Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 11-14-2022, 04:00 PM   #106
CrazyCoder
Zealot
CrazyCoder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CrazyCoder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CrazyCoder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CrazyCoder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CrazyCoder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CrazyCoder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CrazyCoder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CrazyCoder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CrazyCoder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CrazyCoder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CrazyCoder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (10th gen), Kobo Libra 2, Onyx Leaf2 Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by downeaster59 View Post
I'm using a Mac. When I try to run extract_android_ota_payload in Terminal, I get an error that the google module cannot be found, even though I have installed it. The Github page to post issues is now read-only. Any ideas?
pip install --upgrade protobuf==3.20.3

(might need pip3 depending on how Python is configured on your system)
CrazyCoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2022, 04:25 PM   #107
downeaster59
Wizard
downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini 6, Onyx Nova 2, Onyx Leaf 2, Nook Glowlight 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyCoder View Post
pip install --upgrade protobuf==3.20.3

(might need pip3 depending on how Python is configured on your system)
That did it! I now have my boot.img. Thanks!!
downeaster59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2022, 04:51 PM   #108
downeaster59
Wizard
downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I have root. Took longer than expected, but it's done. Moreover, I should have a setup in place to regain root when there are Onyx updates.
Old 11-14-2022, 11:45 PM   #109
CrazyCoder
Zealot
CrazyCoder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CrazyCoder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CrazyCoder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CrazyCoder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CrazyCoder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CrazyCoder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CrazyCoder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CrazyCoder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CrazyCoder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CrazyCoder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CrazyCoder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Just got the White version of Leaf 2 delivered and made some comparison photos with the Back version and with Kobo Libra 2.

Here is the album: https://imgur.com/a/BkJ66Md.

IMO, Leaf 2 White screen matches Libra 2 screen, if not better. What do you think?

Last edited by CrazyCoder; 11-15-2022 at 12:08 AM.
Old 11-15-2022, 12:25 AM   #110
poczynek
Zealot
poczynek is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.poczynek is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.poczynek is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.poczynek is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.poczynek is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.poczynek is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.poczynek is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.poczynek is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.poczynek is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.poczynek is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.poczynek is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: Kobo Forma
Quote:
Just got the White version of Leaf 2 delivered and made some comparison photos with the Back version and with Kobo Libra 2.

IMO, Leaf 2 White screen matches Libra 2 screen, if not better. What do you think?
Does it feel considerably lighter than the Libra 2? That's the main reason I have ordered the white.
poczynek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2022, 01:18 AM   #111
CrazyCoder
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by poczynek View Post
Does it feel considerably lighter than the Libra 2? That's the main reason I have ordered the white.
The weight difference between the White and Black Leaf 2 is 13g. Hard to tell right away, but might be noticeable after holding it for 2 hours?

But the weight difference between Libra 2 and Leaf 2 White is 38g which is noticeable.

Last edited by CrazyCoder; 11-15-2022 at 01:50 AM.
Old 11-15-2022, 01:47 AM   #112
poczynek
Zealot
poczynek is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.poczynek is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.poczynek is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.poczynek is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.poczynek is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.poczynek is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.poczynek is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.poczynek is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.poczynek is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.poczynek is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.poczynek is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Quote:
The weight difference is 13g. Hard to tell right away, but might be noticeable after holding it for 2 hours?
Yes the Libra 2 is 215g so should be noticeably lighter.
Old 11-15-2022, 01:52 AM   #113
CrazyCoder
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by poczynek View Post
Yes the Libra 2 is 215g so should be noticeably lighter.
Sorry, clarified my answer that it was the difference between Leaf 2 Black and White models.

My Libra 2 is 211g vs 173g for the White Leaf 2, so it's a 38g difference.
Old 11-15-2022, 01:54 AM   #114
poczynek
Zealot

Quote:
Sorry, clarified my answer that it was the difference between Leaf 2 Black and White models.

My Libra 2 is 211g vs 173g for the White Leaf 2, so it's a 38g difference.
Perfect. Thanks for that.
Old 11-15-2022, 02:37 AM   #115
CrazyCoder
Zealot

New firmware is available, you can do some button customizations now:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:
Old 11-15-2022, 07:21 AM   #116
downeaster59
Wizard

Quote:
New firmware is available, you can do some button customizations now:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:
That's quick! The last update was only a few weeks ago!
Old 11-15-2022, 10:23 AM   #117
Garret
Garret began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo HD, Onyx Boox Leaf 2
Quote:

Thank you for the album but is it me or the pictures have a very low resolution? Cannot click and enlarge them to see them "better".

May I ask your opinion on the two screens (white and black). Do you think there is a big difference? I personally prefer flush screen esthetically but many people swear that the difference in readability is like day and night between flush and sunken screen...

How is the warm light (more interested in the black version) if compared to the Libra 2? As I have understood, Libra 2 has been considered the standard for good uniform lighting and was curious how it compares to that.
Garret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2022, 11:41 AM   #118
CrazyCoder
Zealot

You should be able to click and open photos in the original resolution. I tried it in a browser, and on a mobile, it works fine. Try again in the Incognito tab and see if it helps. I'll also PM you a Google Photos link.

The difference is not big, in my opinion, but it's there. Some people are more picky than others, so it may be big for them. The screen is not as sunken as on Libra 2.

It may be a slight problem if you are a heavy app/gesture user as it's not as pleasing to start the gesture from the sunken border. Gestures work just fine, but it may not look and feel as good as the flush screen.

There is always a compromise, right?

If I had to choose between the white and the black versions, I'd probably go with the white. It's my first non black e-reader ever and I like how it looks. 99.99% of the time, it will be used in KOReader with hardware buttons to turn the pages. I don't plan to use it as an Android tablet and run other apps and switch between them. The white version is also more lightweight (13g difference). And I'd take a slightly better contrast for sure.

The warm light is on par with Libra 2 and works the same in black and white versions. It works as 2 lights, cold and warm that you mix together, so the controls can be confusing. For example, in KOReader the action which disables the front-light actually disables only the cold light (on Libra 2 it turns off the light completely). I plan to submit a bug so that it can be fixed. I'd prefer the separate sliders for brightness and warmness, not 2 sliders for different color temperature brightnesses. Not sure if one can emulate it in software. Otherwise, the light is very uniform. I have no complaints.
Old 11-15-2022, 01:42 PM   #119
mergen3107
Guru
mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Kon-Tiki 2
@CrazyCoder
Have you tried GentleGlow app from Github? It does exactly what you need: brightness overall and warmness sliders.

Yeah, KOReader’s support for Onyx Boox is a little mess. I opened a few related issues back then, pazos explained me to get them properly setup through the code and Android luajit, but I didn’t get to finish it.
mergen3107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2022, 01:46 PM   #120
mergen3107
Guru
mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Kon-Tiki 2
Here is one link: https://github.com/koreader/koreader/issues/8116

And that’s another: https://github.com/koreader/koreader/pull/8120
mergen3107 is offline   Reply With Quote