Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 08-28-2022, 07:35 AM   #1
intrelis
intrelis began at the beginning.

Device: none
Cannot get epub to display with hyphenation

Hey guys,

I am converting a DOCX file with justified text and hyphenation (Bulgarian language) to EPUB, but when viewed in any EPUB viewer, there is no hyphenation at all.

How does it work exactly? Since EPUBs flow, there is no way the line breaks are hard coded. So is it dependent on the viewer app? Is it a matter of dictionaries? How do I make it work? Can I at all?

Thanks.
intrelis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2022, 12:20 PM   #2
Javibook
Javibook began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Plugin Hyphenate This!

Look at this, you should install this plugin:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=208534

Javibook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2022, 02:41 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javibook View Post
Look at this, you should install this plugin:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=208534

In a lot of cases, soft hyphens do not work. And if they do display correctly, searching most likely will not work. as you'd have to search with soft hyphens in your search. For ePub, soft hyphens are not a good idea.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2022, 02:42 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by intrelis View Post
Hey guys,

I am converting a DOCX file with justified text and hyphenation (Bulgarian language) to EPUB, but when viewed in any EPUB viewer, there is no hyphenation at all.

How does it work exactly? Since EPUBs flow, there is no way the line breaks are hard coded. So is it dependent on the viewer app? Is it a matter of dictionaries? How do I make it work? Can I at all?

Thanks.
What program are you using to display the ePub? Have you checked the CSS code to see if there is anything there stopping hyphens?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2022, 06:33 AM   #5
intrelis
intrelis began at the beginning.

Device: none
I am previewing it in Calibre, then using a mobile app like Readera or Pocketbook to display the epub. I don't see anything in the css that could stop hyphens, but then again, I don't understand much.
intrelis is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calibre, docx, epub, hyphenation