Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-22-2023, 06:07 AM   #1
Kridsk
Kridsk began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 11th gen
How are ebooks saved on kindle readers?

Connecting my Kindle PW (11th gen) to my computer, I notice that .KFX-files (or AZW or whatever) are put in G:\documents\Downloads\Items01 when eBooks are transferred to the Kindle? I suspect that these files are the actual books?

In addition, an "same name as the book.SDR" folder is created for each books (e.g. "G:\documents\Downloads\Items01\The Fifth Kind_ Arrival (Dark Nova Series Book 1)_B0C85JD2NR.sdr"), which contain an assets-folder, a data folder, and some .Meta/.ASC/.KLL/.PHL/.YJR-files. The .SDR-folders are larger than the .KFX/.AZW-files. What is the purpose of the files in the SDR-folders?

Can I change the name and the location of the files and folders on the kindle?

Kind regards
Kridsk
Kridsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2023, 08:33 AM   #2
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kridsk View Post
Connecting my Kindle PW (11th gen) to my computer, I notice that .KFX-files (or AZW or whatever) are put in G:\documents\Downloads\Items01 when eBooks are transferred to the Kindle?
The arrangement of files on Kindle devices has changed over time and depends on the model and firmware version. Recent firmware places downloaded books in the Items01 folder.

Quote:
What is the purpose of the files in the SDR-folders?
For each book there is one main file and an associated .sdr folder with the same name.

The main file holds some or all of the content of the book.

Some additional book content may be in the .sdr folder. The .sdr folder also holds a variety of additional data such as pop-ups that appear at the start and end of a book, page number data, X-ray content, current reading position, annotations, and bookmarks.

Quote:
Can I change the name and the location of the files and folders on the kindle?
While the Kindle firmware is somewhat tolerant of changes made in the Documents folder, renaming or moving those files has the potential to cause problems.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
folder structure, kindle