Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 02-19-2022, 06:17 PM   #1
Koboder
Koboder is a glorious beacon of lightKoboder is a glorious beacon of lightKoboder is a glorious beacon of lightKoboder is a glorious beacon of lightKoboder is a glorious beacon of lightKoboder is a glorious beacon of lightKoboder is a glorious beacon of lightKoboder is a glorious beacon of lightKoboder is a glorious beacon of lightKoboder is a glorious beacon of lightKoboder is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kobo Libra 2 & Kobo Elipsa
Post Footnotes and text links... how to do? (Kobo Epub)

Hello everybody!

I am writing my first e-book. I'm using Sigil.

After wrote my .epub, I converted it in .kepub for Kobo devices.
Do you know how to differentiate footnotes from simple text links?

In kepubs, if I tap on footnote number a preview window opens... Ok, my ebook works in that way and it's good for me... but if I don't want that? For example I want tap on a word or a phrase and go directly to a paragraph, what should I do?

The automatic generated index (html TOC) even works like footnotes: I tap on Chapter Title and the footnote preview window appears instead of jumping to the related chapter!

I also checked in the downloaded ebook, but I can't see the difference between the footnote and normal text links attributes.

Koboder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2022, 10:03 PM   #2
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Kobo has details of what should be in books published through them in https://github.com/kobolabs/epub-spec. That includes when links are interpreted as footnotes and how to mark them up. That works for kepubs, whether they are purchased from Kobo or sideloaded.

There has been a lot of discussion on this in the Kobo and calibre forum. And probably the workshop.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2022, 08:55 AM   #3
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koboder View Post
I am writing my first e-book. I'm using Sigil.
FYI: If you've created an epub2 book, you'll need to convert it to an epub3 book with the ePub3-itizer plugin. Otherwise you won't be able to use epub:type attributes.

Shameless plug: since this is your first book, you also might want to install my EPUBCheck plugin and check your book for errors.
(If EPUBCheck reports any error messages that you don't understand, please ask about them in the EPUB forum.)
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
footnote links, link target