Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-20-2021, 07:16 PM   #46
DenS
Connoisseur
DenS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DenS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DenS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DenS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DenS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DenS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DenS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DenS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DenS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DenS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DenS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 5 SE
now it is possible to send azw3 files by email.
DenS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2021, 10:21 PM   #47
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenS View Post
That’s interesting. And with Send To Kindle I wonder?

Presumably this roughly doubles the size of what you can send.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2021, 02:26 AM   #48
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenUK View Post
I might as well upgrade. You can't keep your Kindle in aeroplane mode forever!
Of course you can. And I'm going to. No way will I want this update on my Oasis.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2021, 02:36 AM   #49
Jean
Zealot
Jean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: palm tx / Kindle 1 / ebookwise 1150 / Kindle Fire / Kindle Paperwhite
I Do Not like this update. I purchased a paperwhite without ads for a reason. I don't appreciate having my home screen having unsolicited recommendations for books I'm not interested in. I already have more books in my tbr than I have time to read.

Last edited by Jean; 08-21-2021 at 03:27 AM.
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2021, 03:01 AM   #50
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paperbackstash View Post
Ah, gotcha.

And yes they do put a lot of work into the app. That may be more commonly used than e-ink devices themselves.
There is no question that Kindle app installations vastly outnumber Kindles. I would guess 10x.

Kindle Vella launched on iOS, not on the Kindle (I still haven’t tried it — has anyone here tried it? Start a thread please.)

The Kindle app gets updates at a pretty steady once a month cadence. Half of them are ‘(unspecified) bug fixes and experience improvements’. I think they push updates even if nothing has changed, just to get accurate metrics on how many active installations are out there (that cannot be determined by ‘registered devices’ as these persist when the device goes out of service or offline for any reason). And they will know how many times people launch the apps, and can measure ‘engagement’.

Moreover, it is much easier to send Amazon feedback from within the app. It is possible, but unpleasant, to do it on Kindle.

So there is a much stronger feedback loop than with Kindles, which many people just operate offline all of the time.

“The squeaky wheel gets the grease”

Last edited by tomsem; 08-21-2021 at 11:13 AM.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2021, 03:01 AM   #51
WarrenUK
WarrenUK began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Of course you can. And I'm going to. No way will I want this update on my Oasis.
How can you say that when you've not even tried it? I've just updated and I don't know what all the fuss is about. 99% of the time people will be reading a book and that experience is no different than before. The layout of the menus are perfectly fine - no worse than previously. I think this update has been blown out of proportion by people who just don't like change.
WarrenUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2021, 04:07 AM   #52
realthk
realthk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.realthk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.realthk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.realthk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.realthk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.realthk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.realthk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.realthk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.realthk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.realthk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.realthk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3
Quote:
The layout of the menus are perfectly fine - no worse than previously. I think this update has been blown out of proportion by people who just don't like change.
No, I've been using Kindles since 2011, and had no problems with the changes before (and there were many), but this is just insane...

Absolutely no reason to have
- such a tiny font for the system menu you can hardly read,
- only 4 or 5 books in the list view
when the huge white space is not used for anything. Especially on the Oasis, with 7" display: the same amount of info might as well fit on a display half this size...
realthk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2021, 06:31 AM   #53
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
How can you say that when you've not even tried it? I've just updated and I don't know what all the fuss is about. 99% of the time people will be reading a book and that experience is no different than before. The layout of the menus are perfectly fine - no worse than previously. I think this update has been blown out of proportion by people who just don't like change.
I've seen photos and descriptions in this very thread. That's enough information to base my decision on. I would hate the new UI.

And you can't TRY an update with a Kindle. Once you update, you're stuck with it. You cannot downgrade, like you can with a Kobo.
Old 08-21-2021, 06:32 AM   #54
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Then why should people update if 99% of the time there is no change?
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2021, 07:18 AM   #55
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenS View Post
It always has been if you have a phone, tablet (with USB2Go) or PC as well as well as an eink kindle. Never been a problem for app users either.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2021, 08:49 AM   #56
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
It always has been if you have a phone, tablet (with USB2Go) or PC as well as well as an eink kindle. Never been a problem for app users either.
Nope, you couldn't send AZW3 by email or Send-to-Kindle. Only mobi or dual mobi.
Old 08-21-2021, 01:27 PM   #57
Shark69
Zealot
Shark69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shark69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shark69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shark69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shark69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shark69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shark69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shark69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shark69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shark69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shark69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
Have you tried multiple EXIF images?
What size(s) have you tried?

Even with the previous firmware I noticed that a book with very large cover image (3750x5000) caused the Kindle to reboot.
Yes... I've checked with several books. I can provide with you an ebook as an example. The size was always 900x600.
You gave me the clue to solve it here:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...if#post4124761

Last edited by Shark69; 08-21-2021 at 01:32 PM.
Shark69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2021, 01:29 PM   #58
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Nope, you couldn't send AZW3 by email or Send-to-Kindle. Only mobi or dual mobi.
I don't mean DIRECT to a Kindle via Amazon. I mean email from one phone/tablet/computer to another and then transfer (sideload) via USB. I experimented with the Kindle eink email address. The Kindle Email address is to be avoided as you have no way of knowing what Amazon does with the files or how secure they are. Also WiFi ON the actual Kindle is best kept off.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2021, 01:39 PM   #59
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
I don't mean DIRECT to a Kindle via Amazon.
Well, the original poster obviously did. Of course you have always been able to email your files to yourself in whatever format. I've done it occasionally when I'm on my office computer. On my personal devices I've got Dropbox, so no need to email anything.
Old 08-21-2021, 04:16 PM   #60
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark69 View Post
Yes... I've checked with several books. I can provide with you an ebook as an example. The size was always 900x600.
You gave me the clue to solve it here:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...if#post4124761
Yes, I would like to see an example.I have been busy with other thing but now I am interested in seeing what has changed with the new firmware.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote