Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 10-25-2021, 02:25 PM   #1
Evk
Evk began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
Hide Pages in MOBI (urgent)

Hi all,

I'm working on creating my eBook and I need to hide some pages (a kind of internal wiki) from the eBook index.

As I have verified, on MOBI the "linear = no" tag does not work, so I need an alternative solution to hide these pages from the eBook index.

I hope for your help.

Edoardo Volpi Kellermann - From Italy
Evk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 08:20 AM   #2
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Do you mean that you do not want this content to appear in the linear progression of the book, only if the reader explicitly jumps there from elsewhere? If so I don’t think that you can do that. The best you can do is put it at the end of the book.

If you mean that you don’t want it to appear in the table of contents then that is determined by how the TOC is built.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 09:03 AM   #3
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You may want to look into a Kindle feature called X-ray that allows extra information to be added outside of the regular content of a book. Amazon describes it this way: X-Ray is a unique Kindle eBook feature that allows readers to learn more about a character, topic, event, place, or any other term, simply by pressing and holding on the word or phrase that interests them.

See the KDP help topic X-Ray for Authors for details on how to generate it.

Last edited by jhowell; 10-27-2021 at 09:05 AM.
Old 10-27-2021, 09:23 AM   #4
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
There is a mobi (KF7?) specific HTML "no next page", so that later pages are only accessible via a link or TOC. I forget the syntax.

But it's now pointless because if you have a later kindle that does KF8 and/or KFX, then Amazon might not preserve it on conversion. Also you can't (allegedly) upload mobi to Amazon now. An epub upload to KDP is recommended with docx second best.

Summary: maybe 10 years ago for Kindle and Mobi only it was possible, unlikely now.

I was going to use it for a "plot your own adventure" back in 2012, but I'd do iOS and Andriod apps for that now, not even epub3.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 10:44 AM   #5
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evk View Post
Hi all,

I'm working on creating my eBook and I need to hide some pages (a kind of internal wiki) from the eBook index.

As I have verified, on MOBI the "linear = no" tag does not work, so I need an alternative solution to hide these pages from the eBook index.

I hope for your help.

Edoardo Volpi Kellermann - From Italy
As far as I know, there is effectively NO WAY to do this in Kindle format, whether we're talking ePUB, MOBI (now outdated and no longer uploadable), or KFX.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 12:20 PM   #6
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
There is a mobi (KF7?) specific HTML "no next page", so that later pages are only accessible via a link or TOC. I forget the syntax.
The syntax is: <mbp:pagebreak crossable="no"/>

As you wrote it is effectively useless since it only works on the oldest of Kindle devices.
Old 10-27-2021, 12:33 PM   #7
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post

As you wrote it is effectively useless since it only works on the oldest of Kindle devices.
Well, Diap and I both still have K2's, (as collectables, effectively, rather than eReaders that we actively use), so that's two devices where it would work.

Hitch
Old 10-28-2021, 10:56 AM   #8
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I have a feeling there's a lot more mobi-only kindle devices still in use than many people seem to want to believe.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 11:43 AM   #9
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I have a feeling there's a lot more mobi-only kindle devices still in use than many people seem to want to believe.
You know that we always, always, make a build inside the files for them. I have now and it still works. My theory is, as long as mine lasts, it is foolish to think that people are simply chucking them away for no reason.

Hitch
Old 10-28-2021, 12:13 PM   #10
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post

That's exactly the "command" I was thinking of.

It does work on the DXG, which they were still selling when PW3 came out, but only batches of old stock. But I never tested it on anything else.

I'd assume it works on any kindle that can use a KF7, maybe all of them? But you can't upload it to Amazon.

I have a KK3 that was my son's kindle, which has the last FW for it. It renders KF7 nicer than the DXG and I wonder did it always have KF8 or did it originally only do KF7. It had older FW when I got it, but I don't think I checked it before updating it. Within limitation of 167 dpi vs 300 dpi, it seems to render KF8 more accurately than the PW3. The PW3 image size bug has been mentioned before.
Old 10-28-2021, 01:06 PM   #11
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
I have a KK3 that was my son's kindle, which has the last FW for it. It renders KF7 nicer than the DXG and I wonder did it always have KF8 or did it originally only do KF7. It had older FW when I got it, but I don't think I checked it before updating it.
I haven't kept up with the nomenclature of the various Kindles, but if one of those K's in KK3 is for "Keyboard", then KF8 support was definitely a later addition to that device. It was pure, old-school-mobi-only when it was released. It even predated the "KF7" terminology.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 10-28-2021 at 01:08 PM.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 03:36 PM   #12
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

KK3 is Keyboard Model B008, between DX (B005) and DXG (B009). The Touch was next model. FW 3.4.3

I think that though the DXG is later than KK3, it's really just a DX with a better screen, thus likely not enough RAM etc to run later than 2.5.8 FW
Amazon don't even call the DXG (B009) with better screen a later gen, it's lumped with Gen2.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custo...MQC26VQQMM8XSW

We have one Basic model in the family that's not a Paperwhite, but has better than Basic 167 dpi screen. Like a PW3 screen with no front light.