Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-04-2026, 04:37 PM   #151
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
DNSB's Avatar
 
Posts: 54,906
Karma: 182340541
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Vancouver
Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundae View Post
Surely they sell a separate cover stand for just this situation
Hard to see how they can. The pins must be contacted by the charging stands pins to allow charging. Since the images of the covers do not show a hole in the case to allow such connection, it's hard to see how such a connection could be made without removing the cover. Take a look at the image I posted from Amazon's website of the Page-Turn cover opened flat showing the outside of the front and back of the cover spread flat.

The Amazon website now states clearly that the cover must be removed before charging.

Last edited by DNSB; 10-04-2026 at 04:39 PM.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2026, 04:37 PM   #152
Desertway
Evangelist
Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Posts: 423
Karma: 3230804
Join Date: Mar 2010
Device: Oasis 3, K3, Kobo Clara, Likebook P6
The listing for the charging dock clearly states "Charges your Kindle directly, simply remove your cover before docking." Maybe that's a recent edit?
Desertway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2026, 04:48 PM   #153
Desertway
Evangelist
Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Posts: 423
Karma: 3230804
Join Date: Mar 2010
Device: Oasis 3, K3, Kobo Clara, Likebook P6
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
No way. What Amazon will do is slash the prices of the previous models back down to the list price (or a tad bit lower) they were selling for before the price hikes of late August. The average consumer will think they're getting a real bargain because they knew nothing about the price hikes.

Deceptive marketing wins the day.

Here's a current example:

Kindle Kids 2024
  • $130 -- Jan ~ late Aug (Amazon's regular price)
  • $85 -- late Jun (Prime Day) = $45 savings
  • $180 -- late Aug (Amazon raised prices on many tech devices)
  • $123 -- late Sep ~ present (Prime Big Deal Days) = $7 savings
Because Amazon raised its prices, the net savings is really only $7.
.
And the 2024 Paperwhite SE is $169.00 right now. ($143.99 with my upgrade offer.)

Last edited by Desertway; 10-04-2026 at 04:56 PM.
Desertway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2026, 08:26 PM   #154
Sundae
Junior Member
Sundae began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 5
Karma: 10
Join Date: Sep 2026
Device: Kindle, OLED phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Hard to see how they can. The pins must be contacted by the charging stands pins to allow charging. Since the images of the covers do not show a hole in the case to allow such connection, it's hard to see how such a connection could be made without removing the cover. Take a look at the image I posted from Amazon's website of the Page-Turn cover opened flat showing the outside of the front and back of the cover spread flat.

The Amazon website now states clearly that the cover must be removed before charging.
poorly phrased attempt at a joke on my part. I envisioned a bedside table with 2 stands: one to hold the charging Kindle, the other to hold the empty case.

I know these are magnetic snap on cases and not the molded/fitted kind I have on my readers, where I get a little nervous for the screen every time I take em off, but it is pretty nuts to sell this primo model and not have a way to charge it in the case.
Sundae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2026, 09:01 PM   #155
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
DNSB's Avatar
 
Posts: 54,906
Karma: 182340541
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Vancouver
Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundae View Post
I know these are magnetic snap on cases and not the molded/fitted kind I have on my readers, where I get a little nervous for the screen every time I take em off, but it is pretty nuts to sell this primo model and not have a way to charge it in the case.
You could always use the USC C connector to charge it in the case. Just the charging stand needs the pogo pins which make it a decision that I have trouble understanding.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2026, 11:09 AM   #156
Sundae
Junior Member
Sundae began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 5
Karma: 10
Join Date: Sep 2026
Device: Kindle, OLED phone
I may misunderstand something, but I asked the Alexa ai thing and it claims the special editions do not have USB C. They only charge and transfer data thru pogo. So unless there is some pass thru on the cases, I think people will have to take their case off to charge the thing. Also would make data transfer a bit less convenient.

But I guess we'll have to wait until they are out in the wild to know for sure.

