Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 09-25-2008, 12:08 AM   #1
Abisha
Connoisseur
Abisha knows what time it isAbisha knows what time it isAbisha knows what time it isAbisha knows what time it isAbisha knows what time it isAbisha knows what time it isAbisha knows what time it isAbisha knows what time it isAbisha knows what time it isAbisha knows what time it isAbisha knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS-505, Sony PRS-950
Question CJK fonts on North American PRS-505 possible?

Hello everyone. I have a quick question that I'm hoping someone can help me clear up. The main reason I purchased an eReader was to be able to read the hundreds upon hundreds of pages of .doc and .pdf documents I receive from my University professors I get each semester. So far I've had a very pleasant reading experience and it has been wonderful not to have to print off all these documents which I inevitably end up disposing/recycling anyways. Well, I've kinda hit a snag in my wonderful eReader experience. It seems that I can't get the Sony PRS-505 to display Kanji/Katakana/Hiragana properly. I'm assuming this problem is consistent to all CJK fonts. I REALLY need help with this. I'm a linguistic major and it's crucial that I can read these documents. If anyone knows how I can get CJK (Chinese, Japanese, Korean) fonts to render properly I will be ever so grateful!

Thanks much for any aid you can offer!

-Abisha
Abisha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 04:05 AM   #2
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
My understanding is that if the PDF has the fonts embedded, then there'd be no problems, but if not (probably because that would hugely increase the size of the file), then you'll need to do some work to replace the 'standard' fonts.

I'd suggest searching the forum for "Chinese" rather than "CJK", but as a short-cut, take a look at http://xp.sg/hacks/unicode-support-for-prs-505/ - Note that the info here is also relevant as it deals with the same issue (replacing the standard fonts) but while less specific to CJK fonts, has more information about the process.

As an aside, please note that an "eReader" is a quite different device to a Sony Reader!
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 10:38 AM   #3
Abisha
Connoisseur
Abisha knows what time it isAbisha knows what time it isAbisha knows what time it isAbisha knows what time it isAbisha knows what time it isAbisha knows what time it isAbisha knows what time it isAbisha knows what time it isAbisha knows what time it isAbisha knows what time it isAbisha knows what time it is

Thank you for the quick reply. I'm reading the content of the link you shared right now. As for my ignorance concerning "eReader", it won't happen again.

-Abisha
Old 09-25-2008, 11:16 AM   #4
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynevans View Post
As an aside, please note that an "eReader" is a quite different device to a Sony Reader!
...and not even a device at all
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 12:50 PM   #5
Valloric
Created Sigil, FlightCrew
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
The Reader supports Unicode fonts out-of-the box, the only problem is that it ships with fonts that are not Unicode (classic Sony idea; they like reveling in irony). We have a very nice guide (if I may say so myself :P) on changing these default fonts here.

You need to find a Unicode font and then use the linked guide to replace the default Reader font with it. This should all be fairly simple and easy to do.

EDIT: For some strange reason, I missed gwynevans's post.

Last edited by Valloric; 09-25-2008 at 12:53 PM.
Valloric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 11:52 PM   #6
Abisha
Connoisseur

Thank you for all the helpful replies.
Old 10-26-2008, 10:50 AM   #7
bambou
bambou began at the beginning.

Device: treo600,prs505,gbasp
Smile

hi,have you figured it out ? we are prs505-fans from china(mainland&taiwan).We have made a cave in the HIPDA FORUM.
Some guys had really made a few solutions for the CJK display on prs 505 , txt& bbeb(unicode) are both OK(in fact ,perfect).Of cause ,their solutions are base on igorsk and the other people's works.Thx,again! Some guys had made some different font for CJK reading ,at least ,chinese (simple &traditonal) and japanese are perfectly display on my prs505.
If you could read chinese ,just come to our forum to join us .Or you could google "Sony Reader PRS 505 中文化 ".
GOOD LUCK!
bambou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 06:35 PM   #8
bigriff
bigriff began at the beginning.

Device: none
English

Wow, great...

I can't read chinese- Can you do a how to in english?
bigriff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 09:56 PM   #9
allon_pan
allon_pan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.allon_pan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.allon_pan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.allon_pan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.allon_pan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS 505
It's exactly same routine as this post https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20644

all you need is to have 3 font files support Chinese.
allon_pan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 10:21 PM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
It's actually better to do it via ePub (IMHO).

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36361
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote