Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-20-2021, 01:10 PM   #16
pgilster
Connoisseur
pgilster can teach chickens to fly.pgilster can teach chickens to fly.pgilster can teach chickens to fly.pgilster can teach chickens to fly.pgilster can teach chickens to fly.pgilster can teach chickens to fly.pgilster can teach chickens to fly.pgilster can teach chickens to fly.pgilster can teach chickens to fly.pgilster can teach chickens to fly.pgilster can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Kobo Aura One; Kobo Forma; Kindle Oasis 3
The Voyage is a gem, that's for sure. Thanks to all for the discussion and the YouTube video about battery replacement. Must ponder this!
pgilster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 12:04 AM   #17
SusanReads
Addict
SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by badgoodDeb View Post
Marvelous video - that looks manageable!
I did it myself and it wasn't that hard at all! I would say, go for it.
SusanReads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 09:53 AM   #18
pgilster
Connoisseur
pgilster can teach chickens to fly.pgilster can teach chickens to fly.pgilster can teach chickens to fly.pgilster can teach chickens to fly.pgilster can teach chickens to fly.pgilster can teach chickens to fly.pgilster can teach chickens to fly.pgilster can teach chickens to fly.pgilster can teach chickens to fly.pgilster can teach chickens to fly.pgilster can teach chickens to fly.

Thanks for the encouragement, Susan. I am working up the courage to try this!

I also enjoyed Dr. Drib's account of his morning coffee in Lima, at the outdoor cafe where he sat with his Voyage and contemplated the world. It reminded me of a time just after the Voyage came out. I had gone to Palo Alto for a meeting and had flown in that morning from the east coast. It was only 10 am and I didn't have to be at the meeting until 1, so I found a nearby cafe and set myself up with the Voyage propped up in from of me. A lovely Palo Alto morning out the window, a fine novel in front of me on a new Voyage, and an excellent cup of Celebes Kalossi. It doesn't get much better than that. Maybe that's a reason the Voyage continues to be a favorite here.
Old 10-22-2021, 06:00 AM   #19
drofgnal
Wizard
drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad Pro/Kindle Oasis 3/iPhone 13 Pro Max
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
My primary reader is my Oasis 3, but I will often use my Voyage when I go out and about, watching Peruvians with cell phones glued to their hands and mouths - their custom is to hold the cell phone in front of their mouth and speak directly into the microphone, and then switch it back to their ear when listening - while I contentedly sip my cappuccino and read, enjoying the now sunny days and remembering the occasion when one woman in her mid-50s walked butt naked down the sidewalk to (apparently) no one's surprise.

Such contentment: A cappuccino, a sunny day (with a light breeze drifting in from the ocean), an ebook reader, and an interesting story about killer clowns or narcissistic dolls.

That does sound like contentment! I do most of my outdoor reading on my back porch. Used to read at starbucks before work in the morning, however, since the pandemic that has stopped.
drofgnal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2021, 01:31 PM   #20
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Libra Colour, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Oasis3, Voyage
I wholeheartedly agree! The beautiful, flush display and those wonderful haptic "buttons" (still my all-time favorite) puts the Voyage in the eternal hall of ereader fame, IMO. It is the only ereader in my collection that warranted purchasing a spare (still new in box, charged monthly). To add to the enjoyment, it resides in the beautiful limited edition premium leather origami cover that I cherish.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Voyage_LE_Premium_Leather.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	159.1 KB
ID:	189790  
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2021, 01:52 PM   #21
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
... and those wonderful haptic "buttons" (still my all-time favorite) puts the Voyage in the eternal hall of ereader fame, IMO.
Hmm... I hated the haptic buttons. Well, they were better than no buttons at all, but I infinitely prefer physical buttons on my post-Voyage ereaders.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2021, 02:02 PM   #22
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Well, quite clearly, this is a pro-Voyage thread. The haptic "buttons" are outstanding, best of both worlds.
Old 10-23-2021, 02:12 PM   #23
pgilster
Connoisseur

Quote:
I wholeheartedly agree! The beautiful, flush display and those wonderful haptic "buttons" (still my all-time favorite) puts the Voyage in the eternal hall of ereader fame, IMO. It is the only ereader in my collection that warranted purchasing a spare (still new in box, charged monthly). To add to the enjoyment, it resides in the beautiful limited edition premium leather origami cover that I cherish.
Gorgeous case. Wish I had gotten one at the time!
Old 10-23-2021, 02:21 PM   #24
Skydog
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgilster View Post
Gorgeous case. Wish I had gotten one at the time!
And it actually is premium leather (bomber jacket-like) with the pleasing scent.
Old 10-23-2021, 04:21 PM   #25
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
That limited edition premium cover is very beautiful.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2021, 11:01 PM   #26
vrf
Addict
vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2, Voyage, Paperwhite 2, Kindle Touch, Kindle Keyboard, iPad Pro
Did anyone ever figure out why the Voyage screen was better than anything else out there? The blacks just look like actual ink on paper, but why can't Amazon or Kobo do that again?
vrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2021, 03:55 AM   #27
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by vrf View Post
Did anyone ever figure out why the Voyage screen was better than anything else out there? The blacks just look like actual ink on paper, but why can't Amazon or Kobo do that again?
Micro-etched glass or something. I guess it was too expensive to produce in the long run. Of course that's just a guess.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2021, 04:28 AM   #28
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
How good is the screen of the PW5?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2021, 08:31 AM   #29
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Micro-etched glass or something. I guess it was too expensive to produce in the long run. Of course that's just a guess.
That's also what I read: That it's the micro-etched glass.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2021, 10:14 AM   #30
pgilster
Connoisseur

I have to ask whether the limited edition leather case was an Amazon product? I assume it's no longer available, but I sure do like the look of it!

Paul