Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Editor

Notices

Old 11-12-2022, 12:40 PM   #1
enuddleyarbl
Guru
enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
Any Way to Sort User Dictionaries?

In the spellchecker:

Tools > Check Spelling,

I can hit the dropdown button and select one of the user dictionaries I've created at:

Edit > Preferences > Editor Settings > Manage Spelling Dictionaries > Manage User Dictionaries > New Dictionary

Is there any way to sort that list of user dictionaries to be alphabetical? In Manage User Dictionaries, they're listed alphabetically. But, in the spellchecker dropdown, they're listed in the order I created them.

Last edited by enuddleyarbl; 11-12-2022 at 04:35 PM.
enuddleyarbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2022, 05:02 PM   #2
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
FWIW: They are listed alphabetically in the word list context menu pop-out:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2022-11-13 082302.jpg
Views:	539
Size:	42.8 KB
ID:	197682

Before doing any corrections, I work down the misspelt word list using its context menu (via the keyboard) to deal with words to be ignored or added to a user dictionary.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2022, 05:25 PM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
I wonder if the OP wants to sort the list of USER dictionaries (not the word lists inside one)?
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2022, 06:09 PM   #4
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
I wonder if the OP wants to sort the list of USER dictionaries (not the word lists inside one)?
The flyout list I posted is the USER dictionary list!

In the button clickers list, I get this:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2022-11-13 100208.jpg
Views:	618
Size:	149.9 KB
ID:	197685

In that list they are in ordered by when they were last activated: earliest to latest.

BR
Old 11-12-2022, 10:23 PM   #5
enuddleyarbl
Guru
enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Yep. I'm looking to sort the User dictionaries, not the lists of words. In the image below, the words in the book are in the left column and the dropdown list of user dictionaries is in the right column (the dropdown list is expanded there - in its rest case, it just shows the name of the dictionary currently selected). Note that the list of user dictionaries is sorted by the date I created them (oldest to newest). I'd like that dropdown list of User dictionaries in the right column to be sorted alphabetically:
Old 11-12-2022, 10:37 PM   #6
enuddleyarbl
Guru

It looks like all the user dictionaries and all the words in them are stored in:

...\AppData\Roaming\calibre\dictionaries\prefs.jso n

But, it's one big chunk of list. I suppose I could try to figure out how to properly edit a .json file to sort it. But, I don't know if bad things would happen and would really prefer to just hit a button saying something like "sort this list alphabetically."

I'm sure this kind of issue doesn't come up with 99.9999% of the people since most people probably haven't set up additional user dictionaries. Plus, those that have, probably don't have all that many. But, I add one for each author and it's becoming unwieldy.
Old 11-12-2022, 10:41 PM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
https://github.com/kovidgoyal/calibr...2f305d117d78a4
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2022, 02:58 PM   #8
enuddleyarbl
Guru

Thanks, Kovid.
Old 11-13-2022, 04:21 PM   #9
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
Originally Posted by enuddleyarbl View Post

Plus, those that have, probably don't have all that many. But, I add one for each author and it's becoming unwieldy.
Example: I have a handful of 'knowledge domain' dictionaries, but I rarely have more than one active for any one book.

I can understand why one might have author specific dictionaries if one reads a lot of fantasy, but why would anyone want Rowling's dictionary active when checking one of Prattchet's books - do they play quidditch on Discworld?

The Manage user dictionaries button can be accessed via Edit->Preferences->Editor settings->Manage spelling dictionaries when the Spell checker is active.

I occasionally add a word to the wrong user dictionary, which can only be rectified by manually removing it from that user dictionary, and sometimes I have the wrong user dictionaries activated. So, it would be nice to have that button (or the one preceding it) within the Spell Checker itself.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 11-13-2022 at 04:29 PM. Reason: clarity
Old 11-25-2022, 12:47 AM   #10
enuddleyarbl
Guru

I installed Calibre 6.9 this evening and it looks like it's very nicely sorting the user dictionaries alphabetically.

One thing I'll mention, though, is that the Default dictionary is no longer necessarily listed at the top of the list (it's alphabetical). Thus, I'm not sure if it can any longer be considered the "default" dictionary. I suppose it's "default" in the sense that it's the one that comes with Calibre and will be used if no other dictionaries are installed. But, if there ARE multiple user dictionaries, and any of those come before it alphabetically, then the first in that set will be the one that shows up by default in the list (and will be the one to which words are saved unless manually changed). I don't know if that's the intent. It works fine for me either way. But, I can see that it could be a possible issue with others.

Just thought I'd point it out.

Thanks, again, Kovid.

EDIT: It looks like the lump in the carpet has moved to a different spot now that the old spot has been suitably pummeled. If I right-click on a misspelled word in the text of the book (i.e., not from within the spellchecker tool) and hover over "Add this word to the dictionary," the list that comes up is the old list (sorted chronologically by creation date instead of alphabetically (and linking back to my comment, above, Default is at the top of that list )). Since I almost never use this mode, I don't have a problem with it. But, for the sake of consistency, I suppose that list ought to look like the one in the spellchecker tool.

Last edited by enuddleyarbl; 11-25-2022 at 01:00 AM.
Old 11-25-2022, 02:39 AM   #11
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
There you go
https://github.com/kovidgoyal/calibr...b1edf103ef3262
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote