|
|||||||
| View Poll Results: What are your primary methods for finding new books to read? | |||
| Recommendations from people you know |
|
5 | 29.41% |
| Recommendations from authors you follow on social media |
|
4 | 23.53% |
| Recommendations from reviewers you follow on social media |
|
4 | 23.53% |
| Book review websites |
|
3 | 17.65% |
| Book reviews in magazines or newspapers |
|
3 | 17.65% |
| Browse bookstores or libraries |
|
9 | 52.94% |
| Book club that you are a member of |
|
0 | 0% |
| Other (please explain) |
|
8 | 47.06% |
| Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll | |||
![]() |
|
|
Thread Tools | Search this Thread |
|
|
#1 |
|
just an egg
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Posts: 1,944
Karma: 9246004
Join Date: Mar 2015
Device: Kindle, iOS
|
How do you find new books to read?
Hello!
I'm looking for better ways to find new books to read. Usually I browse my local library's new ebook selection via Overdrive, but that tends to be driven by whether a cover, title and/or author catches my eye. I'm wondering how everyone else usually finds new books to read. Thank you, ~oda |
|
|
|
|
|
#2 |
|
Grand Sorcerer
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Posts: 15,794
Karma: 251065365
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Estonia
Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
|
Browsing the bookstores in the genres I read.
|
|
|
|
|
|
#3 |
|
Grand Sorcerer
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Posts: 29,796
Karma: 212614993
Join Date: Jan 2010
Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
|
Browsing book stores mostly. Sometimes I try things family or friends recommend. And strangely enough, I occasionally like to press pause and check out what people on TV shows are reading.
Last edited by DiapDealer; Yesterday at 05:55 PM. |
|
|
|
|
|
#4 |
|
o saeclum infacetum
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Posts: 22,217
Karma: 241025665
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: New England
Device: Mini, H2O, Glo HD, Aura One, PW4, PW5
|
For me, it’s mostly newspaper reviews. But I have such a large backlog of books that I don’t go hunting; I wait to see what catches my eye.
What I would advise someone who’s flailing is to develop a list of books you’ve loved and look them up on Goodreads. See who else has loved them and check out their books. If overall they seem to your taste, start following them. This obviously is only going to work with somewhat more obscure books; finding people who also loved The Martian, say, isn’t much of a filter! |
|
|
|
|
|
#5 |
|
Resident Curmudgeon
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Posts: 85,188
Karma: 153791427
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Roslindale, Massachusetts
Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
|
I have not been in a bookstore in some time. I used to browse quite a bit. I might give the local bookstore a browse next week sometime. Last edited by JSWolf; Today at 09:02 AM. |
|
|
|
|
|
#6 |
|
Bibliophagist
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Posts: 54,815
Karma: 182340541
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Vancouver
Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
|
Browsing online book stores, rarely a B&M bookstore & various authors whose newsletters I get.
At one point, I tried several sites such as Goodreads. For the most part, the recommendations there were of little use. Most of the time any relationship between the books I had read and the recommendations were coincidental at best around the level of both titles had a J in the name. |
|
|
|
|
|
#7 |
|
Grand Sorcerer
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Posts: 29,796
Karma: 212614993
Join Date: Jan 2010
Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
|
I don't even know how far I'd have to travel to find a decent B&M bookstore any more. So when I said "book store," the online variety is what I meant.
|
|
|
|
|
|
#8 | |
|
Addict
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Posts: 217
Karma: 2420042
Join Date: Nov 2023
Location: Belgium / Vlaanderen
Device: Kobo Libra 2 + Vivlio Light HD + (ancient) iPad Pro
|
Quote:
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
#9 | |
|
o saeclum infacetum
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Posts: 22,217
Karma: 241025665
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: New England
Device: Mini, H2O, Glo HD, Aura One, PW4, PW5
|
Quote:
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
#10 |
|
Evangelist
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Posts: 421
Karma: 3230804
Join Date: Mar 2010
Device: Oasis 3, K3, Kobo Clara, Likebook P6
|
I don't go actively looking anymore, as my backlog will carry me for years. But sometimes an author I like mentions another author and I get curious. Other times, I see a book that looks interesting from someone I follow on Storygraph. On rare occasion, I come upon a book review in the newspaper.
|
|
|
|
|
|
#11 |
|
Readaholic
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Posts: 5,380
Karma: 91355159
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: South Georgia
Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
|
I don't follow authors, even the ones I like, on social media. Bookstores feel more like toy stores now and I haven't been in one in years. I do check online bookstores and even Fantastic Fiction for new book releases and the date of release. Another underutilized option I use is Mobil Reads " Hey!! Let's get some action going! What are we reading?" thread. There are some members that I am more likely to like books they are reading. For example, I have picked up a number of books pdurrant has read and liked them. He does seem to be absent right now on that thread. There are other members that have mentioned books that I might now have picked up otherwise. So, check out what other members are reading, you might be pleasantly surprised.
Apache Last edited by Apache; Yesterday at 08:01 PM. Reason: Spelling error |
|
|
|
|
|
#12 |
|
Grand Sorcerer
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Posts: 8,319
Karma: 72602129
Join Date: Feb 2009
Device: Kobo Clara 2E
|
For the most part, I read authors I've read before. I find them by looking at new arrivals at my overdrive libraries. I have an app that is in my Windows startup folder that let's me know when new ebooks have been added.
I'll also read books mentioned in MR threads that sound interesting. I also have several "award winner" lists that I try to read: Hugo, Locus, Edgar, Pulitzer, ... I also read some books from my library's book club. |
|
|
|
|
|
#13 |
|
Wizard
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Posts: 1,927
Karma: 17671736
Join Date: Sep 2022
Device: Kobo Libra 2
|
I just look at what's currently on sale each day. If a title sounds interesting and doesn't require a huge commitment, I'll pick it up to try a new author. If I end up not liking it, then I didn't spend much money to find out the author isn't for me. If it's an author I already like, then I'll probably get it, too.
|
|
|
|
|
|
#14 |
|
Addict
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Posts: 318
Karma: 1250000
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: UK
Device: Kobo Libra
|
I use Fantastic Fiction to find new books.
|
|
|
|
|
|
#15 | |
|
Addict
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Posts: 357
Karma: 2283182
Join Date: May 2024
Location: Salisbury, UK
Device: Assorted Kobo, Boox, PocketBook & Kindle readers
|
Quote:
I go to online bookshops - mainly Kobo and Amazon. And I should look less frequently. I'm a sucker for anything offered cheaply that looks interesting. There's always something that catches my eye. The result of my casual looking at these sites is that I currently have over 600 unread e-books. (That's enough to keep me going for three to four years.) |
|
|
|
|
![]() |
|
Similar Threads
|
||||
| Thread | Thread Starter | Forum | Replies | Last Post |
| Hi all, I need to find a good book to read next! | Tristy1313 | Reading Recommendations | 6 | 03-29-2013 02:23 PM |
| too find the best kobo apps read here | msxman | Kobo Tablets | 1 | 11-03-2011 12:07 PM |
| How do you find new authors to read? | jbcohen | Reading Recommendations | 46 | 01-30-2011 04:03 PM |
| Suggestions on how to find books to read | Argelius | Amazon Kindle | 17 | 08-12-2010 11:50 AM |
| Find me some books to read based on what I have recently read (and liked) | rahulm | Reading Recommendations | 16 | 08-11-2010 03:18 PM |