Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-29-2022, 08:49 PM   #121
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
He uses "probably" then asks "why is Amazon doing this?" "Probably" becomes a matter of fact, based on...? (Oh, he talked to "someone.")
If he keeps that level of journalism up, he could become a writer on Ancient Aliens. Every episode I've seen starts with a possibly which becomes a fact.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2022, 10:15 PM   #122
talaivan
Groupie
talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony prs-505
Would love an Elipsa with 300 DPI and ability to yellow the lighting as you can on the Sage. For those of us whose vision is not good, a 10" ereader is extremely helpful. The present Elipsa works well, but it could easily be improved with greater resolution and adjustable lighting color. The Kindle Scribe has what I'm looking for, but its software seems to be hopeless, so I'll stick with the Elipsa and hope at some point that an improved version (which may not be called Elipsa) comes out.

Last edited by talaivan; 12-29-2022 at 10:22 PM.
talaivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2022, 11:02 PM   #123
tschucha
Zealot
tschucha reads XML... blindfoldedtschucha reads XML... blindfoldedtschucha reads XML... blindfoldedtschucha reads XML... blindfoldedtschucha reads XML... blindfoldedtschucha reads XML... blindfoldedtschucha reads XML... blindfoldedtschucha reads XML... blindfoldedtschucha reads XML... blindfoldedtschucha reads XML... blindfoldedtschucha reads XML... blindfolded

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by talaivan View Post
Would love an Elipsa with 300 DPI and ability to yellow the lighting as you can on the Sage. For those of us whose vision is not good, a 10" ereader is extremely helpful. The present Elipsa works well, but it could easily be improved with greater resolution and adjustable lighting color. The Kindle Scribe has what I'm looking for, but its software seems to be hopeless, so I'll stick with the Elipsa and hope at some point that an improved version (which may not be called Elipsa) comes out.
That is exactly the way I feel. The Kindle Scribe checks all of the boxes on my list but the Kindle user interface is very poor when compared to Kobo's. I'll wait till the end of 2023 to see what Kobo comes up with and what if anything Amazon does to improve the UI of the Scribe but I sure hope that Kobo gets 10 inch 300 DPI e-reader released this year. I really don't want to get a kindle branded device even if it does have all of the right features.
tschucha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2022, 03:39 AM   #124
chrisridd
Guru
chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Kobo Aura ONE, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Just more click bait to keep people coming to his site(s).
You could almost say they're master baiters.
chrisridd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2023, 07:27 AM   #125
Geared
Geared can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Geared can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Geared can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Geared can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Geared can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Geared can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Geared can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Geared can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Geared can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Geared can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Geared can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Unboxing of Rakuten kobo Elipsa 2E
https://www.facebook.com/10008408867...5255204927587/
Geared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2023, 08:20 AM   #126
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geared View Post
Thanks for posting this. You may get more views if you create a new thread for it.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2023, 08:31 AM   #127
chrisridd
Guru
chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Kobo Aura ONE, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
A couple of surprising things about the video.

1. It looks very finished, several months before the expected release date. I don't recall if that's normal for Kobo.

2. It doesn't look like much of an upgrade over the Elipsa. Exactly the same screen with the same 227dpi resolution. Comfort Light PRO vs Comfort Light. Newer stylus (yawn).

I wonder if there's another device which is using the 10.3" Carta HD screen? ("HD" seems to be E Ink marketing speak for 300dpi)
chrisridd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2023, 11:32 AM   #128
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Yes, it's still a 227DPI screen.

Last edited by JSWolf; 03-26-2023 at 12:11 PM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2023, 10:33 PM   #129
christianbk
Connoisseur
christianbk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.christianbk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.christianbk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.christianbk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.christianbk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.christianbk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.christianbk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.christianbk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.christianbk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.christianbk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.christianbk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: At least one of each brand
Elipsa 2e thoughts from someone who uses a reMarkable daily as well as owning an Elipsa first gen:

The small little upgrades are not worthwhile. Why? Because the software side absolutely stinks. No way of creating folders (still!), exporting hangs at loading often, the Advanced notebook is noticeably laggy.

I do like the pen update. I don’t like how it’s rechargeable, though I suppose it’s better than the AAAA battery that people complain about. Looks longer which is nice. Would have to see if it still has the clacking of the first gen pen. I also like the textured back but which is welcome. And of course the ComfortLight Pro.

But if you can’t update the simply things in your note taking software side, why bother?
christianbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2023, 06:56 AM   #130
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
No lag on my Advanced Notebooks on Elipsa.

I had a reMarkable as well as Elipsa till recently.

Rechargeable is worse than an AAAA cell. Some people have an unreasonable aversion to batteries. The battery (a cell) is very long life and very cheap. A spare will have 10 year shelf life.

Why do you want to create folders on the Elipsa? Is it to organise notebooks more than Alphabetical? I export Advanced notebooks as docx or plain text depending on content.

The reMarkable has a filemanager because it rubbish at library management. Also even with recent FW update the reMarkable (like Scribe) has no native writing to text conversion.

I thought of upgrading from an Elipsa to a Kindle Scribe, but apart from the 300 dpi vs 227 dpi it seems inferior.

I do think the Sage is better for notes and reading epubs (I annotate with touch keyboard) and only use the Elipsa now for proof of layout/format of PDFS and PDFs were the text is too small for me on the Sage.

Certainly the "Elipsa 2E" seems to be for new customers, not people that already have an Elipsa. See also "Libra 2" vs original Libra. It's pointless if you have an Elipsa.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2023, 08:52 AM   #131
kandwo
Addict
kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3
227 PPI is a dealbreaker. I would have prefered it to also have page turn buttons. But I'm not going back to anything less than 300 PPI.

I guess I'll have to hope that Onyx Boox offers some 10" 300 PPI towards the end of the year.
kandwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2023, 09:03 AM   #132
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by kandwo View Post
227 PPI is a dealbreaker. I would have prefered it to also have page turn buttons. But I'm not going back to anything less than 300 PPI.

I guess I'll have to hope that Onyx Boox offers some 10" 300 PPI towards the end of the year.
Unless I was imagining it, I think I read in a thread here that Amazon somehow got the exclusive right to use that 300 dpi, 10.3" screen until the end of the year. Someone will correct me if I'm misremembering.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2023, 09:22 AM   #133
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Unless I was imagining it, I think I read in a thread here that Amazon somehow got the exclusive right to use that 300 dpi, 10.3" screen until the end of the year. Someone will correct me if I'm misremembering.
I also read that here somewhere and wondered about it. It is likely a secret agreement if true.

Edit:
Perhaps Amazon simply bought all the projected production in advance, or contracted to buy it as available.

Last edited by Quoth; 03-27-2023 at 09:50 AM.
Old 03-27-2023, 12:32 PM   #134
Cactus Chef
Addict
Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Kobo Clara HD, Galaxy Tab S5e, Kindle 4th Gen
Quote:
Competition scares them that much, huh?
Cactus Chef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2023, 02:22 PM   #135
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cactus Chef View Post
Competition scares them that much, huh?
No, they bought the biggest seller of ebooks in 2005, Mobipocket.

TBH, I was a little sceptical of the claim. Apart from the 10.2″ 300 dpi screen the Kindles have always been behind, but they have over 90% of English Language ebook market worldwide and about 80%+ of US online printed book sales. The Fire tablet and Fire TV Sets are just cheap customised versions of Android Tablet and TVs with Android TV (which is a ghastly UI for TVs). So it would be a first really, but not impossible.

They are a Data Centre Hosting and Mail Order company, not really a Tech company.