Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

View Poll Results: Would you like a "Send to Kobo" service like Kindle?
Yes 43 50.59%
No 28 32.94%
Maybe 13 15.29%
I would even pay for it! 1 1.18%
Voters: 85. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-21-2024, 10:22 AM   #46
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
I thought Kobo did have that? Or am I thinking of Nook?

Either way, it's a feature I never use, so they should probably remove it and stop devoting resources to its upkeep
I don't think either Nook or Kobo have any way to send books to them via eMail. Maybe they do when using KoReader or another add-on application?

I've used this feature fairly often with my PocketBooks. Mostly for borrowing library books via Overdrive but also for buying eBooks on eBooks.com.

Last edited by rcentros; 05-21-2024 at 10:24 AM.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2024, 10:29 AM   #47
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
I don't think either Nook or Kobo have any way to send books to them via eMail. Maybe they do when using KoReader or another add-on application?
Sorry friend. I was answering a part of your message that maybe I misunderstood. I meant that Kobo and Nook had ADE integration. Not that you could email an .acsm (or anything else) to them.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2024, 10:30 AM   #48
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cactus Chef View Post
Plus, I think it would improve Kobo's market position. I encounter so many people on the Kobo subreddit looking to move away from Kindle, but then drop the ball as soon as they discover there's no Send-to-Kindle equivalent. For whatever reason, that's a deal-breaker for alot of people. I don't agree with the sentiment, but it seems to be what people want.
Yeah, I see the same.
Old 05-21-2024, 10:47 AM   #49
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

And I'd like to point out the thread below this one: Is there a way to "push" a book to a Kobo reader wirelessly?
Old 05-21-2024, 10:59 AM   #50
Cootey
Absentminded Reader
Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Clara HD, Elipsa; Kindle Paperwhite 3 & 4; iOS eReader apps
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentPartner View Post
What do you think?

A service that would send any files to your Kobo and convert ePub to Kobo format (KePub) and add a sync across all your devices (phone, tablet computer, ereaders.)

Personally, one thing I love with Kobo is it's great integration with Calibre and how I can manage my books into collections (I use tags.) A "Send to Kobo" service would have to keep that possibility and all metadatas.

PS : This poll is for entertainment purposes only. Have fun discussing it.

If you have a Mac, you could write an Apple script to move the attached epub in an email into your Calibre watch folder. 🤷🏻*♂️

If I wasn’t behind on some deadlines this week, I’d work that script up for the fun of it.
Cootey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2024, 05:37 PM   #51
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Sorry friend. I was answering a part of your message that maybe I misunderstood. I meant that Kobo and Nook had ADE integration. Not that you could email an .acsm (or anything else) to them.
Nook has some kind of ADE integration, but it's not via WiFi like the PocketBook (or Tolino, or at least "pre-Kobo software" Tolinos). You still "officially" need ADE on your computer (or, unofficially, the Calibre plugin, I believe). The Nook works more like the Kobo here. The PocketBook works entirely independently of ADE on your computer (or Calibre plugin). You send the ACSM file to the PocketBook and it does the rest.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2024, 06:15 PM   #52
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Kindle Oasis 2, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cactus Chef View Post
Yeah, I think it would be useful. I do have multiple Kobo devices that I read from, depending on the location, and so I will confess to having re-purchased a handful of books on Kobo that I had already purchased from Amazon because I simply wanted to make sure my progress was syncing. They weren't more than $2-3 each, but still. It's the sideload-syncing I care more about than the wireless-transfer option, really. If they could just bake that into the existing Dropbox or Drive integrations, I think that would be sufficient.

Plus, I think it would improve Kobo's market position. I encounter so many people on the Kobo subreddit looking to move away from Kindle, but then drop the ball as soon as they discover there's no Send-to-Kindle equivalent. For whatever reason, that's a deal-breaker for alot of people. I don't agree with the sentiment, but it seems to be what people want.
It was a dealbreaker for my sister-in-law. She likes to heavily annotate her reading and she loves the Kindle sync, since she can annotate either her Amazon purchases, or any books/documents she sends via Send-To-Kindle and know her annotations are backed up in the cloud.
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2024, 01:41 AM   #53
Jane Eyre
Zealot
Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Kindle P.white3/Kobo Clara 2E
Well, but...I think that a complete integration between the two competitors would be the real gift for us the readers...! But I know, since they are closed platforms this is impossible.
Kobo should, at least, integrate itself with IBS so that their clients could easily download their books from both accounts. It would be very useful for Tolino users who can't buy a new model since they don't market Tolino eraders in my country anymore.
Jane Eyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2024, 01:42 AM   #54
johnnyb
Cloud Reader
johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle Scribe, iPad Pro 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by graycyn View Post
It was a dealbreaker for my sister-in-law. She likes to heavily annotate her reading and she loves the Kindle sync, since she can annotate either her Amazon purchases, or any books/documents she sends via Send-To-Kindle and know her annotations are backed up in the cloud.
I’m in the same boat as your sister. I think for every “I don’t want it cause I don’t need it” there’s a person like her who wants to open their book seamlessly on other devices and have the time invested in the book stored safely in the cloud.
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2024, 03:02 AM   #55
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyb View Post
I’m in the same boat as your sister. I think for every “I don’t want it cause I don’t need it” there’s a person like her who wants to open their book seamlessly on other devices and have the time invested in the book stored safely in the cloud.
There are some persons? Yes. 50% of the users, I seriously doubt it or Kobo would have invested on it.
Terisa de morgan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2024, 05:05 AM   #56
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by graycyn View Post
I turned that off when I used a Kindle. I don't want Amazon having a copy. Also the cloud is just someone else's server and may not be a backup.

Highlight & Annotation export is far better and more useful on Kobo than Kindle. I've 1000s of files on my computer from exports and they are backed up.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2024, 05:52 AM   #57
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:

I don't understand why some people say they don't need or want it, so nobody should have it.
Like others, I answered the question that was asked - which was not that. If the question had been different, I may have replied differently.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2024, 05:56 AM   #58
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
I think so, too.

I don't understand why some people say they don't need or want it, so nobody should have it.
The reason I say no for everyone is that this is a feature that will take up space in the firmware and given that Kobo supports older devices that may not have as much room for the firmware as newer devices, I'd rather save the same for a feature that will be of more use to more people.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2024, 07:03 AM   #59
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The reason I say no for everyone is that this is a feature that will take up space in the firmware and given that Kobo supports older devices that may not have as much room for the firmware as newer devices, I'd rather save the same for a feature that will be of more use to more people.
Does the firmware size matter? There are a lot of hidden features that are hidden in the firmware already. I would guess that there are features that are in the firmware that can't even be (or aren't supposed to be) used on older devices (dropbox, ...).
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2024, 09:27 AM   #60
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
Does the firmware size matter? There are a lot of hidden features that are hidden in the firmware already. I would guess that there are features that are in the firmware that can't even be (or aren't supposed to be) used on older devices (dropbox, ...).
Yes. I'd guess that's why Chess was removed. Just before I got my original Aura H2O!
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote