|
|
#76 |
|
Junior Member
![]() Posts: 4
Karma: 10
Join Date: Mar 2022
Device: Onyx Boox
|
The Economist: working recipe that fetches through your own Chromium
I've created a replacement that works for me, by letting calibre fetch through a real Chromium I already have installed, driven over the Chrome DevTools Protocol. Full write-up, setup steps and code:
https://github.com/CR0CKER/calibre-economist-cdp Requirements: an Economist subscription, Chrome/Chromium, calibre 8 or 9, and Linux. No third-party Python packages. Linux only: that is the only platform it has ever run on. Windows will probably trip over two permission-bit checks that assume POSIX semantics and over the "python3" interpreter name, and macOS may trip over a browser path containing spaces. Each is small and the specifics are in the repo. I have no Mac or Windows machine to test on, so I would welcome someone taking that on; pull requests welcome. Setup is a one-time cookie seed (DevTools, Copy as cURL, import script, one command), after which scheduled downloads run unattended. Why it works, and why UA and cookie tricks do not, is in the README and in my reply in the thread above (post #N). No downloaded editions are or will be shared here. Code only. |
|
|
|
|
|
#77 |
|
Junior Member
![]() Posts: 1
Karma: 10
Join Date: Sep 2026
Device: amazon kindle
|
fetch news error
when trying to download (economist magazine) fetch news with calibre program on windows 11 laptop
keep getting this error: Spoiler:
Last edited by theducks; 09-09-2026 at 02:52 PM. Reason: spoilered logs |
|
|
|
|
|
#78 |
|
Bibliophagist
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Posts: 54,692
Karma: 182340541
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Vancouver
Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
|
Removed unnecessary link after previous message moved to correct thread.
Last edited by DNSB; 09-09-2026 at 10:33 PM. |
|
|
|
|
|
#79 |
|
Junior Member
![]() ![]() ![]() Posts: 1
Karma: 204
Join Date: Sep 2026
Device: Kindle Paperwhite
|
Hello,
I've created a script that builds a Kindle version of The Economist. It requires a paid subscription (after all, I would like the magazine to stay alive), and uses some Python in addition to an adaptation to Kovid's recipe. You will need Playwright, Pillow and Image installed in Python. Tested on 3.11. https://github.com/pdestefanis/EconomistKindle Please use this any way you like. Maybe Kovid could find it useful to adapt it further for Calibre. I did not try to create a version that would bypass login in The Economist. I may have benefited from free versions in the past, but I do think that this is good content worth supporting. 1) Create a new profile for Playwright in Chrome: Open_Chrome_for_Economist.cmd This creates a profile in %LOCALAPPDATA%\Economist-Calibre-Profile. Close that Chrome window after you are done with the capture. 2) Create your venv for Python: py -3 -m venv .venv 3) Call the capture script: .\.venv\Scripts\python.exe .\economist_capture.py --date 2026-08-29 Do not touch that Chrome session as the extraction proceeds. If you want to wipe it, you can find it at --date is optional. If omitted it will fetch the latest issue. See the .py file for other switches. You will need to have Economist_local.recipe in the same folder. |
|
|
|
|
|
#80 |
|
Junior Member
![]() Posts: 1
Karma: 10
Join Date: Sep 2026
Device: Kindle
|
The economist recipe still doesn't work. For me, it worked after the upgrade to 9.10 and stopped working three weeks ago. I am using Calibre on Windows and have upgraded to version 9.15 Many thank! Alex
Here is the error log: calibre, version 9.15.0 (win32, embedded-python: True) Conversion error: Failed: Fetch news from The Economist Spoiler:
Last edited by theducks; 09-18-2026 at 10:03 AM. |
|
|
|
|
|
#81 |
|
Junior Member
![]() Posts: 9
Karma: 10
Join Date: Nov 2025
Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab S8
|
[QUOTE=Braemor;4610426]The economist recipe still doesn't work. For me, it worked after the upgrade to 9.10 and stopped working three weeks ago. I am using Calibre on Windows and have upgraded to version 9.15 Many thank! Alex
Please read back a few messages in the thread. Kovid has explained this many times, unless you have a subscription, it probably won't work going forward. |
|
|
|
|
|
#82 | |
|
Junior Member
![]() Posts: 1
Karma: 10
Join Date: Sep 2026
Device: Kindle
|
Thank you SO much for this. I am a subscriber but have always preferred to read the Economist on my e-reader. I am an avid cover to cover weekly reader and it's been difficult staring at the harsh screens these past weeks!
Quote:
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
#83 |
|
creator of calibre
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Posts: 46,508
Karma: 29634066
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Mumbai, India
Device: Various
|
I have eco working again, if you want to try it use the preview build as described here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=359648
Be warned that the first time you try to download eco it will download a full patched firefox (about 400MB) and then use that to download the actual eco. But, it does work. |
|
|
|
|
|
#84 | |
|
Grand Sorcerer
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Posts: 14,142
Karma: 84684858
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Toronto
Device: Libra H2O, Libra Colour
|
Quote:
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
#85 |
|
want to learn what I want
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Posts: 2,440
Karma: 9656783
Join Date: Sep 2020
Device: Libra Colour
|
Worked fine for me on Windows too.
BTW, thanks for integrating camoufox. I tried it a couple of times while developing the Best Sellers plugin and found it awesome. |
|
|
|
|
|
#86 |
|
creator of calibre
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Posts: 46,508
Karma: 29634066
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Mumbai, India
Device: Various
|
Glad to hear it I am particularly concerned about Windows and Linux. Windows because of antivirus blocking things and Linux because of DLL hell. Also I have no idea if it will continue to work once lots of people begin using it.
|
|
|
|
|
|
#87 |
|
Connoisseur
![]() Posts: 58
Karma: 10
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Device: Kobo Clara Colour
|
Hooray, it works!
Many thanks Kovid |
|
|
|
|
|
#88 |
|
Member
![]() Posts: 11
Karma: 10
Join Date: Dec 2019
Device: Kindle paperwhite
|
Hello, many thanks for this. I am a bit lost about what I should do to apply the fix for The Economist. My laptop is on Windows 11 and has Calibre version 9.15. Shall I download the files in “calibre-9.15.100-x86_64.txz”? If yes, what should I do then? If not, what should I do? Many thanks for your help
|
|
|
|
|
|
#89 | |
|
Guru
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Posts: 945
Karma: 15576564
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Ely, Cambridgeshire, UK
Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Oasis 1
|
Quote:
(This is obviously unsatisfactory for those of us who don't already build our own FFs, but some of us do, or have distro tooling that can do that sort of thing trivially, like Nix (no relation)). (and thanks for doing this!) |
|
|
|
|
|
|
#90 | |
|
creator of calibre
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Posts: 46,508
Karma: 29634066
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Mumbai, India
Device: Various
|
Quote:
|
|
|
|
|
![]() |
|
Similar Threads
|
||||
| Thread | Thread Starter | Forum | Replies | Last Post |
| failed to fetch the economist | etms88 | Recipes | 3 | 12-27-2022 09:07 PM |
| Firmware Upgrade Failed! | greenapple | Ectaco jetBook | 6 | 07-06-2010 03:30 AM |
| Failed to Fetch Economist | wayner | Calibre | 10 | 12-19-2009 12:30 AM |
| Jetbook Hardware Upgrade Failed | Les Hall | Ectaco jetBook | 4 | 08-19-2009 11:28 PM |
| Upgrade to 0.4.84 failed | BrendenM | Calibre | 14 | 10-24-2008 06:25 PM |