Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 10-29-2023, 04:44 AM   #106
aldur
aldur began at the beginning.

Device: Paperwhite
Success on Kindle PaperWhite 5 Signature Edition (2021) (KPW5SE) on firmware 5.14.3.0.1. Thank you!
aldur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2023, 05:32 AM   #107
Shadow128
Shadow128 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Hi there

sorry for interrupting again
Yesterday I didn't get KUAL started, so I did a complete reset on my Kindle (PW5 11th Generation), which means soft reset to factory settings and started the update of the firmware file - everythings is fine.

Today I did again the jailbreak like the tutorial, but there were some differences to the manual.

Until Step 9 no problem. Step 10 is no problem to copy the files, but there are no previous files (so no merge/replace). But in my mind it is maybe firmware/Device depending?
Step 19 is also ok, I got some messages which ends with "Finished installing jailbreak"

After that the device reboots and I'm back in the Wifi settings for the demo mode with chinese language.
Did all the steps like step 3-6, but then a message is poping up

"Collecting Debug Info - Generating Core Dump file for process KPPMainAppV2. This might take a little more than a minute. See https://wiki.corp.lab126.com/.... for INstructions on filling a JIRA."
Afterwards I'm back in the demo screen where I could do the secret gesture.

Is this normal? Or is there a failure until these steps?
Shadow128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2023, 05:34 AM   #108
Marek
Zealot
Marek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4 :(, KT5, PB628, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow128 View Post
Hi there

sorry for interrupting again
Yesterday I didn't get KUAL started, so I did a complete reset on my Kindle (PW5 11th Generation), which means soft reset to factory settings and started the update of the firmware file - everythings is fine.

Today I did again the jailbreak like the tutorial, but there were some differences to the manual.

Until Step 9 no problem. Step 10 is no problem to copy the files, but there are no previous files (so no merge/replace). But in my mind it is maybe firmware/Device depending?
Step 19 is also ok, I got some messages which ends with "Finished installing jailbreak"

After that the device reboots and I'm back in the Wifi settings for the demo mode with chinese language.
Did all the steps like step 3-6, but then a message is poping up

"Collecting Debug Info - Generating Core Dump file for process KPPMainAppV2. This might take a little more than a minute. See https://wiki.corp.lab126.com/.... for INstructions on filling a JIRA."
Afterwards I'm back in the demo screen where I could do the secret gesture.

Is this normal? Or is there a failure until these steps?
You should be fine just sideload the hotfix
Marek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2023, 07:52 AM   #109
ayuand
ayuand began at the beginning.

Device: pw 5
Smile total noob

can someone make a tutorial video, please
ayuand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2023, 10:47 AM   #110
m4mmon
Enthusiast
m4mmon is my name, but call me Ishmael.m4mmon is my name, but call me Ishmael.m4mmon is my name, but call me Ishmael.m4mmon is my name, but call me Ishmael.m4mmon is my name, but call me Ishmael.m4mmon is my name, but call me Ishmael.m4mmon is my name, but call me Ishmael.m4mmon is my name, but call me Ishmael.m4mmon is my name, but call me Ishmael.m4mmon is my name, but call me Ishmael.m4mmon is my name, but call me Ishmael.

Device: PB631, PB741, PB840
Hi,
And thank you for all that work
I have a couple questions. I have a "brand new" kindle 11th gen running 5.15.1, and if I perfectly understand what I have to do while reading the posts, questions and replies, still I am not familiar at all with this device and its software, and fear to ruin something.

1.1/ If I understand well, the best would be to upgrade it to 5.16.2.1 before attempting the jailbreak, right?
1.2/ What about 5.16.2.1.1 ?
That I can do, thanks to the links templates posted in #1.

For now, the device is like out of its box, not connected to an amazon account.
I don't want to connect it to the wifi to prevent updates.
2/ But, if after the JB I want to connect it to the amazon account, what should I do to prevent a firmware update?
Sorry if it is a stupid question answered thousand times in other threads.
I had a look in other places, but the information I got looked outdated to me. Once again, I don't want to ruin it, just got it running normal, having access to the amazon library while being root on it.

Thanks again to the team!

Last edited by m4mmon; 10-29-2023 at 10:50 AM.
m4mmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2023, 11:37 AM   #111
Marek
Zealot
Marek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by m4mmon View Post
Hi,
And thank you for all that work
I have a couple questions. I have a "brand new" kindle 11th gen running 5.15.1, and if I perfectly understand what I have to do while reading the posts, questions and replies, still I am not familiar at all with this device and its software, and fear to ruin something.

1.1/ If I understand well, the best would be to upgrade it to 5.16.2.1 before attempting the jailbreak, right?
1.2/ What about 5.16.2.1.1 ?
That I can do, thanks to the links templates posted in #1.

For now, the device is like out of its box, not connected to an amazon account.
I don't want to connect it to the wifi to prevent updates.
2/ But, if after the JB I want to connect it to the amazon account, what should I do to prevent a firmware update?
Sorry if it is a stupid question answered thousand times in other threads.
I had a look in other places, but the information I got looked outdated to me. Once again, I don't want to ruin it, just got it running normal, having access to the amazon library while being root on it.

Thanks again to the team!
1.1/ you do not need to update, try the jailbreak and see if it works - if you can't get it to work then do update to 5.16.2.1 or 5.16.2.1.1 - make sure the ota is for your kindle
1.2/ yes this version is also fine

2/ Well i recommend registering your kindle after updating most things work better with it, for preventing ota there's renameota kual extension - and the jailbreak does survive updates (even tho things seem quite broken overall - mrpi didnt seem to work at all) - i unintentionally already tried that (thanks amazon..), - and there are ways to downgrade too - which i did.
Old 10-29-2023, 11:47 AM   #112
ayuand
ayuand began at the beginning.

