Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-16-2026, 02:56 AM   #8146
WestWind
Junior Member
WestWind began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 1
Karma: 10
Join Date: Sep 2026
Device: Kobo Glo N514
Hello, my Kobo Glo (N514) is stuck in "Restoring". May I have an image of the software
WestWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2026, 04:15 AM   #8147
sageme
Junior Member
sageme began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 1
Karma: 10
Join Date: Sep 2026
Location: Italy
Device: kobo glo HD
I would like the firmware image for a Kobo N437 Glo HD.
Thanks a lot.
sageme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2026, 09:37 AM   #8148
Bloembak
Junior Member
Bloembak began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 1
Karma: 10
Join Date: Sep 2026
Device: kobo clara hd
Could I please get the SD card image for a Kobo Clara HD N249, PCB 37NB-E60K00+4A4? Thank you.
Bloembak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2026, 10:15 AM   #8149
LT.round
Junior Member
LT.round began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 1
Karma: 10
Join Date: Sep 2026
Device: kobo clara 2E
Hello,

I have a kobo Clara 2 E and I would like to have an image file (Model N506)

Thank you!
LT.round is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2026, 10:54 AM   #8150
MossyCircuit47
Junior Member
MossyCircuit47 began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 1
Karma: 10
Join Date: Sep 2026
Device: kobo
Hi, could I please have the clean microSD image for a Kobo Clara HD N249? My motherboard is marked 37NB-E60K00… and I have already made a full backup image of the original 8GB microSD card. Thanks!
MossyCircuit47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2026, 11:19 AM   #8151
sharof4ek
Junior Member
sharof4ek began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 3
Karma: 10
Join Date: Sep 2026
Device: None
I need kobo glo hd sd card image
Thank you for help.
sharof4ek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2026, 12:43 PM   #8152
Telbukov
Junior Member
Telbukov began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 1
Karma: 10
Join Date: Sep 2026
Device: Kobo Touch N905B
Could you please send me an SD card image for Kobo Touch N905B? Thank you.
Telbukov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2026, 03:00 PM   #8153
French123
Junior Member
French123 began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 1
Karma: 10
Join Date: Sep 2026
Device: Kobo clara hd n249
Clara hd n249

I need a sd card image for the kobo clara hd n249, could someone send it to me?
French123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2026, 05:08 PM   #8154
carltonpalmer
Junior Member
carltonpalmer began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 1
Karma: 10
Join Date: Sep 2026
Device: Kobo Glo N613
Could I have an image for my Kobo Glo N613? It is stuck on Restoring. Thanks!
carltonpalmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2026, 05:35 PM   #8155
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
DNSB's Avatar
 
Posts: 54,755
Karma: 182340541
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Vancouver
Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
PMs sent.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2026, 05:50 PM   #8156
lindraks
Junior Member
lindraks began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 1
Karma: 10
Join Date: Sep 2026
Device: KOBO CLARA HD
Hello

I would like the firmware image for a Kobo N249 (ClaraHD
Thanks a lot.

Last edited by DNSB; 09-16-2026 at 07:32 PM. Reason: PM sent.
lindraks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2026, 06:07 PM   #8157
Martien
Junior Member
Martien began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 1
Karma: 10
Join Date: Sep 2026
Device: Kobo Clara HD
Hello, my Kobo Clara HD stopped working. I need the image for a new SD card:

Kobo Clara HD N249 — regular/original image, board 37NB-E60K00+4A4
(not the Rev B image)

Thank you so much

Last edited by DNSB; 09-16-2026 at 07:32 PM. Reason: PM sent.
Martien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2026, 01:33 AM   #8158
matematiksel
Junior Member
matematiksel began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 6
Karma: 10
Join Date: Sep 2026
Location: istanbul
Device: obo Aura Edition 2 (N236, 4GB)
Red face

Hello, could you please send me the SD card image for Kobo Aura Edition 2 (Model N236)? If possible, both V1 and V2 would be great. Thank you!


Hello everyone,
I joined this forum because my Kobo Aura Edition 2 (N236) became stuck on the “Restoring” screen after I installed a third-party interface.
I carefully opened the device, removed the internal microSD card, and am currently creating a non-destructive backup on my Mac. I am looking for advice from people familiar with Kobo repairs, especially anyone who may have a verified N236 V2 recovery or firmware image.
My books are already backed up; my main goal is simply to make the reader boot again. I hope to learn from the community and share the results of the recovery process.
Thank you for your help.


Kobo Aura Edition 2 (N236) stuck at “Restoring” – SD recovery and request for a clean N236 V2 image

My Kobo Aura Edition 2 (model N236) became stuck on the “Restoring” screen after I had installed a third-party interface. I initially suspected that the third-party software was the only cause.

I opened the device carefully without damaging it, photographed the motherboard, and removed the internal microSD card without physically harming the card. I then connected the card to my MacBook using the built-in SD card reader.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Unknown-4.jpeg
Views:	16
Size:	208.3 KB
ID:	226000

The motherboard marking identifies the processor as **NXP MCIMX6L7DVN10AB**, an **i.MX 6SoloLite**. The card is approximately 8 GB and has the following layout:

- Linux partition, approximately 268 MB
- Linux partition, approximately 268 MB
- FAT32 `KOBOeReader` partition, approximately 3.4 GB
- Additional unpartitioned space

The exact brand and part number of the original card could not be confirmed from the motherboard photographs. I am therefore not assuming that it is the SanDisk card shown in some similar Kobo teardowns.

