Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 06-28-2023, 12:20 AM   #1
croonable
Enthusiast
croonable walks where angels fear to fly.croonable walks where angels fear to fly.croonable walks where angels fear to fly.croonable walks where angels fear to fly.croonable walks where angels fear to fly.croonable walks where angels fear to fly.croonable walks where angels fear to fly.croonable walks where angels fear to fly.croonable walks where angels fear to fly.croonable walks where angels fear to fly.croonable walks where angels fear to fly.

Device: none
How do I remove or deleted images from EPUB?

Hello.
I was wondering:
How do I remove or deleted images from EPUB books on calibre?

Is there a plugin or something I can use to remove or deleted images from EPUB format?
croonable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2023, 12:24 AM   #2
Karellen
Wizard
Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
You need to edit the epub.

Click "Edit Book" in Calibre
In the left panel you will see the "Images" section.
Double click on an image to open it and check it is the image to be deleted.
Press Delete on your keyboard.

But you will also need to delete the image code where it is used in the book.

Last edited by Karellen; 06-28-2023 at 12:52 AM.
Karellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2023, 12:52 AM   #3
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The Book editor Reports Tool can list images and usage (Times used), sort on Times used and delete those with a value of zero.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2023, 07:04 AM   #4
capink
Wizard
capink ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.capink ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.capink ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.capink ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.capink ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.capink ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.capink ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.capink ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.capink ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.capink ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.capink ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
You need a combination of two plugins:
To remove images from epub files in mass:
  • In Editor Chains plugin, you create a chain (call it Remove Images) that contains "Remove Files" action. You can configure this action to delete files by extension (it support regex filters), so if you want to delete images you can put the following in the action configuration:
    Code:
    .+\.jpe?g$, .+\.png$
    You can add any other image extensions you want.
  • The previous step will enable you to delete images by invoking the chain from calibre editor to delete all images in a single epub. If you want to delete from multiple epubs, you have to use Action Chains plugin: Create a chain (call it Batch Remove Images) that contains a "Run Editor Chain" action. In the action's configuration, choose the editor chain you created in the step above. Now you can select multiple books in your calibre library, and delete all images from them by calling the "Batch Remove Images" chain.

Edit:
  • The Action Chains plugin gives you the option to backup the files before it runs the chain. I highly recommend doing this, because you might not like the end result.
  • The steps above will only remove the images from the epub files, it will not remove the code that references them. If you want to do that, there are other actions within the Editor Chains you can add to your chain to achieve this.

Last edited by capink; 06-28-2023 at 07:25 AM.
capink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2023, 07:34 AM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by croonable View Post
Hello.
I was wondering:
How do I remove or deleted images from EPUB books on calibre?

Is there a plugin or something I can use to remove or deleted images from EPUB format?
Why do you want to delete images from ePub?
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2023, 09:36 AM   #6
croonable
Enthusiast
croonable walks where angels fear to fly.croonable walks where angels fear to fly.croonable walks where angels fear to fly.croonable walks where angels fear to fly.croonable walks where angels fear to fly.croonable walks where angels fear to fly.croonable walks where angels fear to fly.croonable walks where angels fear to fly.croonable walks where angels fear to fly.croonable walks where angels fear to fly.croonable walks where angels fear to fly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Why do you want to delete images from ePub?
I loved reading fanfic stories but there are certain epubs that have a huge size file.

I want to remove those fanfic images that are basically chapter covers or like fancast images for each character that is introduced.

each image dimension is like 1980 x 2520 px.
the images tends to make the fic size like 16.5.
When the size really like 5.0 or 0.3.

Thank you everyone for helping me.
I knew there were ways to remove images from ePub.
croonable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2023, 10:04 AM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
I loved reading fanfic stories but there are certain epubs that have a huge size file.

I want to remove those fanfic images that are basically chapter covers or like fancast images for each character that is introduced.

The editor in Calibre has an Image resize tool. (Select image, then use the tool)
BUT
You can also Use the Page setup option on the Conversion screen to select an output profile for a device with a lower image size (hover over the device name and it shows the size to the Right)
Doing it HERE only effects that conversion. Preferences/welcome Wizard applies as a default
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2023, 01:48 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:

There's a better way then removing the images. Try it and let us know what you think.

Here's what I do. In the calibre editor.

I reduce the size of each large image to 1600 lines. You do this by double clicking the image and on the toolbar above the image click the blue box. Change the number of lines to 1600.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Lossy.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	70.8 KB
ID:	202343

Then when that's done, go to Tools > Compress images losslessly, check Enable lossy compression of JPEG images and set the value to 70.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Resize.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	270.1 KB
ID:	202345

When done, you have smaller images by size and resolution and I don't think you'd notice the difference.

Just going by the cover...
Before
cover.jpg - 2,330,248
After
cover.jpg - 162,427

Last edited by JSWolf; 06-28-2023 at 01:53 PM.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
deleted, epub, images, remove