Device: pw 5
Unhappy jb done, how to proceed further

it took some time but i installed jb on my kindle pw 5 ( 5.16.2.1.1)

but the steps to install koreader is very confusing, what are the files that i need to copy and install. please help with giving steps.
ayuand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2023, 11:55 AM   #113
m4mmon
Enthusiast
m4mmon is my name, but call me Ishmael.m4mmon is my name, but call me Ishmael.m4mmon is my name, but call me Ishmael.m4mmon is my name, but call me Ishmael.m4mmon is my name, but call me Ishmael.m4mmon is my name, but call me Ishmael.m4mmon is my name, but call me Ishmael.m4mmon is my name, but call me Ishmael.m4mmon is my name, but call me Ishmael.m4mmon is my name, but call me Ishmael.m4mmon is my name, but call me Ishmael.

Device: PB631, PB741, PB840
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marek View Post
1.1/ you do not need to update, try the jailbreak and see if it works - if you can't get it to work then do update to 5.16.2.1 or 5.16.2.1.1 - make sure the ota is for your kindle
1.2/ yes this version is also fine

2/ Well i recommend registering your kindle after updating most things work better with it, for preventing ota there's renameota kual extension - and the jailbreak does survive updates (even tho things seem quite broken overall - mrpi didnt seem to work at all) - i unintentionally already tried that (thanks amazon..), - and there are ways to downgrade too - which i did.
Great, and very clear, thank you
m4mmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2023, 12:03 PM   #114
trincheta
trincheta began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 7th Gen
Hi Marek! Thank you very much for your help and effort on this jailbreak.
I am new to Kindle, not to mention how to jailbreak them. I got this Paperwhite 3 WiFi with 5.16.2.1.1 and I can't seem to get the jailbreak working.
I got to the Pseudot language selection, then the Kindle was in Chinese. I got to sideload the update_hotfix_languagebreak.bin and it applied correctly. The device rebooted into Chinese again but at least I had the mkk folder when plugging USB, so everything was there I guess. Except that I wasn't able to change the language! Google lens said it was the "Device is managed" error.
Anyways, I went further and tried to install KUAL/MRPI with this instructions: https://kindlemodding.gitbook.io/kin...ling-kual-mrpi

And I get some errors saying that it couldn't remount rootfs as RO with a "-_-" emoji... I guess that's not good since I don't see anything in the Library tab, I should see Kual there, right?

Edit: I tried to reinstall 5.16.2.1.1, erase everything and start over again two or three times and this is the most I got. I can provide some photos of the process if that would help.
trincheta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2023, 12:17 PM   #115
ash2017
ash2017 possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeash2017 possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeash2017 possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeash2017 possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeash2017 possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeash2017 possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeash2017 possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeash2017 possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeash2017 possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeash2017 possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeash2017 possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Time

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Thank you so much Marek. Works like a charm!
The solution you provided is exceptionally effective and functions flawlessly.

Last edited by ash2017; 10-30-2023 at 06:36 AM.
ash2017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2023, 12:47 PM   #116
Marek
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by trincheta View Post
Hi Marek! Thank you very much for your help and effort on this jailbreak.
I am new to Kindle, not to mention how to jailbreak them. I got this Paperwhite 3 WiFi with 5.16.2.1.1 and I can't seem to get the jailbreak working.
I got to the Pseudot language selection, then the Kindle was in Chinese. I got to sideload the update_hotfix_languagebreak.bin and it applied correctly. The device rebooted into Chinese again but at least I had the mkk folder when plugging USB, so everything was there I guess. Except that I wasn't able to change the language! Google lens said it was the "Device is managed" error.
Anyways, I went further and tried to install KUAL/MRPI with this instructions: https://kindlemodding.gitbook.io/kin...ling-kual-mrpi

And I get some errors saying that it couldn't remount rootfs as RO with a "-_-" emoji... I guess that's not good since I don't see anything in the Library tab, I should see Kual there, right?

Edit: I tried to reinstall 5.16.2.1.1, erase everything and start over again two or three times and this is the most I got. I can provide some photos of the process if that would help.
Do ;demo and press the right button
Old 10-29-2023, 01:58 PM   #117
mergen3107
Wizard
mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marek View Post
i unintentionally already tried that (thanks amazon..)
Marek, did this update happen when you had renameotabin enabled or not? I am just figuring out whether Amazon figured out renameotabin and made backup OTA update mechanisms…
mergen3107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2023, 02:07 PM   #118
Marek
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by mergen3107 View Post
Marek, did this update happen when you had renameotabin enabled or not? I am just figuring out whether Amazon figured out renameotabin and made backup OTA update mechanisms…
Nope hadn't had renameotabin on i was testing hotfix changes and left the kindles wifi on
Old 10-29-2023, 02:11 PM   #119
mergen3107
Wizard
mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe
Thank you Marek!
mergen3107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2023, 02:41 PM   #120
reminon
Enthusiast
reminon can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterreminon can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterreminon can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterreminon can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterreminon can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterreminon can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterreminon can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterreminon can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterreminon can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterreminon can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterreminon can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Kindle Scribe.
renameotabin works fine. I have had wifi on for 2 days now.

Scribe users: make sure you are using the latest hotfix from the release. Some of the scribe device id's were not implemented into the original 2 releases. This would cause ;log mrpi to just search the term instead of running mrpi.
reminon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jailbreak, jailbreak 5.16..2.1.1, languagebreak