Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Server

Notices

Old 04-14-2022, 02:35 PM   #1
isaac32768
isaac32768 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Question How to login to web interface?

I'm running Calibre 5.36 on my Linux desktop. I have the web content server running.

I mostly add books via the desktop UI and use the web content server to download books to my tablet. But sometimes I have a book on my laptop I need to upload. I can always copy the ebook over to the system running Calibre, but it would save a step if I could upload it directly using the web interface.

When I try to do this, Calibre tells me I can't, because I'm not logged in. Well, I've created a user and password in the "Sharing over the net" preference, but I don't see any place to enter these things over the web interface.
isaac32768 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2022, 09:46 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
If you have enabled user accounts int he server any attempt to connect to it will automatically ask for user and password.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2022, 05:14 PM   #3
isaac32768

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
If you have enabled user accounts int he server any attempt to connect to it will automatically ask for user and password.
How do I "enable user accounts"?
Old 04-15-2022, 08:13 PM   #4
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by isaac32768 View Post
How do I "enable user accounts"?
Hmmm... do a Google or other favoured search engine search?

Preferences => Sharing over the net. On the first tab, check the "Require username and password to access the Content server.

Make sure that you create at least one user account in the "User accounts" tab. See attached image.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	enable_users.png
Views:	95
Size:	51.1 KB
ID:	193248  

Last edited by DNSB; 04-15-2022 at 08:16 PM.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2022, 08:54 PM   #5
isaac32768

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Hmmm... do a Google or other favoured search engine search?

Preferences => Sharing over the net. On the first tab, check the "Require username and password to access the Content server.

Make sure that you create at least one user account in the "User accounts" tab. See attached image.
Your pointing me at the (not very obvious) feature I needed gets you a thanks.

Your patronizing assumption that I didn't try googling first gets you something less positive.
Old 04-15-2022, 09:21 PM   #6
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Your pointing me at the (not very obvious) feature I needed gets you a thanks.

Your patronizing assumption that I didn't try googling first gets you something less positive.
Oddly, the 3rd hit on my Google search gave me a link that had pretty much the same information I posted other than the added image. Sorry if this hurt your feelings but that's how it looked to me. I will admit that I'm still rather surprised after all the years that calibre Content server has existed, the manual for the GUI is rather sparse.

Here's the link I found: Calibre-Server on Ubuntu - enabled anonymous mode
Old 04-15-2022, 09:47 PM   #7
isaac32768

What was your google search?

Please read this before replying.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/fa...ing_guidelines
Old 04-15-2022, 10:08 PM   #8
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
What was your google search?

Please read this before replying.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/fa...ing_guidelines
Been there, read that over a decade ago.

As for the Google search, it was "calibre content server disable anonymous users". "calibre content server enable authenticated users" managed to hit the same page as the 5th hit.

Edit: I just tried "calibre content server enable user accounts" as I used authenticated and anonymous users in my original searches. The second image is what popped up. The link I posted moved down to 7 on the hit list. Perhaps my Google-fu is not quite up to scratch.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	google_search.png
Views:	85
Size:	36.0 KB
ID:	193252   Click image for larger version

Name:	color_me_red_faced.png
Views:	85
Size:	61.0 KB
ID:	193253  

Last edited by DNSB; 04-15-2022 at 10:16 PM.
Old 04-15-2022, 10:21 PM   #9
isaac32768

For some reason, it didn't occur to me to put "disable anonymous users" in my search.