I asked ChatGPT Codex to inspect the card in a non-destructive way. It performed read-only checks, identified the partition structure, and started creating a full raw image on the Mac. GNU `ddrescue` and related recovery tools were installed for this purpose.

The card showed repeated raw read timeouts and read errors with two different card readers. Healthy areas could be read at approximately 33–37 MB/s, while other areas caused long pauses and retries. At the latest check, approximately 91% of the 7.95 GB device had been rescued, with hundreds of read-error events recorded. This is not yet a final diagnosis, but it suggests a possible SD-card NAND/controller or media problem rather than only a filesystem problem.

The current procedure is:

1. Complete the full `ddrescue` image.
2. Retry the remaining problematic areas using targeted recovery passes.
3. Inspect the locally saved image and system partitions read-only.
4. Look for firmware files, boot files, and traces of the third-party software.
5. Compare everything with a clean **Kobo Aura Edition 2 N236 V2** image if one becomes available.
6. Write the clean image to a new card and test whether the reader boots.

The books themselves do not need to be recovered; I already have backups. The important goal is to make the device boot again.

I have purchased an **ADATA Premier 32 GB microSDHC**, model **AUSDH32GUICL10A1-RA1**. The intended specification is:

- 32 GB microSDHC
- UHS-I
- Class 10 / U1 / V10
- A1
- FAT32 after installation

ADATA lists this model at up to 100 MB/s read and 25 MB/s write, although some listings describe an older 85 MB/s revision. Either speed is sufficient for the Kobo. The i.MX6SoloLite supports UHS-I at the hardware level, but Kobo’s older bootloader and Linux software are not documented to support the additional command-queueing and cache features required for A2 performance. Therefore A2 would be backward-compatible but would not provide a meaningful advantage here.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Ekran Resmi 2026-09-17 12.23.41.png
Views:	16
Size:	402.5 KB
ID:	226001

I am looking for a verified **N236 V2 raw image or recovery image**, preferably with a checksum and clear information about the required partition layout. I will not format or overwrite the original card until the recovery image and current backup have been checked.


[UPDATE — 17 September 2026]

The non-destructive raw image is still being created. At the time of this update, the local recovery monitor reports approximately 99.79% recovered: about 7.93 GB of a 7.95 GB source device, with approximately 16.2 MB still remaining.

The process is currently in ddrescue’s “trimming failed blocks” phase. Progress through the remaining area is slow, and the read-error count continues to change as retries proceed. These figures are live and may change.

I also built a small local, read-only dashboard for this recovery. I did this to avoid repeatedly asking ChatGPT Codex for progress updates, which would consume quota and provide slower feedback. The dashboard reads the ddrescue log locally and refreshes automatically every two seconds.

It shows:

- the overall recovery percentage for the complete SD card;
- rescued and estimated remaining bytes;
- confirmed unreadable sectors and error areas;
- the current ddrescue phase, position, speed, ETA and runtime;
- a history graph;
- the image and map-file information.

I added a second progress indicator specifically for the remaining area. The normal 99.xx% figure uses the entire 7.95 GB card as its denominator, so it can appear frozen even when a small amount of progress is being made. The second indicator normalizes only the remaining region, making those small changes visible. It is only a visualization and does not change ddrescue’s measurements.

The dashboard now has both Turkish and English interfaces. It is running locally on my Mac, so forum readers cannot access the localhost address directly; I can provide screenshots or share the code if useful.

No formatting or writing has been performed on the original card.

Next steps remain:

1. Complete the initial ddrescue image.
2. Retry the unreadable areas with targeted recovery passes and the second card reader.
3. Inspect the saved image and system partitions read-only.
4. Compare it with a verified Kobo Aura Edition 2 N236 V2 image, if one becomes available.
5. Write a clean image to the new ADATA 32 GB microSDHC card and test whether the reader boots.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ekran Resmi 2026-09-17 17.41.36.png
Views:	22
Size:	858.9 KB
ID:	226005  

Last edited by DNSB; 09-17-2026 at 05:13 PM. Reason: cleaned up large image which was already an attachment. A request to enable PMs has been placed.
matematiksel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2026, 06:43 AM   #8159
lastresort
Junior Member
lastresort began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 1
Karma: 10
Join Date: Sep 2026
Device: Kobo Mini N705
Hi, I need a clean SD card image for a Kobo Mini N705 to fix a corrupted internal car

Hi, I need a clean SD card image for a Kobo Mini N705 to fix a corrupted internal card. Thank you!
lastresort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2026, 02:31 PM   #8160
bero74
Junior Member
bero74 began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 1
Karma: 10
Join Date: Sep 2026
Device: Kobo Clara HD
Hi, I would like the firmware image for a Kobo N249 Clara HD (4.38.21908). Thank you!
bero74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
firmware requests


Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Touch Anyone have a Kobo Touch SD card image nye2654321 Kobo Developer's Corner 75 02-08-2026 10:20 AM
Glo Kobo Glo: Need SD card image Teddy66 Kobo Developer's Corner 582 09-04-2023 09:31 AM
Glo HD I need a new Image Sd Card for the Kobo Glo HD Ullysses Silva Kobo Developer's Corner 3 08-06-2022 06:35 AM
Glo Kobo Glo: Need SD card image Atrebate62 Kobo Reader 2 08-16-2019 01:45 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:55 PM.


MobileRead.com is a privately owned, operated and funded community.