Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-26-2026, 02:46 PM   #151
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
JSWolf's Avatar
 
Posts: 85,209
Karma: 154365085
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Roslindale, Massachusetts
Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunhill View Post
That's why it was designed this way from the moment you suggested beta notifications: the plugin does its job of notifying users and providing the link, but automatic installation is reserved exclusively for stable versions. This is to avoid version conflicts.

However, users who want to install beta versions are notified and can proceed with the installation, depending on their intended use of the beta.
But asking if I want to install an older version when clearly that won't work is a bug. If I'm running the latest beta version, it should tell me I'm on the latest beta.

You could make it an option to allow beta versions to be downloaded and installed and treated like stable versions and if I'm running a beta, only show me a release version if it's newer because then it can be installed.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 05:04 AM   #152
jpiebrig
Junior Member
jpiebrig began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 1
Karma: 10
Join Date: Sep 2026
Device: Kobo Clara HD
French translation

First of all, I’d like to thank you for your plugin and all the work that goes into it. I find it very useful.
I’m just an ordinary user, and looking at this thread, I’m always surprised to see how complicated it is to do simple things.
Thank you also for wanting to keep this plugin simple to use, without adding extra features that have been rushed through just to satisfy a single user’s request.

“This plugin suits me. Perfect! It doesn’t suit me, so I’ll submit a feature request. It isn’t accepted, and as it stands it doesn’t suit me, so I won’t use it. End of story!”

If a significant number (a lot...) of users express a need for an additional feature, then yes, it’s worth looking into.

I’ve seen far too many developers who’ve created a good programme or plugin give in to simple requests—ones with no basis in general usage—only to very quickly end up with a convoluted mess on their hands, completely off-putting for a novice.

Keep it simple!

After that little digression, I’ll get to my own little request :


I’d like to translate Calibre Updater into French, if it is not already done. Even though there isn’t much to translate, it’s so much nicer and easier to read in your mother tongue.

Could you please tell me where I can find the localisation template or provide the relevant source file (.po or equivalent)?

Once translated, where should I send the French translation?


Thank you.
jpiebrig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 11:28 AM   #153
dunhill
Wizard
dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
dunhill's Avatar
 
Posts: 1,189
Karma: 1512904
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina
Device: moon+ reader, kindle paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpiebrig View Post
First of all, I’d like to thank you for your plugin and all the work that goes into it. I find it very useful.
I’m just an ordinary user, and looking at this thread, I’m always surprised to see how complicated it is to do simple things.
Thank you also for wanting to keep this plugin simple to use, without adding extra features that have been rushed through just to satisfy a single user’s request.

“This plugin suits me. Perfect! It doesn’t suit me, so I’ll submit a feature request. It isn’t accepted, and as it stands it doesn’t suit me, so I won’t use it. End of story!”

If a significant number (a lot...) of users express a need for an additional feature, then yes, it’s worth looking into.

I’ve seen far too many developers who’ve created a good programme or plugin give in to simple requests—ones with no basis in general usage—only to very quickly end up with a convoluted mess on their hands, completely off-putting for a novice.

Keep it simple!

After that little digression, I’ll get to my own little request :


I’d like to translate Calibre Updater into French, if it is not already done. Even though there isn’t much to translate, it’s so much nicer and easier to read in your mother tongue.

Could you please tell me where I can find the localisation template or provide the relevant source file (.po or equivalent)?

Once translated, where should I send the French translation?


Thank you.
Thanks for your feedback. You can send me the file PO right here. I also invite requests for other languages; just place your order and I'll upload the translation updates soon.

Last edited by dunhill; Today at 12:16 PM.
dunhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 11:47 AM   #154
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
JSWolf's Avatar
 
Posts: 85,209
Karma: 154365085
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Roslindale, Massachusetts
Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Is the bug where it's offering me an earlier version because I'm running a beta going to be fixed? Is the bug where it won't download and install a beta going to be fixed?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:05 PM   #155
dunhill
Wizard
dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
dunhill's Avatar
 
Posts: 1,189
Karma: 1512904
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina
Device: moon+ reader, kindle paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Is the bug where it's offering me an earlier version because I'm running a beta going to be fixed? Is the bug where it won't download and install a beta going to be fixed?
Hi JSWolf. There are no plans to modify that part, as the plugin is deliberately designed for the stable branch and the standard installation flow used by the vast majority of users.

Beta versions (Previews) are downloaded from a different directory structure, have a very volatile lifecycle, and handle filenames that vary depending on the architecture or whether they are special packages. Attempting to automate all of that would open the door to many unforeseen version control errors and broken paths.

For those who prefer to test betas, the best approach is to keep the current informational notice as a reference and perform the download and update manually, thus ensuring that the environment and database remain under your control.
dunhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:13 PM   #156
dunhill
Wizard
dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
dunhill's Avatar
 
Posts: 1,189
Karma: 1512904
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina
Device: moon+ reader, kindle paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpiebrig View Post
First of all, I’d like to thank you for your plugin and all the work that goes into it. I find it very useful.
I’m just an ordinary user, and looking at this thread, I’m always surprised to see how complicated it is to do simple things.
Thank you also for wanting to keep this plugin simple to use, without adding extra features that have been rushed through just to satisfy a single user’s request.

“This plugin suits me. Perfect! It doesn’t suit me, so I’ll submit a feature request. It isn’t accepted, and as it stands it doesn’t suit me, so I won’t use it. End of story!”

If a significant number (a lot...) of users express a need for an additional feature, then yes, it’s worth looking into.

I’ve seen far too many developers who’ve created a good programme or plugin give in to simple requests—ones with no basis in general usage—only to very quickly end up with a convoluted mess on their hands, completely off-putting for a novice.

Keep it simple!

After that little digression, I’ll get to my own little request :


I’d like to translate Calibre Updater into French, if it is not already done. Even though there isn’t much to translate, it’s so much nicer and easier to read in your mother tongue.

Could you please tell me where I can find the localisation template or provide the relevant source file (.po or equivalent)?

Once translated, where should I send the French translation?


Thank you.
jpiebrig
Version 1.19 French translation
The only thing not translated is the text describing the features of the latest version.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.png
Views:	2
Size:	73.1 KB
ID:	226428  

Last edited by dunhill; Today at 12:39 PM.
dunhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
[GUI Plugin] Streamer - RSVP Speed Reader plugin for Calibre npapadacis Plugins 6 04-24-2026 03:00 AM
Plugin Updater - help! Pluto Plugins 6 11-26-2023 02:57 PM
Plugin Updater BetterRed Plugins 28 01-10-2018 11:28 PM
Problem with my ScrambleEbook plugin and the Plugin Updater tool jackie_w Development 14 01-19-2017 10:49 PM
[GUI Plugin] Plugin Updater **Deprecated** kiwidude Plugins 159 06-19-2011 12:27 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:21 PM.


MobileRead.com is a privately owned, operated and funded community.