|
|
#406 |
|
Resident Curmudgeon
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Posts: 85,155
Karma: 153791427
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Roslindale, Massachusetts
Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
|
I'm finding calibre processes left behind when I close calibre to install the latest beta. This is 9.11 that leaves the processes behind. I do not have the GPU enabled. I'm on Windows 11 25H2.
|
|
|
|
|
|
#407 |
|
Wizard
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Posts: 1,384
Karma: 1589505
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Goiânia - Brazil
Device: iPad, Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle Oasis
|
With the 9.11.104 preview version, I'm getting this error when clicking in the Favourites Menu plugin icon:
Spoiler:
It didn't happen with last stable version, and the plugin hasn't changed in a while. |
|
|
|
|
|
#408 |
|
Resident Curmudgeon
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Posts: 85,155
Karma: 153791427
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Roslindale, Massachusetts
Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
|
I had no trouble with Favorites menu in 9.11.103 and I cannot get anything to fail in 9.11.104. What exactly did you do when you received the error?
|
|
|
|
|
|
#409 |
|
creator of calibre
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Posts: 46,519
Karma: 29634066
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Mumbai, India
Device: Various
|
@thiago.eec I dont see any calibre code involved there. And I cant replicate it on my machine either.
|
|
|
|
|
|
#410 |
|
Wizard
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Posts: 1,384
Karma: 1589505
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Goiânia - Brazil
Device: iPad, Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle Oasis
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
#411 |
|
Bibliophagist
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Posts: 54,796
Karma: 182340541
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Vancouver
Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
|
calibre 9.15.100
Since there seems to have been no information posted here about 9.15.100, it is now available from the calibre preview link ( https://download.calibre-ebook.com/preview/ ). It corrected an issue when I updated my run from source setup to include the added .avif file format which prevented calibre from running.
|
|
|
|
|
|
#412 | |
|
creator of calibre
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Posts: 46,519
Karma: 29634066
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Mumbai, India
Device: Various
|
Quote:
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
#413 |
|
Plugin Developer
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Posts: 7,636
Karma: 5010535
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Midwest USA
Device: Kobo Clara Colour running KOReader
|
Experimenting with this, I tried invoking 'The Economist' recipe.
Downloading and installing Camoufox happened completely silently without any notice or consent check? Will one be added? Despite running Calibre Portable, Camoufox (and browserforge?) was installed under <user>/AppData/Local/calibre-dbin, not inside the portable install. And it still failed, even with Camoufox. Although I would not be surprised if I was doing something wrong. I never use the News recipes. Debug output: Spoiler:
|
|
|
|
|
|
#414 |
|
creator of calibre
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Posts: 46,519
Karma: 29634066
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Mumbai, India
Device: Various
|
Why would it need consent? You're already downloading code the recipe itself is dynamically downloaded, this is just more code, and it isnt placed in the install directories because it isnt managed by the installer not to mention that on many platforms install directories are not writeable without admin privileges.
As for the 403 that could be the bot protection detecting even camoufox as a bot, as I said in the economist recipe thread I dont know if this will survive usage by large numbers of people. Last time I tried it with eco, about 30 odd hours ago it worked. I would imagine you are interested in testing this with FanFicFare? |
|
|
|
|
|
#415 |
|
Plugin Developer
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Posts: 7,636
Karma: 5010535
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Midwest USA
Device: Kobo Clara Colour running KOReader
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
#416 |
|
creator of calibre
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Posts: 46,519
Karma: 29634066
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Mumbai, India
Device: Various
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
#417 |
|
Chalut o/
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Posts: 722
Karma: 721246
Join Date: Dec 2017
Device: Kobo
|
About "consent", I think that the first time Camoufox is downloaded, it would be nice to have an informational pop-up about it (and if we refuse, it just abort the recipe).
If is true that Calibre download in background many thing, it alway little things (less than 1 Mo) and mostly things that the user explicitly enable. Camoufox is different. It a invicible dependency AND it huge: ~500 Mo. Therefore, I think it is polite to notify the user about this download, as well as its location, so that they can delete it if they want, and behave in an informed manner regarding this folder (in my case, add a exclusion rule for this folder in my sync/backup software). Last edited by un_pogaz; Yesterday at 02:58 AM. |
|
|
|
|
|
#418 |
|
creator of calibre
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Posts: 46,519
Karma: 29634066
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Mumbai, India
Device: Various
|
Except that downloads can run without UI either directly via ebook-convert or in the background via scheduled job with calibre hidden. So how exactly is the user supposed to be notified, let alone asked for permission? Not to mention that most of the recipe descriptions are updated to state that they will download camoufox. And in this day and age 500MB isnt that much. calibre itself is 1GB plus IIRC a simple FTS index for a few thousand book library is multi GB. The *only* downside here is some disk space usage, I dont think that merits special permission. By that token, calibre should be asking users everytime it does anything that uses "lots" of disk space.
|
|
|
|
![]() |
|
Similar Threads
|
||||
| Thread | Thread Starter | Forum | Replies | Last Post |
| Dockerise multiple Calibre releases for plugin development | wolf123 | Related Tools | 1 | 02-06-2021 03:12 AM |
| [Q] How can I check for new releases in a series in calibre or goodreads? | lambstone | Kobo Reader | 1 | 09-09-2016 12:04 AM |
| CC B4.0.X beta (all releases) | chaley | Calibre Companion | 41 | 07-21-2015 06:53 AM |
| CC beta releases 3.4.4j, 3.4.4k, 3.4.4l | chaley | Calibre Companion | 33 | 10-21-2014 06:19 AM |
| dotReader releases first public beta | Alexander Turcic | Reading and Management | 4 | 11-23-2006 01:40 AM |