Notices

Old 10-29-2021, 04:22 PM   #1
Frizzell
Enthusiast
Frizzell began at the beginning.

Device: Moon Reader & Prestigio on Android
An old, bothersome subject... with a twist

Hi Kovid,

I know well that you've absolutely no interest in the involved work of expanding the Editor to incorporate WYSIWYG editing, so please don't get upset by the following inquiry. I only want to know if you've ever considered taking apart the last version of 'open source' Sigil v0.9.14 (from 2019) that still had the visual editing, and calling it a 'Fork' by integrating only the visual editing part of the code into the Calibre Editor. I realize it would still require a bit of coding to make it seamless, but it would completely bypass the 'Open With' and eliminate launching a separate program, and if the added size to the install is prohibitive, it could be made an 'install option for http dummies' during Calibre installation. And most importantly, everyone of us library aficionados who don't know beans about HTTP language would be shouting, "HOORAY! Look at what Calibre Editor can do now! Goodbye forever Sigil, and that's one less program on our computers!"

I'd be glad to dramatically increase my monthly donation for six months to make it worthwhile. Just contact me personally. And if anyone else reading this is willing to support such an endeavor, reply here in the affirmative.

It's a constructive thought... donor Frizzell

Last edited by Frizzell; 10-29-2021 at 04:25 PM.
Frizzell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2021, 10:08 PM   #2
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
FWIW, Sigil already did that and called it PageEdit which is a separate app that can be used with Calibre's editor via OpenWith and that could be easily interfaced like it has been done in Sigil with its Open Preferred External XHTML setting. That way you can stay with Calibre and still do a bit of WYSIWYG editing.

It has a user interface similar to Sigil's old BookView:

https://github.com/Sigil-Ebook/sigil...s/pageedit.png

https://github.com/Sigil-Ebook/pagee...ain_window.PNG

and can be downloaded from here:

https://github.com/Sigil-Ebook/PageEdit/releases

Last edited by KevinH; 10-29-2021 at 11:07 PM.
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2021, 12:44 PM   #3
rjwse@aol.com
Addict
rjwse@aol.com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjwse@aol.com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjwse@aol.com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjwse@aol.com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjwse@aol.com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjwse@aol.com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjwse@aol.com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjwse@aol.com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjwse@aol.com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjwse@aol.com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjwse@aol.com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle epub readers on android
I would like to hear more explanation. I use calibre's editor intensely, so much so that it is my current word processor. Since my two final outputs are pdf (for printing) and epub (for ebooks) I found it just as easy to use the editor without a word processor middle man. I find the editor to be WYSIWYAG (what you see is is what you almost get). The few exceptions are understandable. Can you elaborate on your request? Best regards, Pop
rjwse@aol.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2021, 11:12 PM   #4
Frizzell
Enthusiast
Frizzell began at the beginning.

Device: Moon Reader & Prestigio on Android
Maybe a simple launch icon in editor for pageedit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
FWIW, Sigil already did that and called it PageEdit
Well that would be even easier as all that would be necessary is to add a pageedit icon in the Calibre editor instead of using the Open With. I would be happy with just that. Could that be accomplished with an existing editor plugin?

Frizzell
Frizzell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2021, 11:15 PM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
If you want to use PageEdit, simply right click on a file in the editor files browser and choose open with and select pageedit
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote