Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 06-11-2021, 05:39 PM   #76
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Here is a link to a video comparing the Kindle Oasis to the Kobo Forma. The Link starts at 8:33. Pause the video at 8:35 and have a good look. I'd like to get your opinions. Thanks.

https://youtu.be/VbrEQWxj_ww?t=513
That's the 2017 Oasis, which has worse contrast than the 2019 one. Of course the Forma is better.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 08:17 AM   #77
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michal Jancik View Post
KOBO-Libra is not a very good contrast (contrast of an equivalent book) compared to KOBA-FORMA, which has significantly better contrast of both H2O and Oasis_10Gen.
* Unfortunately, I no longer have Oasis or KOBO-FORMA for photo comparison.
But I owned both devices and the form had better contrast and fineness of the font..

.. Compared to KOBO-LIBRA vs Oasis, OASIS is of course better on that.
Thanks for comparing
Best of what I've seen to worst, just text, without built in light:
1: Original H2O, though slightly lower resolution.
2: About equal: PW3, Kobo Libra and Likebook Mars
3: PW4, but fine if you've not seen the others.

I've not seen the Voyage, Oasis or Forma.

The Kobo Touch I had was dreadful with ghosting, Kindle DXG, older Basic, and KK3 all better.
The Nook Touch and PRS-350 similar quality and not quite as bright as the DXG (which uses a later screen than DX, which (I've not seen) or the KK3. All five of those are fine to read.
I did see the originally launched Sony in Dublin (maybe the 2nd model?), it was very grey and too expensive. But wife or I would have bought it to read Gutenberg texts if it had been cheaper. Tedious reading on 2002 laptop or CRT back then. Maybe 2006 or 2007.

Anyway with ambient light good enough for a paperback, any of the DXG, KK3, old Basic, PRS-350, PW3, Original H2O, Libra or PW4 are fine to read on. The DXG, KK3 and old Basic are slow and too low resolution. The 5" PRS-350 is nicer than a 6" phone. I found the slightly lower resolution Original H2O far better than the PW3 due to 6.8", annotation export via Kobo Utilities, series and collection management. The 300 dpi 7" Libra was the best over all, though not just as bright under ambient as original H2O due to better speed, easier to do selections and higher resolution.
The Mars was cheaper than the Forma and bought as a luxury to enable direct County Library access (Borrow box) via Android app. It's also better for PDFs.
I bought the DXG for PDFs, but despite 9.7" it's too slow and too low resolution for image based PDFs, the original H2O is better.

Cost here:
Cheapest is Mars, next is Forma and Oasis is the most expensive. Libra is cheaper than all three. Also the Kindles are poor at collections, series, annotation export compared to Kobo. You can load older firmware on a Kobo, but not usually on Kindle.

So I'd not buy an Oasis over a Forma (or Libra even) if the screen was a lot better. I find it hard to believe there is more than a marginal difference between any current eink that's 300 dpi.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 09:14 AM   #78
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

For me, weight, ergonomics and page-turn buttons are more important than an excellent screen. Also I prefer 7'' screens over smaller and since getting my first reader with the warm light feature (Oasis 3) that's a must-have as well (for reading in dim lamplight during autumn and winter. I don't like bright lights, not even a bright reading lamp.)

So I sold my Voyage, despite its having the best screen of all my readers. I found I no longer liked to use it. Now I mostly switch between the Oasis and the Libra, sometimes the Nook as well (it's heavier than the others and the software is much poorer, so not my favorite. Still, I don't want to sell it. It has most of the features important to me - buttons, nice big screen, warm light, and it's quite comfy to hold.)

The Libra has better ergonomics than the Oasis, but the Oasis has a better screen. As to software, both have their pros and cons. The Libra has an excellent integration with Calibre, more features and is far more customizable. The Oasis is faster and has global search.

As to price. I'm not rich or even well off by any yardstick, and I'm very price-conscious in most areas of my life. The only areas where quality is more important to me than price are stuff for my cats (litter, food) and my electronics (laptops, tablets, ereaders - my TV, fridge and other household stuff are on the cheaper side). The latter are the only really expensive items I own.

