Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Editor

Notices

Old 10-14-2022, 09:14 PM   #1
XtinaS
XtinaS began at the beginning.

Device: none
Exclamation Spellcheck shows one (1) spelling error?

The book I'm editing has Klingon terms in it. Spellsheck only having one result is: unlikely.

I'm using the most recent version of calibre (as of today). I edit an EPUB file. I open any given chapter, just to be on the safe side. I click the spellcheck button. And all I get is the "word" "override_css".

What am I missing?
XtinaS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2022, 09:58 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
No clue. Either you installed a klingon dictionary or wordlist or your book doesnt actually have any klingon words. Or you told the editor to ignore them sometime in the past.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2022, 09:36 AM   #3
XtinaS

It's not just Klingon, it's anything. Proper names aren't caught. 'verse-specific terms aren't caught. I can even put in a deliberately misspelled word, like "kerflumpft", and it still doesn't pick it up.
Old 10-15-2022, 09:39 AM   #4
XtinaS

Son of a...

Turns out the {html} tag didn't have a language defined. So naturally spellcheck found nothing wrong, because in no language there are no misspelled words.

Case closed!
Old 10-15-2022, 11:29 AM   #5
enuddleyarbl
Guru
enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by XtinaS View Post
Son of a...

Turns out the {html} tag didn't have a language defined. So naturally spellcheck found nothing wrong, because in no language there are no misspelled words.

Case closed!
I've got plenty of books without a language defined (that I can find, anyway). Spellcheck is finding plenty of unknown words for me.

In the latest book I messed with, here's what the header of the files looks like:
Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" xmlns:epub="http://www.idpf.org/2007/ops">
<head>
<title>Midnight at the Well of Souls</title>
<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="stylesheet.css"/>
</head>

<body>...
EDIT1: Well, there is a "xml:lang="en"" at the top of the Calibre-produced titlepage.xhtml and toc.xhtml. But, nowhere else.
EDIT2: I also upgraded from Calibre 6.6.1 to the latest (6.7.1) and spellcheck is still finding plenty of unknown words. What version are you using?
EDIT3: And, if I pull out those two lang="en" tags (so there aren't any in the book), spellcheck is still working properly.

Last edited by enuddleyarbl; 10-15-2022 at 11:54 AM.
enuddleyarbl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2022, 12:07 PM   #6
enuddleyarbl
Guru
enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
Also, I do have a "<dc:language>en</dc:language>" tag in the content.opf file. But, even if I remove it, the spellcheck still works. But, with it gone, ePubCheck finds it and complains.
enuddleyarbl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2022, 01:41 PM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
I believe this is the Required one (that spell check uses as default)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2022, 11:44 PM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
IIRC the hierarchy goes like this:

1) lang on individual tag or its parents going all the way upto html tag
2) if (1) is not found fallback to language in opf file
3) if (2) isnot found fallback to the users interface language

I am guessing in this case, the users interface language is one for which there is no builtin dictionary.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2022, 01:29 AM   #9
Tex2002ans
Wizard
Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
IIRC the hierarchy goes like this:

1) lang on individual tag or its parents going all the way upto html tag
2) if (1) is not found fallback to language in opf file
3) if (2) isnot found fallback to the users interface language

I am guessing in this case, the users interface language is one for which there is no builtin dictionary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XtinaS View Post
The book I'm editing has Klingon terms in it. Spellsheck only having one result is: unlikely.
Klingon has been a valid HTML language since 2005:

Code:
lang="tlh"
You can see a list of every valid HTML language in:

Fun fact:

It even recently got added in LibreOffice 7.3 (See Bug #143946: "Add klingon as a supported language" for more info.)

Last edited by Tex2002ans; 10-21-2022 at 01:36 AM.
Tex2002ans is offline   Reply With Quote