Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 05-18-2024, 10:19 AM   #1
lkmiller
Laura
lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Kobo Elipsa, Nook Glowlight 4 Plus, Kindle Oasis 2
AZW3 or MOBI to EPUB keep TOC

When converting from either AZW3 or MOBI to EPUB, I would like to keep the same menu table of contents. Right now I'm only getting "Start" in the EPUB's toc whereas the AZW3 or MOBI it's converted from has a nice 3 level TOC.
lkmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2024, 10:27 AM   #2
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkmiller View Post
When converting from either AZW3 or MOBI to EPUB, I would like to keep the same menu table of contents. Right now I'm only getting "Start" in the EPUB's toc whereas the AZW3 or MOBI it's converted from has a nice 3 level TOC.
Never had that problem, and I have converted thousands of azw3 files to epub. They all retained their TOC, if they had one.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2024, 10:30 AM   #3
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Certainly converted hundreds of Amazon azw3/mobi to epub2 and never lost/damaged TOC.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2024, 10:34 AM   #4
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
"Start" is a common guide entry rather than a TOC entry.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2024, 11:04 AM   #5
lkmiller
Laura
lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

So is the proper term "guide" for the TOC that's found in an app/device's menu? That is what I'm referring to rather than an inline html TOC.
Old 05-18-2024, 12:45 PM   #6
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
The correct term is ToC. If you look at the ePub with calibre's editor, do you see a toc.ncx file (ePub2 navigation document)?

How are you converting the azw3 documents to ePub? Are you using calibre's convert or are you using KindleUnpack?
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2024, 01:18 PM   #7
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
So is the proper term "guide" for the TOC that's found in an app/device's menu? That is what I'm referring to rather than an inline html TOC.
Yes, this is what I meant as well, a menu TOC, not an inline TOC. If the azw3 had a proper ncx TOC (accessible from the menu), the converted epub will have it as well; I've never seen it lost after conversion.
Old 05-18-2024, 01:20 PM   #8
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
How are you converting the azw3 documents to ePub? Are you using calibre's convert or are you using KindleUnpack?
This should not matter. I use calibre conversion exclusively; it doesn't lose the TOC.
Old 05-18-2024, 02:05 PM   #9
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Calibre will not update a inline TOC that was not properly declared.

I routinely delete those unless that version has way more content than the NCX.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2024, 02:12 PM   #10
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
So is the proper term "guide" for the TOC that's found in an app/device's menu?
No. Guide aka landmarks is another set of links separate from the TOC. It typically contains links to the cover, in text TOC, and initial reading location of the book (called start or text).
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2024, 06:40 PM   #11
lkmiller
Laura

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
The correct term is ToC. If you look at the ePub with calibre's editor, do you see a toc.ncx file (ePub2 navigation document)?
Yes, it just has "start" which links to the cover.

Quote:
I was using calibre's conversion. But you reminded me about KindleUnpack and that did the trick! Now the epub has the same toc as the azw3. Thank you!
Old 05-18-2024, 06:47 PM   #12
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I was using calibre's conversion. But you reminded me about KindleUnpack and that did the trick! Now the epub has the same toc as the azw3. Thank you!
That's really strange. I've never lost a TOC with conversion (yes, I check). I convert to epub2, always; perhaps the issue is with converting to epub3?
Old 05-18-2024, 07:15 PM   #13
lkmiller
Laura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
That's really strange. I've never lost a TOC with conversion (yes, I check). I convert to epub2, always; perhaps the issue is with converting to epub3?
No, I was converting to epub2.