Last edited by Sirtel; 06-12-2021 at 09:32 AM.
Old 06-19-2021, 12:16 AM   #79
moorekom
Connoisseur
moorekom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moorekom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moorekom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moorekom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moorekom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moorekom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moorekom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moorekom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moorekom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moorekom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moorekom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe, Oasis 3, Kobo Aura One, Kobo Forma, Onyx Note pro.
I have a Kobo Forma, Kobo Aura One and a Kindle Oasis 3. I read manga in these devices so I notice and look for better contrast. The contrast in the Kindle Oasis is the best among the three, followed by Aura One and lastly by Forma. Forma has a Mobius screen which has less contrast than Carta screens (which is what is used in KO3 and KA1). While I use Aura One for manga mostly because of the size advantage it has over KO3, for anything text related, KO3 is my go to.
moorekom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 09:50 AM   #80
moorekom
Connoisseur
moorekom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moorekom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moorekom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moorekom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moorekom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moorekom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moorekom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moorekom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moorekom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moorekom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moorekom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Attaching links to images to show the difference in contrast. As you can see, for reading text, any of these devices should be fine. But, when it comes to contrast, KO3 is better.

https://i.ibb.co/B3LdhhH/ko3-vs-ka1.jpg
https://i.ibb.co/QmkKTkR/ko3-vs-kf-text.jpg
https://i.ibb.co/hgQ8Rzv/ko3-vs-kf.jpg
Old 06-19-2021, 10:18 AM   #81
howyoudoin
how YOU doin?
howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, iPad Pro 10.5”, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Libra 2
*delete*

Last edited by howyoudoin; 06-29-2021 at 11:55 AM.
howyoudoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 10:31 AM   #82
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by moorekom View Post
Forma has a Mobius screen which has less contrast than Carta screens (which is what is used in KO3 and KA1).
An interesting claim given that eInk shows their Mobius screen as Mobius Pearl with a 10:1 contrast ratio or Mobius Carta with a 15:1 contrast ratio which matches their glass substrate Pearl and Carta screens. You do realize that the glass or plastic substrate is behind an opaque display so the substrate will have no effect on the screen contrast?

You might want to read Electronic Ink Film which has a quick description of how the file is created and then laminated to the backplane which has the TFT electronics. And check the attached image where the backplane and film are listed in separate columns.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	eink_products.png
Views:	118
Size:	76.8 KB
ID:	187757  

Last edited by DNSB; 06-19-2021 at 10:38 AM.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 05:18 PM   #83
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Attaching links to images to show the difference in contrast. As you can see, for reading text, any of these devices should be fine. But, when it comes to contrast, KO3 is better.

Do you work for GoodEReader? Your photos favor the Kindle because the Kobo part of your photos is out-of-focus.

Also, in the text compare, are you using the same font? Not system fonts, but the exact same font side loaded. If not, the fonts used can be different and that test is then invalid.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 12:47 AM   #84
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Do you work for GoodEReader? Your photos favor the Kindle because the Kobo part of your photos is out-of-focus.
And the lighting is clearly coming from the left.

(Either way, both devices look pretty darn good.)
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 04:05 AM   #85
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
And the lighting is clearly coming from the left.

(Either way, both devices look pretty darn good.)
Definately a GoodEReader staffer with lighting and focus favoring the Kindle. And the fonts are not the same because they are system fonts and not the same side loaded font.
Old 06-20-2021, 04:51 AM   #86
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:

Firstly, I do not see that the KO3 has won the text only comparison. The focus across the two images makes it hard to see properly.

For the images, I am not sure if the difference is a contrast issue, or how the two devices render the pages. The KO3 looks sharper than the two Kobo's. But, that could be an issue with the original image and the format of the book you are displaying. If that image is the same size as the KO3, it will lose sharpness when scaled up for the other two devices.

Last edited by davidfor; 06-20-2021 at 08:30 PM. Reason: "won", not "one"
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 07:36 AM   #87
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
My Libra is perfectly evenly lit, when I use that, and similar contrast to a PW3. The PW4 is a bit poorer than both.

