Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 02-14-2014, 10:08 PM   #16
yauchildchew
yauchildchew began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobo88 View Post
Hello,

Thanks now its works complete
You are the best
The copy from offset 0x80000 was the solution

On your Homepage you write that you make a working ubuntu for Kobo?
Can we make it too? Replace the Debian Folder and add a Ubuntu?

or is it something more complicated?

maybe, can you help again ?

Edit:

In your Image with Kobo Firmware and Debian i have a question.
How we can Update to the newest Kobo Firmware 3.0.1 without Delete the Bootscreen to boot Kobo or Debian?

Thanks
Hi, I have the wake up problem too.
Can you please tell me how much, from where to where I should copy the codes? I know I should start from Offset 0x80000 but where is the end? I dont understand how 40bytes is in this case.

Thank you in advance.

By the way, as I am using the device now, I wonder if there is a short-cut way to do it, maybe like editing some system files, instead of going all over for the installation again?
yauchildchew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 01:34 AM   #17
yauchildchew
yauchildchew began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarekGibek View Post
Perfect!! I'm really glad!!

Yes. It is that easy as you say. You need to use Ubuntu for ARM of course. Both armel and armhf version works. You can just remove content and unpack Ubuntu root filesystem to that folder.

The real work is with configuring X11 to be useful on touch device. But you can install the same window manager (awesome) and copy my configuration from debian to ubuntu. You may still have problem with touch as I started implementing my own X11 multi-touch driver (not completed - only supports single touch). You can replace it with standard evdev driver in x11 config file.

So it will run fine but you will spend plenty of time with configuration. It's a Linux

Switch from armel version (v2.6) to armhf version (v2.8 or later) is very complicated (repartitioning, recompiling python, replacing boot menu).

I have such image ready with 2.8.1. I can upload it somewhere. Starting from 2.8.1 upgrading to 3.0.1 should be as easy as manually copying new files from update archive.

[EDIT]
https://www.dropbox.com/s/z2iaieegv4...arek.part1.rar
https://www.dropbox.com/s/isn6ufl7oy...arek.part2.rar
after several trials, i still failed.
i have a Kobo Touch image (with my data) and the hex numbers from Offset 00080000 to 000800A0 are all zeros. I tried to replace Kobo Android image with these zeroes, also, only replacing the whole Offset 00080000 row, while keeping 00080017 value as 00 instead of 08 because my version is N950B. However, the sleep problem wasnt solved.

please help. thank you.
yauchildchew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 06:12 AM   #18
cimh
cimh began at the beginning.

Device: kobo touch
wake from sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobo88 View Post
Hello,

Thanks now its works complete
You are the best
The copy from offset 0x80000 was the solution
I know this is an old thread but it is working for me. I must have the same kobo touch as you because my screen was unresponsive with android and fixed with Mareks advice about changing the relevent bit in the image.

Like you mine doesn't wake up from sleep so I am thinking about fixing that with the copy from offset 0x80000 but It would be easier and safer if you were able to post a copy of your corrected image for our version of the touch?

cimh
Thanks to MarekGibek.
This is an excellent rom I was getting frustrated with screen freezes when reading with the kobo firmware no such problems with android so far.
cimh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 01:44 AM   #19
stupidtss
stupidtss began at the beginning.

Device: onyx boox m92
Hi all,
I am considering to buy a second hand Kobo Touch 905B and use it as a general Android tablet and I have two questions regarding installing Android on Kobo Touch 905B.
1) Does the Android image have Google Play Store included?
2) (for 905B) Can I use it with a Bluetooth or OTG USB keyboard?
Thanks a lot!
stupidtss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 01:46 AM   #20
stupidtss
stupidtss began at the beginning.

Device: onyx boox m92
Forgot to ask one more question:
3) Will WiFi be OK for Kobo Touch 905B with Android?
Thanks again.
stupidtss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 08:17 AM   #21
philassheton
philassheton began at the beginning.

Yes the copy from 0x80000 worked for me too! There's a block of just over forty bytes starting at 0x80000 (hex address) that is surrounded by zeroes. Just had to copy that across. But, weirdly I had to hack the 0x80017 value back from 05 to 00 to make it work (otherwise, it just wouldn't boot). I don't really understand how this stuff works, but still seems weird to me that it would be 05 in the Kobo img when it should be 00... Unless I was doing something else stupid! Like I say, total noob, but thought that might help a few people...

This is an amazing setup, it's so much better optimized for the e-ink than was the original Kobo rom! Very grateful...
philassheton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 01:05 PM   #22
MarekGibek
Zealot
MarekGibek is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.MarekGibek is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.MarekGibek is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.MarekGibek is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.MarekGibek is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.MarekGibek is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.MarekGibek is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.MarekGibek is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.MarekGibek is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.MarekGibek is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.MarekGibek is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.

Device: Kobo Touch N905C
Quote:
1) Does the Android image have Google Play Store included?
Yes. But not all apps are visible (because of device id?). It's better to download app with apk downloader page and install it manually.

Quote:
2) (for 905B) Can I use it with a Bluetooth or OTG USB keyboard?
No. I haven't heard of anyone succeeded. There is RS232 on PCB motherboard confirmed to work with GPS. So if you are electronics engineer you can try RS232 keyboard ;P If you are software developer you can try to connect through wifi

Quote:
Will WiFi be OK for Kobo Touch 905B with Android?
Thanks a lot!
Yes!
MarekGibek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 04:19 AM   #23
koshari
koshari began at the beginning.

Device: kobo touch model b
Quote:
Originally Posted by philassheton View Post
Yes the copy from 0x80000 worked for me too! There's a block of just over forty bytes starting at 0x80000 (hex address) that is surrounded by zeroes. Just had to copy that across. But, weirdly I had to hack the 0x80017 value back from 05 to 00 to make it work (otherwise, it just wouldn't boot). I don't really understand how this stuff works, but still seems weird to me that it would be 05 in the Kobo img when it should be 00... Unless I was doing something else stupid! Like I say, total noob, but thought that might help a few people...

This is an amazing setup, it's so much better optimized for the e-ink than was the original Kobo rom! Very grateful...
same same here with a b model.

the thing about binaries is that you really need to check the assembly language of the processor and then you can determine if a byte is an opcode or data or even a stack pointer, so the 05 or 00 really needs to be taken related to the adjacent data.

here are my complete 3 lines of code from 80000 to 8002f

Quote:
48 57 20 43 4F 4E 46 49 47 20 76 30 2E 37 00 1D 0C 04 01 00 06 00 00 00 04 04 06 00 00 09 00 00 02 00 01 02 02 01 68 02 E4 00 00 02 01 00 00 00

Last edited by koshari; 09-10-2014 at 04:22 AM.
koshari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2023, 03:57 PM   #24
Throw
Throw began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch N905C
My kobo has been stuck on the android logo?
Throw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2023, 11:51 PM   #25
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Considering the last post prior to yours was dated from 2010-Sep-10, the chances of getting a reply here is pretty minimal.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote