Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-30-2022, 08:37 AM   #31
NullNix
Guru
NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Oasis 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Send to Kindle or email to Kindle do not support KF8/azw3 format. If you take a look at Learn About Sending Documents to Your Kindle Library, you won't find it on the list of supported formats. If you send an epub/docx/rtf/html, it will be converted to KF8/azw3 if the device it's sent to supports that format, for devices that don't support KF8/azw3, you will get a mobi format ebook.
Yes, but what they do support is 'dual MOBI', which is a file that contains both MOBI and AZW3 (so, as usual, JSWolf's conspiracy-theorizing is wrong and AZW3 works perfectly well if you do it right). They do this so that both old Kindles with no AZW3 support and new ones both get the format they prefer. The dual form is never sent to the Kindle but is always stripped down to the one format that particular Kindle would prefer. Calibre has long supported this.
NullNix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2022, 09:47 AM   #32
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Both Kinds: epub based makes and Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by NullNix View Post
Yes, but what they do support is 'dual MOBI', which is a file that contains both MOBI and AZW3 (so, as usual, JSWolf's conspiracy-theorizing is wrong and AZW3 works perfectly well if you do it right). They do this so that both old Kindles with no AZW3 support and new ones both get the format they prefer. The dual form is never sent to the Kindle but is always stripped down to the one format that particular Kindle would prefer. Calibre has long supported this.
No doubt they will ditch Dual Mobi. AFAIK it's never worked for KDP. Send to Kindle is getting more like KDP now that web page has been added. No doubt they will limit to doc, docx, PDF and epub.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2022, 12:56 PM   #33
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by NullNix View Post
Interesting. I tried sending a dual mobi a while back and got the support for mobi is going away message in response. I just tried using Send to Kindle for Web and a dual mobi could not be sent.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mobi_begone.png
Views:	43
Size:	130.6 KB
ID:	198107  

Last edited by DNSB; 11-30-2022 at 01:06 PM.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2022, 04:48 PM   #34
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Interesting. I tried sending a dual mobi a while back and got the support for mobi is going away message in response. I just tried using Send to Kindle for Web and a dual mobi could not be sent.
I expected that.
So the only uses for dual mobi is content you created either for download from your own website or upload to Smashwords as well as an ePub. Smashwords only redistributes the epub.
Your own or family/friend kindle doesn't need dual, either azw3 (or KFX) for most kindles or old mobi /KF7 for KK2, DX, DXG and original Kindle.
Old 11-30-2022, 07:51 PM   #35
Little.Egret
Wizard
Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G, Kindle Fire 2, NOOK ST, Kindle HDX, Fire 7"
Quote:
It might be worth trying renaming a dual mobi file as type .TXT and then using Send to Kindle. Same for azw4
Little.Egret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2022, 08:20 PM   #36
hleo12
Fanatic
hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo (deceased), Kindle 4th, Kindle Basic 10th Generation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little.Egret View Post
It might be worth trying renaming a dual mobi file as type .TXT and then using Send to Kindle. Same for azw4
I just tried this. Both my 10th gen and K4NT received the same AZW format. I guess Amazon is really done with mobi at this point.
hleo12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2022, 07:07 AM   #37
NullNix
Guru
NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Oasis 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
No doubt they will ditch Dual Mobi.
... presumably screwing up people who send periodicals at the same time. Oh well, I can always pull them in using the internal web browser. (As long as they don't drop mobi support from the firmware, and *that* is most unlikely given that they've never in the history of the Kindle dropped support for any formats.)
NullNix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2022, 09:54 AM   #38
A Lurker
Connoisseur
A Lurker doesn't litterA Lurker doesn't litter

Device: Kindle
This debate has come full circle...

Amazon tries to prevent you from loading .awz3 files by blocking them from the sent-to-kindle email and app (which it appears you can get around by renaming the file extension .txt, but the point remains that they're actively trying to prevent you from sideloading .awz3 files). Why? Awz3 is the native format for Kindles. What motivation would they have to stop you?

This is why I believe @JSWolf might be on to something. He may not have it exactly right, but I suspect it has something to do with Amazons belief that only Amazon purchases are .awz3. They might believe that adding an non-purchased .awz4 is indicative of a bootleg.
A Lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2022, 10:49 AM   #39
innocenat
Connoisseur
innocenat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.innocenat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.innocenat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.innocenat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.innocenat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.innocenat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.innocenat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.innocenat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.innocenat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.innocenat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.innocenat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PPW5, Quaderno A4, Supernote A6X, Leaf 2
I believe the sole reason Amazon doesn't allow sending AZW3 is that Amazon don't have pipeline for converting AZW3 to other formats. Kindle iOS doesn't support AZW3.
innocenat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2022, 09:31 AM   #40
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Lurker View Post
This debate has come full circle...

Amazon tries to prevent you from loading .awz3 files by blocking them from the sent-to-kindle email and app (which it appears you can get around by renaming the file extension .txt, but the point remains that they're actively trying to prevent you from sideloading .awz3 files). Why? Awz3 is the native format for Kindles. What motivation would they have to stop you?
Amazon have many "Native" formats. Doc, docx and the preferred epub all convert to all of them. The epub is best. They don't accept ordinary mobi/KF7, azw3/KF8 or KFX for publishing.
They want to send KFX to apps, Fire and Whispernet.
Old Kindle eink and Kindle on iOS uses old mobi/KF7.
They also have fixed layout & periodical mobi for publishing.
There are some defunct formats.
The Kindle eInk, Fire and Apps can also display PDFs.
Old 12-03-2022, 01:32 PM   #41
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 14PM, Kindle Paperwhite SE, iPad mini 6, PocketBook Era
Quote:
Originally Posted by innocenat View Post
I believe the sole reason Amazon doesn't allow sending AZW3 is that Amazon don't have pipeline for converting AZW3 to other formats. Kindle iOS doesn't support AZW3.
AZW3 is intended for side loading to Kindles and Fire tablets (usually with DRM), to support 'not connected to internet' use case. From Amazon's perspective, these books are already in your Kindle library, so there is no requirement to have Send To Kindle convert these for use as Personal Documents.

Amazon does not offer downloadable AZW3 for side loading to Kindle for iOS or Android, or the Mac/Windows apps, they assume these are connected to internet devices.

If you want to side load to iOS, you can use calibre KFX output plugin to convert from whatever format you have. Then you can use Finder (macOS) or iTunes (Windows) to side load the KFX file over USB or wirelessly to Kindle storage. I think PDF can be side loaded that way as well, not sure about other Kindle formats, but I'm guessing dual format MOBI would work, and maybe de-DRMed AZW3.

Last edited by tomsem; 12-03-2022 at 01:37 PM.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2022, 03:00 PM   #42
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

If you want to side load on iOS use a real ePub app, not Kindle for iOS or Apple Books formerly iBooks. Same on Android.
Old 12-03-2022, 04:18 PM   #43
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 14PM, Kindle Paperwhite SE, iPad mini 6, PocketBook Era
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
If you want to side load on iOS use a real ePub app, not Kindle for iOS or Apple Books formerly iBooks. Same on Android.
Sure, if you prefer (which you would). It's not something I do much myself, because I buy nearly everything from Amazon and it's already in the Kindle app. I was pointing out that it's possible to do so, and how to do it.

If you are a Mac and iOS person (as I am), the Books app is perfectly adequate and the most convenient thing at hand to read third party ePub on Apple devices.

As I'm currently far more committed to Kindle platform, I read with it only occasionally, but as it is, I don't feel the need to install third party ePub apps that won't sync with anything or whose developer abandons it, or I have to have it in DropBox just to start reading: I can just open it from wherever it is on my Mac (e.g. a calibre folder), and it's instantly available on all of my iDevices, without being crippled as Personal Documents are on Kindle. When I'm done reading, I can just delete it and it goes away on all of my iDevices (and from iCloud storage). You can also add and remove third party content via command line on a Mac. It's seamless.

A bonus is that it's literally the only iOS ePub reading app that properly supports Speak Screen (or for those who need it, VoiceOver and Voice Control). (Kindle is a close second.)

But yes, don't purchase any books from Apple.

If I still had Android devices (well I do but it's a POS), I'd probably go with Pocketbook app. It does TTS, syncs between devices/platforms, and works with cloud services, OPDS, as well as their own, and complements their worthy eReaders.

Last edited by tomsem; 12-03-2022 at 06:01 PM.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2022, 11:45 AM   #44
MSWallack
Right, Except When Wrong
MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3 (sometimes iPad Mini).
I sent several EPUB books to my Kindle (via Calibre). One was delivered just fine; the other was not delivered. I received an error email from Amazon telling me that I needed to use an acceptable format (EPUB, MOBI, etc.). Again, the book was in EPUB. So I used the Modify EPUB plugin to make the UTF-8 correction (just in case) and sent the book again. Same result. Any idea why this one particular book can't be successfully sent to my Kindle when it is in EPUB?
MSWallack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2022, 11:51 AM   #45
innocenat
Connoisseur
innocenat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.innocenat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.innocenat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.innocenat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.innocenat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.innocenat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.innocenat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.innocenat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.innocenat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.innocenat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.innocenat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PPW5, Quaderno A4, Supernote A6X, Leaf 2
The UTF-8 correction only fixed the weird character formatting problem. It won't fixed other errors.

Try doing an EPUB to EPUB conversion in calibre and send the resulting EPUB. If there are still error, you might want to try opening the EPUB in Kindle Previewer 3 to see what errors it show.
innocenat is offline   Reply With Quote