It's perfectly sharp.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 08:24 PM   #88
moorekom
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Firstly, I do not see that the KO3 has one the text only comparison. The focus across the two images makes it hard to see properly.

For the images, I am not sure if the difference is a contrast issue, or how the two devices render the pages. The KO3 looks sharper than the two Kobo's. But, that could be an issue with the original image and the format of the book you are displaying. If that image is the same size as the KO3, it will lose sharpness when scaled up for the other two devices.
For the text in the previous images, KO3 and KF have Bookerly fonts with no weight applied to them.

I have a Witcher book that I bought in both Kobo and Kindle platforms. I have downloaded it directly into the corresponding devices and I took a photo of how they render in each device. If you want to get an idea on how they would look in your devices, all you need to do is to download the sample from the respective stores.

For me to clearly demonstrate the difference in text clarity properly, I might need a studio setup, which I don't have. And even if I go that far, the difference in clarity, when it comes to text, is almost similar with KO3 having slightly more contrast. You will be fine reading in either device and you will only notice the better contrast in KO3 if you compare them by placing them next to each other. And even then, you can finagle the boldness or the weight to make them look almost similar to each other.

For images, KO3 is simply darker than Kobo. That said, my Forma has a whiter screen than my Oasis which helps it a little for reading text but not images.

About the setup for the photos below:

These photos were taken close to the portico in the evening where the sun light was even (as best as I could verify). The front-lights were off on both devices. Both these devices were set to font Caecilia with no weight or boldness to them. I believe the Kindle had the font size at 4 and the Forma had the font set at 11 in its scale. I switched the positions of both devices to make sure one is not favored over the other. Even then, you will notice hue difference in the photos with the images, thanks to the phone camera.

If you want the best representation, you just might have to order the devices and compare it real life yourself. In real life comparison, Oasis is darker than Forma (and Aura One). I went through some old photos in the thread and noticed the photo comparison between Oasis and Libra. The rendering difference between Forma and Oasis for images is almost the same. I understand that this might upset some Kobo fanatics here, but I do not have a stake in this matter. I have owned and own both Kindle and Kobo devices and use them for different purposes.

I use my Forma or Aura One for manga mostly because of the size advantage. It is usually a toss up between both and which one I go for depends on portability and whether I will be reading it in night. If it is for night reading, I use my Aura One since it has the best front-light for night reading (even better than Oasis), but I had to return a few devices because of the infamous green blotch issue before I got the one I have now.

I use Oasis to read anything text based. I like the form factor better, the availability of landscape mode is a plus (compared to A1) and the night mode in Kindle is better than Kobo imo.

All that said, here are the screenshots:

https://ibb.co/FwDThYp
https://ibb.co/Dbh3rGF
https://ibb.co/VtDD5Cn
https://ibb.co/pwn9NXp

PS: I have had a Kindle Voyage before and I would rank the contrast as following: Voyage, Oasis 3, KA1, Forma. Nothing I have seen so far comes close to the contrast of the Voyage. I have never seen a Kobo H2O device which was supposed to have had good contrast and I do not remember where the PW3 will rank in this listing as I owned it a while back and do not remember how it looked like now.

Last edited by moorekom; 06-20-2021 at 10:46 PM.
Old 06-20-2021, 08:34 PM   #89
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

After looking at the new photos o the KO3 and Forma, I have to say, I'd go with the Forma. The text looked better and for the images, the KO3 lost detail that the Forma shows.
Old 06-20-2021, 09:45 PM   #90
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
After looking at the new photos o the KO3 and Forma, I have to say, I'd go with the Forma. The text looked better and for the images, the KO3 lost detail that the Forma shows.
You'd go with the Forma over the Oasis even if it had ten times poorer contrast. No need to search for excuses. We all know your preferences.

Anyway, IMO it's been proved in this thread that Kobo is not always and necessarily better at image rendering and contrast. Some Kobo readers are better than some Kindles, and some Kindles are better than some Kobos.

Me, I don't really care. Both Kobo and Amazon produce excellent readers and I'm happy with both my Libra and my Oasis.