enjoy reading. I'd say the hardware is worth another 10-15% or so of my enjoyment. Tactile buttons, crisp text, screen, flush bezel, comfort light, grip feel of the plastic, the weight : it all ties together for ADDING to the reading experience. Lastly I'd say the software is worth another 10-15% or so. Ease of checking out books, speed of page turns, the built-in dictionary, ability to side load books, etc. In some instances this can be completely overhauled with something like KOReader. The Nook GL4+ has some really great hardware IMO. But yes the software is a little thin. Still, with a good boo, page turn buttons, a big flush screen with comfort light, I'm not turning it into a door stop. I know a lot of manufacturers are jumping on the color eInk screen band wagon, but personally I find while it has marketing value for seeing book covers, it degrades the actual reading experience. Personally, I don't care how good they make the software, the hardware isn't getting better with color eInk (yet). |
|
|
|
|
|
|
#32 |
|
Compulsive Gadget Geek
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Posts: 424
Karma: 4219324
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: South Central Virginia
Device: Some Kindles, some Kobos and now a Penstar eNote Pro too
|
So here we are in October 2026 and the only thing B&N put out was a lovely teal-colored Glowlight 4 at the end of 2025 and an LCD tablet in 2026. It's like they aren't even trying.
|
|
|
|
|
|
#33 |
|
Junior Member
![]() Posts: 8
Karma: 24
Join Date: Sep 2026
Device: Kindle, OLED phone
|
Honestly, I'm just glad Barnes and Noble is still kicking and I gather has turned it around. I thought for sure they were going the way of Borders. They definitely don't put much emphasis on Nooks. We actually had a newer store open up a town over. Smaller than the ones I'm used to. Seems to be hopping, generally. But I have never seen anyone noodling with the Nook display, other than me. And it's definitely sort of off to the side.
|
|
|
|
![]() |
|
Similar Threads
|
||||
| Thread | Thread Starter | Forum | Replies | Last Post |
| Best way to "smarten" odd ellipsis pattern to U+2026? | Macthelist | Conversion | 2 | 01-12-2023 03:27 PM |
| Other than the Kindle and Nook, what devices can you sideload on? | Alyssa Miranda | General Discussions | 31 | 07-11-2013 03:31 PM |
| Classic Nook Accounts Devices and Books | Propheous | Barnes & Noble NOOK | 41 | 08-04-2011 10:05 AM |
| Classic Nook 1.5 Update Confirmed | astrangerhere | Barnes & Noble NOOK | 84 | 01-25-2011 07:01 PM |
| Public Domain Day and no PD books until 2026 | AprilHare | News | 3 | 01-31-2009 04:54 AM |