|
|
#38851 |
|
Grand Sorcerer
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Posts: 5,628
Karma: 27926918
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Utrecht, the Netherlands
Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
|
Let's see who's late today. Over the summer vacation a bunch of new girls were hired to work the tills at work. They're all teens, so they mostly work evenings and the weekend. But they are unreliable as to when and if they show up. Last week I ended up having to stay late three times. And it's usually only 5 or 10 minutes, but those add up (we don't get paid overtime unless you stay at least 15 minutes late).
And since I'm a cashier level B I'm the one expected to wait until they either show up or a manager has found someone else in the store to take over from me. And tonight three of the new girls (all having either started late or didn't show up at all in the last couple of weeks) are working together. None of my team leaders usually work until 5pm, or the weekend. So they barely see those girls and don't get a chance to talk to them. And the managers agree it sucks but don't really do anything about it. So I'm usually the one stuck having to stay late. |
|
|
|
|
|
#38852 |
|
Bibliophist
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Posts: 9,234
Karma: 8582523
Join Date: Dec 2021
Location: England
Device: none
|
Work ethic in the young does appear to be lacking. The trouble is the more you do, the more they'll let you.
|
|
|
|
|
|
#38853 | |
|
Wizard
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Posts: 3,064
Karma: 4340440
Join Date: May 2025
Device: Kobo Forma, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
|
Quote:
The teacher once divided the group to have them followed by a new teacher, young and at his first experience, suddenly he let anyone feeling fine if them wanted to run low, and yet started the ones contemplating if the exercises were to severe. |
|
|
|
|
|
|
#38854 |
|
Grand Sorcerer
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Posts: 11,659
Karma: 18006732
Join Date: Apr 2015
Device: Sonys, Nooks, Kobo Libra, Forma, Mini, Paperwhite
|
RIP my Kobo Forma. I love you so but your page turn button has broken off and just does not work even taped back in. I tried but I'm just not a touchscreen reader kind of person. I am rediscovering your predecessor, the Kobo Libre.
Now to find a new home for the special collections I was keeping on it. I just want to side load them. I'm done with my Kindle Paperwhite. Can't load my epubs on it. We'll see if the Nook Simple Touch can do what I want it to. If not, I've still got a nice Sony (or four) to try out. |
|
|
|
|
|
#38855 |
|
Resident Curmudgeon
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Posts: 85,100
Karma: 153791427
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Roslindale, Massachusetts
Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
|
Nook simple touch is a disaster. The software is awful. Managing eBooks is non-existent.
|
|
|
|
|
|
#38856 |
|
Grand Sorcerer
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Posts: 11,659
Karma: 18006732
Join Date: Apr 2015
Device: Sonys, Nooks, Kobo Libra, Forma, Mini, Paperwhite
|
It's only one possibility. Not sure the battery is going to hold a charge for longer than a couple of days.
|
|
|
|
|
|
#38857 | |
|
Grand Sorcerer
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Posts: 5,628
Karma: 27926918
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Utrecht, the Netherlands
Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
|
Quote:
But yesterday went quite well. Two of the girls were on time and one came in a couple of minutes late. So that's a huge improvement. Now it'll be interesting to see if they've done the cleaning duties set for the evening and how well they did them. I intentionally didn't mention it to them, they should know by now what needs to happen (there's a check list we have to fill out). But I also know that the new girls love to leave early and not do the cleaning. |
|
|
|
|
|
|
#38858 | |
|
Wizard
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Posts: 3,064
Karma: 4340440
Join Date: May 2025
Device: Kobo Forma, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
|
Quote:
You can test it within a toothpick, to check where the actuators actually are. Last edited by nana77; Yesterday at 01:14 AM. |
|
|
|
|
|
|
#38859 |
|
Grand Sorcerer
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Posts: 8,313
Karma: 72602129
Join Date: Feb 2009
Device: Kobo Clara 2E
|
If you don't mind using only one button, I believe there is a patch so both buttons page forward.
|
|
|
|
|
|
#38860 |
|
Onyx-maniac
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Posts: 4,537
Karma: 22077803
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Germany
Device: Nook NST, Glow2, 3, 4, '21, Kobo Aura2, Poke3, Poke5, Go6
|
If you find that with it cleaned up you have to push the bar below the surface of the case you can try gluing a piece of thick solid wire along the bar to make it easier to push. Stylish too.
If the problem is the actual buttons you could replace them or if you wanted to wire in a little handheld box with your own switches. |
|
|
|
|
|
#38861 | |
|
o saeclum infacetum
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Posts: 22,201
Karma: 241002891
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: New England
Device: Mini, H2O, Glo HD, Aura One, PW4, PW5
|
Quote:
That said, I feel your pain. My Aura One is coming up on ten years old now and there's been nothing on the market for years that fits my druthers the way that does. |
|
|
|
|
|
|
#38862 | |
|
Wizard
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Posts: 3,064
Karma: 4340440
Join Date: May 2025
Device: Kobo Forma, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
|
Quote:
Btw, as you said, it can be an easy DIY replacement and it may just needs to put a thickness under the bar, thought I would be wary on putting a wire (as metal) that could touch the poles both. Anything else's fine - imho. |
|
|
|
|
|
|
#38863 |
|
Onyx-maniac
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Posts: 4,537
Karma: 22077803
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Germany
Device: Nook NST, Glow2, 3, 4, '21, Kobo Aura2, Poke3, Poke5, Go6
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
#38864 |
|
Resident Curmudgeon
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Posts: 85,100
Karma: 153791427
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Roslindale, Massachusetts
Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
|
Another solution. Cover where the button was with electrical tape and learn to like the touch screen.
|
|
|
|
|
|
#38865 |
|
Wizard
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Posts: 3,064
Karma: 4340440
Join Date: May 2025
Device: Kobo Forma, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
|
|
|
|
|
![]() |
| Tags |
| creepy crawlers!, dell computers, monteverdi, thread that never ends, tubery, unutterable silliness |
|
Similar Threads
|
||||
| Thread | Thread Starter | Forum | Replies | Last Post |
| I just have to vent... | lacymarie7575 | Sony Reader | 5 | 08-18-2010 07:59 PM |
| I need to vent! Booksonboard! Ugh! | Mrgauth | News | 25 | 12-17-2009 09:26 AM |
| Why, Oh Why! [RANT] | Vesper | Lounge | 19 | 06-19-2008 11:50 AM |
| Am I allowed to vent here? | sborsody | Which one should I buy? | 25 | 06-12-2007 01:30 PM |