Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-20-2024, 03:12 PM   #16
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by PunkyKoopa View Post
Yes, I know, but I think that patching won't be easy for me, let alone my friend.

I could use both Un-Force user text-align in div,p tags in KePubs and the word-spacing patches, but I fear to brick my device.
I haven't heard of anyone bricking their device with patching, if that's any comfort. All I've heard is that patching simply won't work if done wrong.

There's now the KoboPatchFan, which should make the process simpler for those who do it for the first time (I haven't tried it yet myself).
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=352447

But of course it's ultimately your decision.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2024, 03:18 PM   #17
PunkyKoopa
Connoisseur
PunkyKoopa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PunkyKoopa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PunkyKoopa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PunkyKoopa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PunkyKoopa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PunkyKoopa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PunkyKoopa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PunkyKoopa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PunkyKoopa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PunkyKoopa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PunkyKoopa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
I use Mac OS so I am out of luck.

Quoting a great user of this forum,

Quote:
The benefit of using these patches is that if you change your mind about what custom values to use in a patch, you won't need to re-upload all your books afterwards. In addition, a patch will also be used in books which were not sideloaded by calibre, e.g. DRM'd books received OTA from the Kobo store or Library books.
That's absolutely correct? That could help me to change my mind.

But it is worth to patch just for two patches?
PunkyKoopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2024, 03:21 PM   #18
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

Sorry, no idea. I don't read any books with DRM (not a library user).

As to whether it's worth it, that depends. There are several posters here who only use a couple of patches; apparently they find it's worth it. (I'm not the right person to answer that question, as I use over 20 patches).
Old 05-20-2024, 03:54 PM   #19
Aleron Ives
Wizard
Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Note that the usefulness of the -0.05 em patch varies depending on your font size. If you or your friend uses a medium to large font size, the patch essentially has no effect, so you don't need to worry about it. It's only useful at small font sizes.
Aleron Ives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2024, 04:14 PM   #20
PunkyKoopa
Connoisseur
PunkyKoopa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PunkyKoopa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PunkyKoopa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PunkyKoopa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PunkyKoopa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PunkyKoopa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PunkyKoopa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PunkyKoopa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PunkyKoopa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PunkyKoopa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PunkyKoopa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

If I patch, will it wipe my device or mess with the settings?

As far as I understand, I won't need to resend my books or reinstall anything at all, right?

The only thing that I will have to worry about is applying patches again when (if ever) a new firmware is released, right?

Last edited by PunkyKoopa; 05-20-2024 at 04:18 PM.
Old 05-20-2024, 04:20 PM   #21
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
If I patch, will it wipe my device or mess with the settings?

As far as I understand, I won't need to resend my books or reinstall anything at all, right?

The only thing that I will have to worry about is applying patches again when (if ever) a new firmware is released, right?
1. No
2. Right
3. Right
Old 05-20-2024, 04:25 PM   #22
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post
Note that the usefulness of the -0.05 em patch varies depending on your font size. If you or your friend uses a medium to large font size, the patch essentially has no effect, so you don't need to worry about it. It's only useful at small font sizes.
I actually had to use -0.07 on my Libra 2, to see noticeable differences. And I use a fairly smallish font size (not a very small one, though).
Old 05-20-2024, 04:40 PM   #23
PunkyKoopa
Connoisseur

Ok, thank you all.

It's a matter of trying but it seems that patching if far more convenient, specially now that firmware updates are a rara avis.
Old 05-20-2024, 05:59 PM   #24
Aleron Ives
Wizard
Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
I actually had to use -0.07 on my Libra 2, to see noticeable differences. And I use a fairly smallish font size (not a very small one, though).
IIRC your font size is around 33% smaller than mine. You get around 30 lines of text per screen, whereas I get around 20. I tried the patch, and although the words did move a few pixels, my font size is too large for the reclaimed white space to allow for an extra word to fit on any lines, so I stopped using that patch due to its insignificant effect on my reading experience. I would need to reduce the font size quite a bit before the patch made any difference to me.
Aleron Ives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2024, 06:07 PM   #25
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Yes, I know, but I think that patching won't be easy for me, let alone my friend.

I could use both Un-Force user text-align in div,p tags in KePubs and the word-spacing patches, but I fear to brick my device.
You can also use the font ChareInk6SP which has a smaller space. It really does make a difference. The URL given is where to download the font. A lot of people on MR use it.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=184056
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2024, 06:10 PM   #26
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I use Mac OS so I am out of luck.

Quoting a great user of this forum,

Yes, it's worth it. Have a look at the patches. You may find you want to enable more of them.
Old 05-20-2024, 06:12 PM   #27
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post
IIRC your font size is around 33% smaller than mine. You get around 30 lines of text per screen, whereas I get around 20. I tried the patch, and although the words did move a few pixels, my font size is too large for the reclaimed white space to allow for an extra word to fit on any lines, so I stopped using that patch due to its insignificant effect on my reading experience. I would need to reduce the font size quite a bit before the patch made any difference to me.
Before using the ChareInk6SP font, I edited the patch to make the spacing even smaller. Now I can leave it as it was originally made.

In your case, you can edit the patch and make the spacing even smaller.
Old 05-20-2024, 08:55 PM   #28
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
At this point in time, I am patching for 1 patch (the Unify Font Sizes patch). The other patches I used to use are now part of the Kobo firmware and so unneeded. Other patches like the line spacing patch is unneeded due my editing ebooks before sending them to my ereaders.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2024, 09:52 PM   #29
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Other patches like the line spacing patch is unneeded due my editing ebooks before sending them to my ereaders.
Personally I find line spacing, margins and font size patches very useful even though I edit my books as well. They give me more suitable values than the default options (narrower line height, smaller top and bottom margins, smaller steps between font sizes) and so much better control over how the text looks. I guess if you find the default values adequate for your needs, you won't need these patches, regardless of your editing the books or not.
Old 05-21-2024, 05:52 AM   #30
PunkyKoopa
Connoisseur

Regarding the Un-Force user text-align in div,p tags in KePubs, will it be necessary to edit the books in order the patch to be effective?