Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 05-11-2023, 09:17 AM   #16
finalgirlfall
finalgirlfall began at the beginning.

Device: Fire HD 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Please do not call it a Kindle Fire. Amazon stopped using the name Kindle with their tablets because there was too much confusion with Kindle Readers both using the name Kindle.

Amazon calls them Fire HD 10 tablet.
i wasn't aware, i'm sorry! i can't edit my previous posts, but i've edited my bio. does that work?
finalgirlfall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2023, 09:43 AM   #17
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by finalgirlfall View Post
i wasn't aware, i'm sorry! i can't edit my previous posts, but i've edited my bio. does that work?
No need to be sorry or apologize for anything.

You're new. Enjoy the site and have fun.

If you ever need any help, an Active Moderator will be happy to assist you.

Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2023, 10:38 AM   #18
finalgirlfall

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
A Rogue A/V is an anti-virus program that thinks what you are doing is dangerous and blocks it. What AV are you using? Also, try turning off your AV and see what works.

Another thing to try is to reboot into safe mode and try there are nothing you run on startup will be running (aka not in the way).
i use microsoft defender. i changed some of the exploit protection settings for calibre specifically and...got precisely the same error as every other time!
Old 05-11-2023, 11:15 AM   #19
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
i use microsoft defender. i changed some of the exploit protection settings for calibre specifically and...got precisely the same error as every other time!
There are many Defender users here. The only exception I added was I excluded the Library folder from the ACTIVE scan (mostly for performance, not because I needed to)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2023, 07:08 PM   #20
finalgirlfall

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
There are many Defender users here. The only exception I added was I excluded the Library folder from the ACTIVE scan (mostly for performance, not because I needed to)
i tried that, and i still got the same error. thank you for the suggestion, though! :-)
Old 05-16-2023, 06:14 AM   #21
Martinoptic
Bibliolater
Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
My fire 7 was initially ignored by calibre - I wonder if your Fire 10 is?
Go to preferences/sharing/ignored devices to see. Hope this helps?
Martinoptic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2023, 08:16 AM   #22
finalgirlfall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinoptic View Post
My fire 7 was initially ignored by calibre - I wonder if your Fire 10 is?
Go to preferences/sharing/ignored devices to see. Hope this helps?
it isn't ignored by calibre--both my PC and Calibre pick it up. (but thank you for the suggestion.)
Old 05-17-2023, 08:21 AM   #23
finalgirlfall

Exclamation

Quote:
hi, so:

i have a kindle fire hd 10, 7th generation. i'm trying to import books (pdf and mobi) to it using calibre's send to device function and a usb cable. i keep getting an "error communicating with the device." i ran cmd.exe > calibre-debug -g and it spat this out:

Code:
calibre 6.17  embedded-python: True
Windows-10-10.0.22621-SP0 Windows ('64bit', 'WindowsPE')
('Windows', '10', '10.0.22621')
Python 3.10.1
Windows: ('10', '10.0.22621', 'SP0', 'Multiprocessor Free')
Interface language: None
Successfully initialized third party plugins: DeDRM (7, 2, 1)
QPA platform: windows
devicePixelRatio: 1.25
logicalDpi: 96.0 x 96.0
physicalDpi: 113.41395348837209 x 113.12164948453608
ApplicationPaletteChange event ignored
Using calibre Qt style: True
ApplicationPaletteChange event received
i've also tried restarting my laptop, and booting it into safe mode, neither of which has helped. advice appreciated!!!

edit: oh! and the "error communicating with device" details say this:

Code:
calibre, version 6.17.0
ERROR: Error: Error communicating with device

C:\r\src\src\calibre\devices\mtp\windows\content_enumeration.cpp:619:Failed to create folder:[hr=0x80004005 wCode=0] Unspecified error

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "calibre\gui2\device.py", line 104, in run
  File "calibre\gui2\device.py", line 636, in _upload_books
  File "calibre\devices\mtp\driver.py", line 433, in upload_books
  File "calibre\devices\mtp\driver.py", line 409, in ensure_parent
  File "calibre\devices\mtp\windows\driver.py", line 35, in check_thread
  File "calibre\devices\mtp\windows\driver.py", line 409, in create_folder
wpd.WPDError: C:\r\src\src\calibre\devices\mtp\windows\content_enumeration.cpp:619:Failed to create folder:[hr=0x80004005 wCode=0] Unspecified error
i don't believe i can edit the initial post at this point, but it's occurred to me that this issue could potentially be linked to my use of Fire Toolbox to "de-Amazon" my Fire HD 10, given that none of you seem to be experiencing it (although maybe we're all using Fire Toolbox, i don't know--). i'll poke around on that developer's forum and let y'all know if i find anything.
Old 05-18-2023, 11:26 AM   #24
finalgirlfall

Talking [RESOLVED] !!!

someone on the Fire Toolbox forum suggested copying the books to my desired folder using file explorer (see here). that worked(!!!), which suggests to me that the issue is not something with my Fire, or Amazon devices in general, but instead--maybe--with the way Calibre as a program sends books to devices. food for thought!

thank you all for trying to help!!! :-)
Old 05-18-2023, 12:17 PM   #25
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
someone on the Fire Toolbox forum suggested copying the books to my desired folder using file explorer (see here). that worked(!!!), which suggests to me that the issue is not something with my Fire, or Amazon devices in general, but instead--maybe--with the way Calibre as a program sends books to devices. food for thought!

thank you all for trying to help!!! :-)
Nope! You are not the only Fire user that also uses Calibre. (there are MILLIONS of Calibre users and some of them have Fires) Only a few have issues, which suggests those (and You) have a combination of other things in play.

Many years ago, My Astak EZReader hated Intel USB2 enhanced driver. I could disable that mode or, as I did, installed a USB 1.0 card (so I could keep the performance on USB2 for other stuff).
Tracking it down was fun , I happened to try on a friends system (demonstrating the issue) and it did not fault , turns out, theirs did not use Intel (I had 3 computers I tried with this issue. All were Intel USB )
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2023, 12:51 PM   #26
finalgirlfall

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Nope! You are not the only Fire user that also uses Calibre. (there are MILLIONS of Calibre users and some of them have Fires) Only a few have issues, which suggests those (and You) have a combination of other things in play.

Many years ago, My Astak EZReader hated Intel USB2 enhanced driver. I could disable that mode or, as I did, installed a USB 1.0 card (so I could keep the performance on USB2 for other stuff).
Tracking it down was fun , I happened to try on a friends system (demonstrating the issue) and it did not fault , turns out, theirs did not use Intel (I had 3 computers I tried with this issue. All were Intel USB )
taking notes...!! perhaps someday i will figure it out. :-)
Old 02-08-2024, 01:38 PM   #27
James M
James M began at the beginning.

Device: Samsung Tablet S6 lite
Smile Problem communicating was due to shared USB hub

I was having problems with Calibre communicating. It would find the books om the device ok, but when I went to copy a book to the device it came up with the "Error communicating...". I tried various changes, but nothing worked,

I then opened device manager, and saw my tablet under "Portable Devices". I then went to View > Devices by connection. I saw that my tablet and my Wi-Fi adapter were linked to the same USB hub. So I moved the cable to a different USB port, and this time, in Device Manager, it was on its own on its USB hub, and this time, everything worked perfectly.

I hope this method might be of use to others.
James M is offline   Reply With Quote