|
|
#32851 | |
|
o saeclum infacetum
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Posts: 22,201
Karma: 241002891
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: New England
Device: Mini, H2O, Glo HD, Aura One, PW4, PW5
|
Quote:
This is what I do all too often, alas. I see a short stellar mention of a new release and think, "That might be good," and put it on my OverDrive holds lists. By the time it shows up I've forgotten everything about it and don't bother to look into it and just dive in. To my regret. Sometimes I do scan my holds list and purge it when on reflection I realize I really don't want to read something (Yesteryear got the boot), but all too often something that's not to my taste is the new shiny with a ticking clock before it has to go back. I don't learn. |
|
|
|
|
|
|
#32852 | |
|
Readaholic
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Posts: 5,376
Karma: 91355159
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: South Georgia
Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
|
Quote:
![]() The Doorbell Rang is the next Nero Wolfe on my list. I finished A Right to Die about two weeks ago. I am really looking forward to The Doorbell Rang. As you said that is the perfect ending. It is already in my Audible library waiting for me. Once I finish my current listen, I will start it. My wife and I listen to some books together. We do this when we are traveling. We finished The Commodore last week and just started The Iceman. Apache Apache |
|
|
|
|
|
|
#32853 |
|
o saeclum infacetum
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Posts: 22,201
Karma: 241002891
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: New England
Device: Mini, H2O, Glo HD, Aura One, PW4, PW5
|
The Aubrey/Maturin book? Ahh! One of the greatest series of all times, even though the quality did fall off a bit toward the end.
I own the Simon Vance narrations of this series; which do you have? I like the Patrick Tull versions also; he does a better Stephen but I prefer Vance's Jack. |
|
|
|
|
|
#32854 | |
|
Readaholic
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Posts: 5,376
Karma: 91355159
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: South Georgia
Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
|
Quote:
Apache |
|
|
|
|
|
|
#32855 |
|
Grand Sorcerer
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Posts: 29,779
Karma: 212614993
Join Date: Jan 2010
Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
|
I forgot to mention that while I enjoyed Deutermann's The Commodore, I was not crazy about the late Dick Hill's narration. His voice rubbed me the wrong way sometimes. He's done a ton of work for big name authors, so clearly he has fans.
|
|
|
|
|
|
#32856 |
|
Readaholic
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Posts: 5,376
Karma: 91355159
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: South Georgia
Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
|
The Commodore seems to be the last one narrated by Dick Hill. The Iceman is narrated by John Pruden.
Apache |
|
|
|
|
|
#32857 |
|
Grand Sorcerer
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Posts: 46,298
Karma: 61420445
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Peru
Device: KINDLE: Oasis 3, Scribe (1st), Matcha; KOBO: Libra 2, Libra Colour
|
Just finished 'While the Women are Sleeping,' by Javier Marias, a writer whom I highly admire, but now unfortunately dead from covid.
JUST started 'Silencio', by Clyo Mendoza. This is a novella, and her writing is incredibly beautiful. I should be able to finish this today, unless I die. I'm looking forward to it - the reading, you wits! Last edited by Dr. Drib; 09-21-2026 at 10:12 AM. |
|
|
|
|
|
#32858 |
|
(he/him/his)
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Posts: 12,370
Karma: 81280884
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Sunshine Coast, BC
Device: Kobo Libra 2, Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, iPad Air M3
|
Oh, you're in for a treat! Either the Simon Vance or the Patrick Tull narrations are excellent. Others, less so. I'm about due for another round of these myself.
|
|
|
|
|
|
#32859 | |
|
o saeclum infacetum
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Posts: 22,201
Karma: 241002891
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: New England
Device: Mini, H2O, Glo HD, Aura One, PW4, PW5
|
Quote:
And speaking of editions, I was checking to see what’s out there and was appalled to see that Audible has listed abridged editions. Why, Audible, why? I don’t blame Tim Piggot-Smith for narrating them, a gig’s a gig, but why would anyone want to listen to them?
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
#32860 | |
|
Readaholic
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Posts: 5,376
Karma: 91355159
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: South Georgia
Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
|
Quote:
Apache |
|
|
|
|
|
|
#32861 |
|
Grand Sorcerer
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Posts: 29,779
Karma: 212614993
Join Date: Jan 2010
Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
|
I once read Jaws in a condensed Reader's Digest before I fully understood the ramifications. My parents had a ton of those when I was a kid. To this day, I have no idea what I missed. But I don't think I ever read another condensed/abridged book. I never saw the point.
|
|
|
|
|
|
#32862 | |
|
Professor of Law
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Posts: 3,855
Karma: 69840379
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Chapel Hill, NC
Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
|
Quote:
Currently:
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
#32863 |
|
o saeclum infacetum
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Posts: 22,201
Karma: 241002891
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: New England
Device: Mini, H2O, Glo HD, Aura One, PW4, PW5
|
I’ve finished Flashman and the Angel of the Lord wherein Flashy takes part in the raid on Harper’s Ferry and the usual hijinks ensue. The Flashman series is one of my absolute favorites and I only rarely allow myself the treat of reading one (only two to go! :gulp: ); that said, this is probably my least favorite so far. No doubt in part because all series, even the best, deteriorate, but also because for me the setting is pretty homespun compared to the exotic east. Still, imperfect Flashman still beats almost everything.
I’m currently reading the first volume of Henry “Chips” Channon’s diaries; dish about English society and and the corridors of power in the interwar years is so much jam to me. Delicious stuff. Also reading Son of Nobody by Yann Martel. It’s an Iliad pastiche complete with exigesis by a mediocre academic. Mildly amusing and at least different from the typical ancient lit retellings that have flooded the market lately. Most of which are terrible. |
|
|
|
|
|
#32864 | ||
|
Wizard
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Posts: 3,064
Karma: 4340440
Join Date: May 2025
Device: Kobo Forma, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
|
I'd read "Ancillary Sword" by Ann Leckie; I like the way she gets onto the prose by defining and describing the means of even a little flick of an eye, or the tiny gestures, during conversations. Doing that without the reading feels on a slow-motion, off course.
Not sure if I menaged to pinpoint it, but essentially the plot is about socials, civics and citizens, by the eyes of the military-grade, ancillary Breq. I've liked "Frankenstein Alive, Alive!" Quote:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bernie...n_Alive,_Alive! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bernie...s_Frankenstein Quote:
|
||
|
|
|
|
|
#32865 |
|
Is that a sandwich?
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Posts: 8,382
Karma: 105529930
Join Date: Jun 2010
Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
|
Just finished The Murder at World's End by Ross Montgomery.
Locked-room mysteries are my favorite. So, when I discovered that a new one was published this year [2026], I requested it from the library. It did not disappoint even as the solution was rather easy to deduce when you separate the red herrings from the actual clues subtle though they were. The setting being an island off the coast of Cornwall circa 1910 added to the locked-ness. Suspense and humor done competently. This is his first adult novel but has written many children's books. Rated B [4 stars] |
|
|
|
![]() |
|
Similar Threads
|
||||
| Thread | Thread Starter | Forum | Replies | Last Post |
| Hey hey! I found the first Kindle 3 bug! | WilliamG | Amazon Kindle | 22 | 02-14-2012 05:28 PM |
| Advice on Action | jaxx6166 | Writers' Corner | 5 | 06-25-2010 12:29 AM |
| Hey! From Reading - P.A. that is. | GlenBarrington | Introduce Yourself | 3 | 01-01-2010 09:00 PM |
| Seriously thoughtful Affirmative Action | Jaime_Astorga | Lounge | 39 | 07-07-2009 06:24 PM |