Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 09-19-2022, 06:11 PM   #1
robowolf
robowolf began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Clara
Best e-reader for multiple library cards?

I have been reading on my phone for years, but I'm ready to go back to an e-reader. I've been going through Libby for e-books for a while and love it. I have multiple library cards that I use. What is the best e-reader (or e-reader brand/system) to use for this? I really prefer using Libby as well.
robowolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2022, 06:31 PM   #2
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by robowolf View Post
I have been reading on my phone for years, but I'm ready to go back to an e-reader. I've been going through Libby for e-books for a while and love it. I have multiple library cards that I use. What is the best e-reader (or e-reader brand/system) to use for this? I really prefer using Libby as well.
You could try a Kobo. Their builtin Overdrive integration allows you to borrow books on Libby and have them downloaded by syncing your Kobo.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2022, 12:19 PM   #3
dreambeat
Enthusiast
dreambeat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreambeat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreambeat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreambeat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreambeat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreambeat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreambeat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreambeat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreambeat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreambeat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreambeat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW2, Kobos Mini & Libra 2.
I've also found my Kobos and their Overdrive integration to be best with library books, but using multiple library cards does add a few extra steps to the process: you'll be able to sign into one card on the device itself to checkout books and have them automatically sent to your ereader, but for books checked out on other cards you'll need to use Adobe Digital Editions (or the deASCM plugin for Calibre) to transfer the epubs to your ereader - they won't be sent automatically, even if you're signed into multiple cards on Libby.

There is apparently a way to sign into multiple cards on the Kobo, but I've never been able to get it to work myself.

Also, you will be using Kobo's reading program to read your library books as opposed to Libby's, though you'll be able to do all of the same things (and more, in terms of adjusting font/page settings). If you want to run the Libby app directly on your ereader, you may want to look into Android-based ereaders.
dreambeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2022, 01:25 PM   #4
salamanderjuice
Guru
salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Nova 2
If you prefer using Libby just get one of the Android devices from Boox or Boyue. Then it'll run Libby just fine and stuff like magazines work whereas it's not possible on Kobo.
salamanderjuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2022, 04:55 AM   #5
Spinningwoman
Connoisseur
Spinningwoman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spinningwoman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spinningwoman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spinningwoman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spinningwoman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spinningwoman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spinningwoman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spinningwoman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spinningwoman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spinningwoman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spinningwoman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony prs-t1
Best e-reader for multiple library cards?

I’ve found my Pocketbook works excellently with library books when combined with my phone as its Dropbox integration (and apparently also email though I haven’t tried that) allows fulfilment of an ascm file on the device. Process - borrow book on Libby app on phone, select ‘download epub’ from the Read With options and save that download to the Pocketbook Dropbox folder. Then on the device got to the Dropbox app and select the ascm file which will then fulfill (obviously you need to put your Adobe DI ID on the device). Although not automated like Kobo, it doesn’t care if you have multiple cards and also works just as well with BorrowBox or the Kobo Store.
Spinningwoman is offline   Reply With Quote