I am tempted to get one of the 2024 Paperwhites or colorsofts. my newest device is a basic 2022. Would sort of like to have something with a warm light, but honestly I use an OLED burner phone as a dedicated bed reader and prefer it to eink for that specific use.

I suspect Kindle and I are parting ways here and when my current kindles (I have a PW3 as well) are kaput I'll probably switch to an eink tablet or something with a little more flexibility. But I'll ride my swaybacks into the dirt first.
Sundae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2026, 12:42 PM   #157
cgsmom
Evangelist
cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
cgsmom's Avatar
 
Posts: 434
Karma: 5452397
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: USA
Device: Kobo Clara Color, Kindle Colorsoft SE, Nook GL4,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundae View Post
I may misunderstand something, but I asked the Alexa ai thing and it claims the special editions do not have USB C. They only charge and transfer data thru pogo. So unless there is some pass thru on the cases, I think people will have to take their case off to charge the thing. Also would make data transfer a bit less convenient..
No, AI is not correct. I have seen some YouTube videos that show a usb c port for charging and data transfer. You do have to take the case off to charge with the pogo pins, which seems a bit inconvenient.

My biggest reason for not upgrading is that I prefer page turn buttons. The Paperwhite with the page turn case weighs 12.91 ounces. My Oasis weighs 6.6. The Click (remote page turner) wouldn’t add any weight, but then I have a separate device to keep track of.
cgsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2026, 02:40 PM   #158
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Posts: 5,304
Karma: 20000412
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: UK
Device: Scribe CS, CS, PW, K6 26, Kobo Elipsa 2e, Libra Colour/2, ClaraBW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundae View Post
I may misunderstand something, but I asked the Alexa ai thing and it claims the special editions do not have USB C. They only charge and transfer data thru pogo. So unless there is some pass thru on the cases, I think people will have to take their case off to charge the thing. Also would make data transfer a bit less convenient.

But I guess we'll have to wait until they are out in the wild to know for sure.

I am tempted to get one of the 2024 Paperwhites or colorsofts. my newest device is a basic 2022. Would sort of like to have something with a warm light, but honestly I use an OLED burner phone as a dedicated bed reader and prefer it to eink for that specific use.

I suspect Kindle and I are parting ways here and when my current kindles (I have a PW3 as well) are kaput I'll probably switch to an eink tablet or something with a little more flexibility. But I'll ride my swaybacks into the dirt first.
I’ve bought the Aluminium Kindle Basic 32GB in Seaglass Green. It uses USB to charge
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2026, 03:24 PM   #159
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
DNSB's Avatar
 
Posts: 54,906
Karma: 182340541
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Vancouver
Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundae View Post
I may misunderstand something, but I asked the Alexa ai thing and it claims the special editions do not have USB C. They only charge and transfer data thru pogo. So unless there is some pass thru on the cases, I think people will have to take their case off to charge the thing. Also would make data transfer a bit less convenient.
According to the images on Amazon's website, the Signature Edition Paperwhite and Colorsoft do have a USB C port. The pogo pins are both an alternate charging connection and for connecting the page-turn cover.

As usual, never trust an AI answer without confirming it. Ask the lawyers who have been in trouble over AI's invented precedents.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2026, 03:28 PM   #160
Joykins
Wizard
Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Joykins's Avatar
 
Posts: 1,625
Karma: 9211864
Join Date: Jan 2010
Device: kindle Oasis 2018, kindle PW2, iPhone, Samsung Galaxy Tab A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
The Button and Cover debates will never end.

Evidently Button lovers are a small minority, or Amazon would see a reason to produce devices with them. They come finally come out with cover-with-buttons to accommodate and now it turns out some button lovers don't want to use covers, and don't like or cannot physically use touch screens.
I'm personally excited about getting a kindle with page turn buttons available (even at extra cost) and significantly better battery life than my Oasis, as long as it has screen text rotation in a way that maintains the button mapping. I'm still holding off until more hands-on reviews come in to confirm that these accessories and features mostly work like the Oasis in ways that are important to me, but I am cautiously optimistic.
Joykins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2026, 03:33 PM   #161
Hollow Man
Evangelist
Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Hollow Man's Avatar
 
Posts: 466
Karma: 2035946
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Connecticut
Device: Kindle Colorsoft Signature (2024), Oasis (2016), iPhone 13 Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joykins View Post
I'm personally excited about getting a kindle with page turn buttons available (even at extra cost) and significantly better battery life than my Oasis, as long as it has screen text rotation in a way that maintains the button mapping. I'm still holding off until more hands-on reviews come in to confirm that these accessories and features mostly work like the Oasis in ways that are important to me, but I am cautiously optimistic.
I thought I had read that these page turn buttons will not flip when the device is flipped, but hopefully that is incorrect and/or Amazon will implement this.
Hollow Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2026, 03:42 PM   #162
Joykins
Wizard
Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Joykins's Avatar
 
Posts: 1,625
Karma: 9211864
Join Date: Jan 2010
Device: kindle Oasis 2018, kindle PW2, iPhone, Samsung Galaxy Tab A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollow Man View Post
I thought I had read that these page turn buttons will not flip when the device is flipped, but hopefully that is incorrect and/or Amazon will implement this.
Yeah, it's unclear from the description. I'm about 90% sure they'd have it work like the Oasis, but that's not enough info to buy on. This is one reason I'm waiting on post-release reviews where the reviewer has the device and cover in hand.
Joykins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2026, 03:44 PM   #163
Hollow Man
Evangelist
Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Hollow Man's Avatar
 
Posts: 466
Karma: 2035946
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Connecticut
Device: Kindle Colorsoft Signature (2024), Oasis (2016), iPhone 13 Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joykins View Post
Yeah, it's unclear from the description. I'm about 90% sure they'd have it work like the Oasis, but that's not enough info to buy on. This is one reason I'm waiting on post-release reviews where the reviewer has the device and cover in hand.
It'll also be interesting to see if it feels as good as the Oasis when using it in this way. Amazon worked so hard to come with that shape and weight, designed for clicking those buttons with your thumb, and I'm not convinced yet this is true for the new Paperwhite and Colorsoft case combo.
Hollow Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2026, 03:55 PM   #164
Joykins
Wizard
Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Joykins's Avatar
 
Posts: 1,625
Karma: 9211864
Join Date: Jan 2010
Device: kindle Oasis 2018, kindle PW2, iPhone, Samsung Galaxy Tab A8
Yeah...I'm not exactly in a *hurry* to replace the Oasis, but its battery won't last forever and one time I dropped it and the whole display turned stripey so I always want a backup plan and this is the first one that seems *acceptable*.
Joykins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2026, 04:04 PM   #165
Hollow Man
Evangelist
Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Hollow Man's Avatar
 
Posts: 466
Karma: 2035946
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Connecticut
Device: Kindle Colorsoft Signature (2024), Oasis (2016), iPhone 13 Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joykins View Post
Yeah...I'm not exactly in a *hurry* to replace the Oasis, but its battery won't last forever and one time I dropped it and the whole display turned stripey so I always want a backup plan and this is the first one that seems *acceptable*.
I get it! I'm hanging on to my original Oasis, even though its internal battery readings are all funky (I replaced it once: it didn't help).
Hollow Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Today's Amazon tech event. All Alexa, no Kindles. quatermass Amazon Kindle 12 10-11-2018 11:16 PM
Australia 30% off all kindles today last day applesauce Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links) 1 10-02-2015 05:08 AM
Amazon Kindles are 15% off today, 11/4/2013 ProfCrash Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links) 24 11-07-2013 01:28 AM
Infinite Jest is $1.93 for [US] Kindles today [July 4] holymadness Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links) 5 07-05-2013 04:48 AM
Kindles on Woot today for $150 - SOLD OUT starrigger News 12 07-01-2010 07:02 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:29 PM.


MobileRead.com is a privately owned, operated and funded community.