Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Server

Notices

Old 04-02-2022, 05:46 PM   #1
KariK
KariK began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
Content Server on local net only?

Hi, long time Calibre user, but have not used the Content Server much. Just upgraded my Calibre to the latest: 5.40. I'm trying to start the Content Server such that it only listens to the local net. Just starting it, I get the Internet address so I assume anyone could connect. Not interested in using a password every time I access it. So I tried using the calibre-server command but am getting an error:
>calibre-server --listen-on "192.168.86.0"
Failed to bind to 192.168.86.0 with error: No socket could be created -- (('192.168.86.0', 8080): [WinError 10049] The requested address is not valid in its context). Trying to bind to the default interface: xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx instead.
But my ipconfig /all command shows the interface:
>ipconfig /all
Wireless LAN adapter Wi-Fi:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : lan
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Dell Wireless 1705 802.11b|g|n (2.4GHZ)
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : XX-XX-XX-XX-XX-XX
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : (deleted) (Preferred)
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.86.120(Preferred)
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Saturday, April 2, 2022 4:05:09 PM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Sunday, April 3, 2022 4:07:19 PM
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.86.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.86.1
DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : (deleted)
DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : (deleted)
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.86.1
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Is there anything else I could try?
Cheers,
Kari
KariK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2022, 06:09 PM   #2
KariK

Umm, never mind. I realized I needed to use the server ip address, so 192.168.86.120 in listen-on. Then everything worked. Now I just need to find out how I can set that as a default for the Content Server.
Old 04-02-2022, 06:20 PM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by KariK View Post
Umm, never mind. I realized I needed to use the server ip address, so 192.168.86.120 in listen-on. Then everything worked. Now I just need to find out how I can set that as a default for the Content Server.
Look at server-config.txt in the config folder
(I thought there used to be a setting in Preferences: Sharing over the net, but I am blind )
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2022, 06:23 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Look at server-config.txt in the config folder
(I thought there used to be a setting in Preferences: Sharing over the net, but I am blind )
found it
Advanced tab: interface on which to listen (it is near the bottom)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2022, 08:43 PM   #5
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Maybe I'm missing something, but unless your router has a port forwarded to the port / IP address on your PC, the calibre server could not be reached from the internet.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2022, 10:40 PM   #6
KariK

Quote:
found it
Ok, got it, thx.

P.S. The pic looks more like the ducks are training the cat .
Old 04-16-2022, 12:32 PM   #7
peaceridge
Guru
peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura1, Nexus7.2, Galaxy Tab A 8.4, Ipad Air & Mini 6
Quote:
found it
Thanks, sometimes you answer questions I didn't know I needed answered. So much easier to get to Content Server from Ipad with a fixed address!
peaceridge is offline   Reply With Quote