Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 02-01-2022, 03:37 PM   #1
Kaysclie
Addict
Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Forma, Aura One,Ipad Pro 10.5, Oasis 3
Tempted by the Apple Air 4

Now that the Apple Air 4 is coming down in price at Amazon and other places, I am thinking it would be a good time to purchase one. My current ipad is an Ipad Pro 10.5 purchased in 2017. I really do not need the power of a pro model and think an Air 4 would do all that I need. I guess what I am asking is would this be a good time to trade in the Ipad Pro based on its age. It can't last forever. Opinions would sure help me make my decision. Thanks for your thoughts.
Kaysclie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2022, 04:31 PM   #2
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Discounts on Air 4 are likely because the Air 5 is expected to be released soon.

I expect to see more or less what we got on the mini 6. Performance-wise, I expect just a very marginal increase over the Air 4. Air 5 might get more RAM and/or base storage but it's also entirely possible that Apple retains the current 4GB/64GB.

Personally, the only reason I would regret purchasing the Air 4 right now is if Apple upgrades RAM. Storage not really since I've seen the 256GB Air 4 on sale for $649. I don't see the base Air 5 (whether 64GB or 128GB) going for less than $599 and it'll likely be a while before we see any sales.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2022, 11:08 PM   #3
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy
OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, iPhone 13 Pro Max, iPad mini 6, iPad Air 2020, Alexa Devices
I like my iPad Air 4 (2020 model). I agree that the new iPad 5, whenever it gets released, will most likely be a small, incremental update to the iPad 4, so at the discounted prices these days I would get one if I didn’t already have one.

I’m not sure what you can get in trade for your iPad Pro though. But you will probably get more if you sell it to a friend or on eBay than doing the Apple trade-in program. Also, if you opt to trade it in to Apple, the company they contract with to manage the trade-ins is notoriously slow and sometimes even sleazy. So beware. It will likely take you 3 to 4 weeks to get the money from them on the trade in, assuming they don’t tell you some BS story and claim it is of zero value.

Last edited by OtinG; 02-02-2022 at 05:27 PM.
OtinG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2022, 02:31 PM   #4
DuskyRose
Guru
DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Air3 & Palma, Scribe & Paperwhite, Eclipsa 2e, & Libra 2, Ipads
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaysclie View Post
Now that the Apple Air 4 is coming down in price at Amazon and other places, I am thinking it would be a good time to purchase one. My current ipad is an Ipad Pro 10.5 purchased in 2017.
You can always go online at the Apple site and see what a trade-in of your machine would be worth. Especially handy of you have an apple store you can go to, and get a gift card. We've traded in various apple devices and the store has always given us the trade-in price listed on the web site.

It was one of the reasons I kept an old Touch, because the trade in was $0. they didn't even want it except to recycle it. (Which we died elsewhere, when it finally died.) And decided to keep my older iPad mini, because the trade-in value was only $40. For that, it's still a great screen, so now I have two mini's since I did want the new one.

Mailing in trade-ins are always iffy for me. You never know where they are, or how long it'll take for them to process. I'd rather just walk in and do it.
DuskyRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2022, 04:34 PM   #5
Kaysclie
Addict
Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Forma, Aura One,Ipad Pro 10.5, Oasis 3
Best Buy does offer to take trade ins toward your ipad purchase so that wouldn't be a problem. What I am really concerned about is if I would be better off with a new ipad air 4 (256) rather than a pretty old ipad pro 2017(512). Its a mind boggling question.
Kaysclie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2022, 05:02 PM   #6
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
I recently tried to trade in my iPhone 11 (offer was for $300). There is a VERY minor ding on one corner and they sent it back to me. Also I had neglected to remove it from Find My before sending it back. And although I did this after the fact, when it came back, it still ‘remembered’ my Apple ID (because probably it never got a chance to connect to iCloud and learn that it wan not associated any longer).

Apple only offered about $200 trade-in for my iPad mini 4 (just a couple of months earlier it was more like $260) so I sold it to a friend.

Trade-in is convenient, but it’s not always going to be automatic.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2022, 05:27 PM   #7
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
You can compare the devices on Apple's web site. The processor on the Air 4 has to be faster than the 2017 Pro.

You're much better off selling the iPad yourself on eBay or Facebook marketplace. I don't know the details, but Apple doesn't handle their trade-ins, a third party does.

I sold my 2nd gen iPad Air on eBay, with a cracked screen, for much more that I thought possible.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2022, 05:54 PM   #8
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy
OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, iPhone 13 Pro Max, iPad mini 6, iPad Air 2020, Alexa Devices
Quote:
Best Buy does offer to take trade ins toward your ipad purchase so that wouldn't be a problem. What I am really concerned about is if I would be better off with a new ipad air 4 (256) rather than a pretty old ipad pro 2017(512). Its a mind boggling question.
Here is a short comparison:
  • Pro has A10X processor, Air4 has A14 processor. A14 is probably a bit better.
  • Pro has Lightning port, Air4 USB-C. Air4 has faster file transfer capability.
  • Pro has ProMotion technology, Air4 no ProMotion technology. Pro will have better video refresh rate at 120Hz.
  • Pro has better sound with quad speaker sound, Air4 so-so sound with stereo sound.

I think the Pro is the probably the better choice if you want to watch video or listen to music. It also has more storage capacity.

Last edited by OtinG; 02-02-2022 at 06:00 PM.
OtinG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2022, 07:21 PM   #9
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
How much storage are you actually using?

I own both and I'd personally go with the Air 4. The Pro 10.5's CPU/GPU is starting to show its age. The Air 4 has 2x CPU performance of the Pro 10.5 and should last longer.

The Air 4 has better battery life as well and that's before considering the battery wear on a used Pro 10.5. I know my 10.5 dies pretty quickly now.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote