Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 05-24-2024, 05:00 AM   #16
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRM66 View Post
I only have calibre 4.15.
As it works well to convert and am worried to change it as am an oldie.
Can I still install the Kobo Utilities?
Only have just ordered the Kobo Clara Colour
There is no reason at all not to upgrade. What OS are you running?
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2024, 05:22 AM   #17
MRM66
Zealot
MRM66 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara Col.Samsung A7 & A8 Tab.Samsung Galaxy Tab A8 & Kindle 2.
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
There is no reason at all not to upgrade. What OS are you running?
Windows 11.
All I know is I installed calibre years ago and also an Alf plug in.
They both work well stil.l
Am nervous about change as I love my books being in calibre.

All I basically want to do I is get the Kobo and side-line books I have, and read them.
As my old kindle doesnt like to charge anymore.
Im an oldie so struggle more nowadays.

My motto is--Don't get old!
MRM66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2024, 06:28 AM   #18
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Upgrade to Win11 is more risk than Calibre upgrade
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2024, 07:32 AM   #19
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
I only have calibre 4.15.
As it works well to convert and am worried to change it as am an oldie.
Can I still install the Kobo Utilities?
Only have just ordered the Kobo Clara Colour
As DNSB said, you must upgrade calibre to at least version 7.9 in order to load books onto a libra colour with calibre. If you are unwilling to upgrade then don't buy that reader.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2024, 07:35 AM   #20
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
As DNSB said, you must upgrade calibre to at least version 7.9 in order to load books onto a libra colour with calibre. If you are unwilling to upgrade then don't buy that reader.
Or just sideload to it without connecting it to calibre.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2024, 07:43 AM   #21
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Does that work with metadata such as collections, series, etc?
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2024, 08:10 AM   #22
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
No idea, but the OP didn't say they require that. As I understand, they just want to get the books to the device somehow.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2024, 08:52 AM   #23
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Or use Calibre Save to Disk and pretend it's a drive, or copy via filemanager from a folder.

The only really awkward ereader or gadget I met was the reMarkable. It only used netwoking and your web browser!
Old 05-24-2024, 08:57 AM   #24
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Quote:
No collections or series, just title & author.

Personally I like having the collection(s), series, subtitle, blurb etc all settable in Calibre and automatically set on the ereader. So I only use other than Kobo eink for testing or technical PDFs, or preview POD PDFs.
Kobo + Calibre is a winning combination for epub novels. Of course I convert via docx from saved websites and azw3/mobi from Amazon to epub.
Old 05-24-2024, 10:15 AM   #25
MRM66
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
That would be perfect
As that's what I have been doing with my old kindle. Putting a few books into a folder and dragging and dropping.
But not sure where the kobo folder I need to use is.

I could maybe try it with calibre later
Old 05-24-2024, 11:24 AM   #26
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Windows 11.
All I know is I installed calibre years ago and also an Alf plug in.
They both work well stil.l
Am nervous about change as I love my books being in calibre.

All I basically want to do I is get the Kobo and side-line books I have, and read them.
As my old kindle doesnt like to charge anymore.
Im an oldie so struggle more nowadays.

My motto is--Don't get old!
You are at Windows 11 already. So being modern (so you can get the best from Calibre) is possible.
1) Simply backup your Libraries to an external drive
2) remember to also backup the configuration folder
3) install Calibre 7.11 (or later for those that find this thread)
4) Replace your old Alf's with NoDRM (https://github.com/noDRM/DeDRM_tools/releases)
5) Add Kobo Utilities and the Extended edition, optionally the KePub... plugins (all except NoDRM are on the Get Plugins menu)

That should be it. Modern and current features (and you have that backup for later 'just in cases')

BTW there are quite a few of us here, that were born before 1960 .
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2024, 11:32 AM   #27
MRM66
Zealot

Alright I have messed up already
Kobo just came.
i plugged it in and set up the wi fi...3 times. thats all it asks me to do

Last edited by MRM66; 05-24-2024 at 11:35 AM.
Old 05-24-2024, 11:52 AM   #28
MRM66
Zealot

Question

Quote:
Alright I have messed up already
Kobo just came.
i plugged it in and set up the wi fi...3 times. thats all it asks me to do
Don't know what I have done but managed to drop 3 of my books into the kobo folder yippee
Can now actually see the books folders screen.

But can't understand why kobo does not show up as an external on my pc, as when I plugged the kindle in it always did.
So not sure how to add more books.
But there is always another day lol
Old 05-24-2024, 11:54 AM   #29
MRM66
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
You are at Windows 11 already. So being modern (so you can get the best from Calibre) is possible.
1) Simply backup your Libraries to an external drive
2) remember to also backup the configuration folder
3) install Calibre 7.11 (or later for those that find this thread)
4) Replace your old Alf's with NoDRM (https://github.com/noDRM/DeDRM_tools/releases)
5) Add Kobo Utilities and the Extended edition, optionally the KePub... plugins (all except NoDRM are on the Get Plugins menu)

That should be it. Modern and current features (and you have that backup for later 'just in cases')

BTW there are quite a few of us here, that were born before 1960 .
Thanks for all that, I may actually have a go once I have figured out the Kobo
And having a good day without my bad back.
Old 05-24-2024, 12:58 PM   #30
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
You can't unleash the all features of the Kobo with an old Calibre.
Kobo supports Series (remember, this needs you to eject, wait for the 'processing' to complete, then you reconnect and wait for 0 jobs in Calibre (that indicates the additional data has finished being sent).
The rest is controlled by the Kobo Menus.
Note: There are 2 layers on what you can do.
1) is from the Library view. This is the overall one for your device.
2) during a Book is more of the margins and fonts like your Kindle had.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote