Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Viewer

Notices

Old 03-08-2023, 05:54 PM   #1
HogDrvr
Connoisseur
HogDrvr began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Mac Context Menu

Is there a way to manually add Calibre Viewer to the Mac OS context menu? It automatically shows for ePub and azw3 files but all my files are in Kepub and Kfx formats. The viewer opens them fine if I launch Calibre and then select View, so I know the formats are compatible. I can't add it using Mac's "always open with" option as the viewer is embedded in the Calibre program and not visible.
HogDrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2023, 06:05 PM   #2
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
See Starting the E-book viewer

Hopefully that will give you a clue.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 03-08-2023 at 06:08 PM.
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2023, 06:06 PM   #3
HogDrvr
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
See Starting the E-book viewer

Hopefully that will give you a clue.

BR
Nope, I saw that but it doesn't answer my question. That shows how to open the viewer but not how to add to context menu.
Old 03-08-2023, 06:09 PM   #4
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I know it's doable because I've used it, but it was set up by the Mac owner.

BR
Old 03-08-2023, 10:33 PM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
yeah its visible it is a sub-app inside the calibre.app folder. Navigate inside it and you will find it.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2023, 09:13 AM   #6
HogDrvr
Connoisseur

Except Mac's Open With menu can't peek inside of apps.
Old 03-09-2023, 09:31 AM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Well then, I'am afraid you have to be content with only doing what Apple wants you to do. Which is not use sub-apps. They know better than you what you should be doing. It's the Apple Way
Old 03-09-2023, 09:37 AM   #8
HogDrvr
Connoisseur

Yeah, I figured as much. I was just hoping as the context menu entry is there for epub and azw3, just not kepub and kfx.

Thanks anyways
Old 03-09-2023, 10:26 AM   #9
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

its there because epub and azw3 are known filetypes that calibre can handle (it has builtin plugins for them). kepub and kfx are from third party plugins. Since on macOS the list of filetypes an application can handle is not dynamic (it comes from Info.plist in the application bundle) filetypes introduced by third party plugins cant be registered with the system.
Old 03-09-2023, 03:47 PM   #10
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
I know it's doable because I've used it…
…for well-known file types like .c++, .h etc.

BR
Old 05-23-2023, 07:41 AM   #11
arpeggioaccele
light mode user
arpeggioaccele exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverarpeggioaccele exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverarpeggioaccele exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverarpeggioaccele exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverarpeggioaccele exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverarpeggioaccele exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverarpeggioaccele exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverarpeggioaccele exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverarpeggioaccele exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverarpeggioaccele exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverarpeggioaccele exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: I use the Calibre ebook-viewer on macos and Apple Books on ios.
maybe try this?

1. Go to applications, find calibre
2. right click, show package contents
3. go into Contents
4. copy and paste the ebook-viewer into Applications (i assume if its missing from there it will cause problems, it's only 50MB anyways)
5. do open with, other, enable all applications, select ebook-viewer, always open with

i don't have the file type that you were looking for but it seemed to work for a .png file

the only problem is that in macos opening a file like that steals the current ebook window, it doesn't create a new window which i find annoying so i always open from calibre lol
arpeggioaccele is offline   Reply With Quote