Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

View Poll Results: Would you like a "Send to Kobo" service like Kindle?
Yes 43 50.59%
No 28 32.94%
Maybe 13 15.29%
I would even pay for it! 1 1.18%
Voters: 85. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-20-2024, 03:59 PM   #31
Aleron Ives
Wizard
Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Yes, the thread title and poll question are not the same. Should Kobo have a STK-esque feature? Probably, because it would bring Kobo closer to feature parity with Kindle. Would I like a STK feature for Kobo? No, I would never use such a thing. I voted according to the poll question, not the thread title.
Aleron Ives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2024, 05:44 PM   #32
Gone
Out of order
Gone has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Gone has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Gone has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Gone has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Gone has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Gone has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Gone has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Gone has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Gone has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Gone has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Gone has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Libra Colour
My bad.

Last edited by Gone; 05-20-2024 at 06:15 PM. Reason: smileys
Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2024, 06:18 PM   #33
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
To both the poll question and the thread question, both are a NO from me. I don't want it. I would not use it and it would take up space in the firmware that could maybe be used for something actually useful.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2024, 08:50 PM   #34
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentPartner View Post
Kepub is the Kobo format. I would think if there was a service like Send to Kobo, kepub would be the chosen format. I'm not picking sides in favor of any format.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
BTW, what format would you prefer a Send to Kobo to handle? Much like Amazon does not permit mobi, azw3/KF8 or KFX formats to use StK, should Kobo not permit ePub format ebooks from being accepted by a Send to Kobo service?
Perhaps you should re-read what I wrote? Pay attention to the "Amazon does not permit mobi, azw3/KF8 or KFX formats to use StK". I am not talking about what formats a Sent to Kobo service would deliver to the end user but rather what formats could be sent to a Send to Kobo service. By simple logic, Kobo should not permit sending ePub format ebooks (kepub is a simple variant on ePub) since Amazon does not permit Amazon ebook formats to be sent to Send to Kindle.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2024, 10:12 PM   #35
Gone
Out of order
Gone has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Gone has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Gone has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Gone has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Gone has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Gone has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Gone has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Gone has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Gone has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Gone has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Gone has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

I already answered.

Maybe you should re-read my answer.
Old 05-20-2024, 10:15 PM   #36
Gone
Out of order

deleted

Last edited by Gone; 05-29-2024 at 02:37 PM. Reason: deleting account
Old 05-20-2024, 11:45 PM   #37
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
I don't know how to delete my account. So, I'll just suppress my password and never come back as a member. Good luck.
The approach most people use is to post in this thread --> https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=329612

Sent from my Pixel 7a using Tapatalk
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2024, 12:47 AM   #38
Amalthia
Wizard
Amalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505, PRS-650, PRS-T3, Pocketbook HD2
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
I would like a Send-to-Kobo feature, but not like the Kindle's, more like the PocketBook's Send-to-PocketBook feature. I like being to able to buy a book online (basically from anywhere either from a smartphone or computer), downloading the .acsm file, and sending that file to my PocketBook via email and, since PocketBook has ADE built-in, it automatically downloads the book from the .acsm file. Also works for Overdrive ePubs.

I doubt you're going to get it though since Kobo is hoping you'll buy your books from them and most likely aren't anxious to make it easier to buy elsewhere.

For when I do buy books from Kobo on my Kobo (rarely) I would like the option to download the book in ePub format instead of the standard (only) choice KePub.
I hadn't realized the Send-to-Pocketbook didn't work like the send to Kindle feature. I don't use the "Send-to-Pocketbook" often but it's is rather easy to use and I can send the ebooks to my device from within Calibre...
Amalthia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2024, 04:03 AM   #39
johnnyb
Cloud Reader
johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle Scribe, iPad Pro 11
There was a survey a while ago from Kobo asking that exact same question.
They do the hardware and now also the software for the German tolino brand, and their platform has a cloud service, so I suppose there’s a possibility that the tech might make its way back to Kobo.
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2024, 04:20 AM   #40
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Kepub is the Kobo format. I would think if there was a service like Send to Kobo, kepub would be the chosen format. I'm not picking sides in favor of any format.
If it was like Amazon's STK, then kepub would not be supported. You can't send any Amazon format to Amazon's STK. It's designed to hoover up the competition. Logically if the same idea, it would only support DRM free mobi and azw3. The STK only takes DRM free non-Amazon content.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2024, 05:10 AM   #41
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Well, duh.

I'm one of those who only reads on one device. It wouldn't impact me either way. But it is something that is brought up as an advantage of Kindle all the time.
I would like a PocketBook style Send-to-Kobo, where I could buy my book on eBooks.com (for example) from my smartphone, and then send the .acsm file to my Kobo via eMail (the Kobo would have to have built-in ADE, like a PocketBook). This would mostly be helpful when I travel (which I don't much of any more). I've done this in the past with my Kindle.

This would make it convenient to buy eBooks from someone other than Kobo, which is probably why it will never happen.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2024, 05:13 AM   #42
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
IMO STK is more about Amazon wanting info on your reading habits and getting free copies of stuff they didn't sell. Significant it doesn't take Kindle ebooks, but epubs and pdfs?
I can't speak for Amazon's motives, but I would definitely like a Send-to-Kobo feature something like a Send-to-PocketBook feature.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2024, 09:52 AM   #43
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
I would like a PocketBook style Send-to-Kobo, where I could buy my book on eBooks.com (for example) from my smartphone, and then send the .acsm file to my Kobo via eMail (the Kobo would have to have built-in ADE, like a PocketBook).
I thought Kobo did have that? Or am I thinking of Nook?

Either way, it's a feature I never use, so they should probably remove it and stop devoting resources to its upkeep
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2024, 10:01 AM   #44
Cactus Chef
Addict
Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Kobo Clara HD, Galaxy Tab S5e, Kindle 4th Gen
Yeah, I think it would be useful. I do have multiple Kobo devices that I read from, depending on the location, and so I will confess to having re-purchased a handful of books on Kobo that I had already purchased from Amazon because I simply wanted to make sure my progress was syncing. They weren't more than $2-3 each, but still. It's the sideload-syncing I care more about than the wireless-transfer option, really. If they could just bake that into the existing Dropbox or Drive integrations, I think that would be sufficient.

Plus, I think it would improve Kobo's market position. I encounter so many people on the Kobo subreddit looking to move away from Kindle, but then drop the ball as soon as they discover there's no Send-to-Kindle equivalent. For whatever reason, that's a deal-breaker for alot of people. I don't agree with the sentiment, but it seems to be what people want.
Cactus Chef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2024, 10:01 AM   #45
lumping-sugar66
Enthusiast
lumping-sugar66 loves his/her reader more than momlumping-sugar66 loves his/her reader more than momlumping-sugar66 loves his/her reader more than momlumping-sugar66 loves his/her reader more than momlumping-sugar66 loves his/her reader more than momlumping-sugar66 loves his/her reader more than momlumping-sugar66 loves his/her reader more than momlumping-sugar66 loves his/her reader more than momlumping-sugar66 loves his/her reader more than momlumping-sugar66 loves his/her reader more than momlumping-sugar66 loves his/her reader more than mom

Device: Kobo Aura Edition 2, Kobo Clara 2E
My answer is a very strong "maybe".

I think this goes hand-in-hand with another poll we did in this forum a while ago; the question was, "Do you edit your books?" or something like that. If you're a heavy editor (I am), this pretty much forces you to sideload your books and use Calibre. If you have a calibre library. Once things are in Calibre, I don't see a point in adding extra steps to send the books via email.

Plus, I love managing my ever-growing calibre library. I see send-to-kobo as only useful on a trip or something where I'm buying books without a means to load them onto my Kobo. I still may use send. djazz in that situation cause much it's faster.
lumping-sugar66 is offline   Reply With Quote